2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

43 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

honestly I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around or make sense of their admissions process. why would they stagger the rejections like this??? 

Maybe the decision is made field by field by the respectives professors. This could be an explanation. 

Edited by Larm

21 hours ago, ana21 said:

I applied there too, was hopeful until today, I mean we might still make it, I wish you the best of luck. (comparative politics too)

I talked to one ND professor at the beginning of the week (who is not in the committee this year) and of course he doesn't know the particulars of what's going on but he said there is still hope up until the end of the 15th or so.

Of course, then a couple days later they started to admit CP applicants, so I don't know. Did they call you for an Interview?

Thanks and best of luck for you too.

1 hour ago, peggy.olson said:

honestly I cannot even begin to wrap my mind around or make sense of their admissions process. why would they stagger the rejections like this??? 

Or perhaps they notify the applicants who are DEFINITELY yes or DEFINITELY no and then it takes more time to sort out the rest. Again, just a speculation. But I noticed that some people were accepted to top programs as late as April 15th last year, so we really don't know until we know.

37 minutes ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

Or perhaps they notify the applicants who are DEFINITELY yes or DEFINITELY no and then it takes more time to sort out the rest. Again, just a speculation. But I noticed that some people were accepted to top programs as late as April 15th last year, so we really don't know until we know.

People accepted later at top programs (like beyond the regular wave of accepted applicants) are almost always waitlist->accepted, not late acceptances, and had previously been notified of their waitlist status.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, mackeycold said:

Does anyone know anything about the quality/strength (s) of Rice's program? And damn it, TAMU and UC Davis are dragging their feet! 

Now I was left with a doubt: Is Rice in a similar level than Notre Dame, WashU or Vanderbilt? 

1 hour ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

Wait, really, they are accepting people on the date they have to notify programs by? Crazy. And some of the graduate schools/deans have insane policies, wherein they make them make their initial offers and hold out for forever until they hear back before they can send out waitlists or more acceptances. But it is ridiculous, a decent number of my schools are holding out with radio silence. Will Vanderbilt still be doing some interviews next week or if I didn't hear from them, is it RIP for me? 

On 2/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Larm said:

Now I was left with a doubt: Is Rice in a similar level than Notre Dame, WashU or Vanderbilt? 

Rice is ranked at 33. (WashU is ranked 19, Vanderbilt is ranked 24, and ND is ranked 37)Their website kind of hides their grad students (no subfield available), which worried me, as did their placement. Not sure how they are for American, but they had some decent people. I am looking for a place where I can do some more historical/qualitative work.

2 hours ago, threia said:

Does anybody know how often people in the waitlist are accepted into the program? I'm in the waitlist for Duke and pretty nervous about it

It depends on the program. Some schools lean heavily on the waitlist, some don't use it at all. I'm not sure about Duke.

3 hours ago, threia said:

Does anybody know how often people in the waitlist are accepted into the program? I'm in the waitlist for Duke and pretty nervous about it

From the results page, I only counted one wait-list -> admit on the PhD side since 2014. Of course, this was a cursory glance on mobile and also not all results are reported, but it's pretty clear that they typically waitlist a lot of people who in the end will be rejected. 

13 hours ago, appleapple said:

Congrats. When did you hear from BC? 

Would you please share some of your research interests?

I heard from BC yesterday, actually, but supposedly more stuff is going out in the next week. My research is pretty varied in scope: if it's not Medievals or Christians, I'm probably at least a little into it. My thesis is on Hobbes, but I've done a bit of work with the Greeks and a considerable amount with the Americans, which had a bit of a bridge with APD stuff as well. My biggest keyword is probably distinction.

Edited by ICanRead

2 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

Has never happened to me, but some Northwestern decisions have come out on the weekends?

Okay. I guess its taking longer than ususal this year to hear the decisions, still havent heard from chicago but the portal welcome status has changed, no clue whatsoever.

I have a question about contacting faculty at a school where you are waitlisted.

I'm waitlisted at a school (School A) that's comparable in fit with the schools I'm accepted at. There's definitely a chance that I will go to School A if accepted. In that case, is it appropriate for me to contact the faculty at School A or even visit?

2 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

I have a question about contacting faculty at a school where you are waitlisted.

I'm waitlisted at a school (School A) that's comparable in fit with the schools I'm accepted at. There's definitely a chance that I will go to School A if accepted. In that case, is it appropriate for me to contact the faculty at School A or even visit?

I wouldn't visit unless they invite you to the visit. I'm honestly not sure about the pro/cons of contacting the faculty. 

1 minute ago, IcedCovfefe said:

People from programs keep asking if I have any questions.  In most cases, I either don't have questions yet or I'd rather ask them in person on a campus visit, but I feel stupid just telling people "nope I'm good" when they're reaching out.  Anyone else struggling with this?

Maybe take that opportunity that you have to ask questions to set up a face-to-face meeting on your visit day? That way it doesn't seem like you don't have any questions, just that you'd rather ask them in person.

24 minutes ago, IcedCovfefe said:

People from programs keep asking if I have any questions.  In most cases, I either don't have questions yet or I'd rather ask them in person on a campus visit, but I feel stupid just telling people "nope I'm good" when they're reaching out.  Anyone else struggling with this?

Yes, so much. I have a trillion emails that I haven't answered yet because I don't know what to say. I'm thinking a "I look forward to meeting with you during the visitation weekend." Honestly what I really want to ask them is about what faculty are going to move/retire and what faculty will be joining them soon, but I feel this may only be appropriate to ask in-person.