2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

27 minutes ago, Chronicoverthinker said:

What's the general wisdom on follow-up e-mails after an interview? I had a Vandy interview and didn't have the adequate chance to address one question/concern I thought deserved some more in-depth discussion. Would it be crazy/inappropriate to send a follow-up e-mail addressing that concern? 

It probably isn't inappropriate, but I'm not sure it will help (in terms of maximizing probability of admission). It won't hurt either, probably. So I guess if your goal is to get a question answered an email is worth it, but otherwise it's probably a wash. Others can correct me on this, but my impression of interviews is that they're just trying to see if you seem like a normal person who can articulate about the work you're doing

1 hour ago, trinityshot said:

It probably isn't inappropriate, but I'm not sure it will help (in terms of maximizing probability of admission). It won't hurt either, probably. So I guess if your goal is to get a question answered an email is worth it, but otherwise it's probably a wash. Others can correct me on this, but my impression of interviews is that they're just trying to see if you seem like a normal person who can articulate about the work you're doing

Thanks! 

On 2/6/2019 at 10:29 PM, Kathleen517 said:

Anyone who has received an acceptance from American University SIS, do you have any idea if all acceptances have been sent out/will be sent out over the next couple of days?

Hi- not sure if anyone answered you yet, but the first round of acceptances started February 5th. I received an acceptance, but it was indicated that it was an "Early" acceptance. So I am sure there will be more acceptances rollings through throughout the month.

Has anyone heard anything from UCSD post-admission email? Have been emailed by professors from other departments and gotten lots of info on open days that are in April, but I haven't heard anything from UCSD professors/department, which is weird because their visiting day is in less than a month.

1 hour ago, pscwpv said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCSD post-admission email? Have been emailed by professors from other departments and gotten lots of info on open days that are in April, but I haven't heard anything from UCSD professors/department, which is weird because their visiting day is in less than a month.

Nothing from UCSD. The other schools I've been accepted to haven't said anything either.

8 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I got rejected from BC. I really feel like something is very wrong with my applications overall

The admission process is sometimes totally unpredictable, so don't take it too personally. I hope everything works out for you!

2 minutes ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

The admission process is sometimes totally unpredictable, so don't take it too personally. I hope everything works out for you!

Thank you so much, but I really take these rejections personally. I know there is nothing like "safety" in Ph.D. applications as getting into any Ph.D. program is very competitive and connected to many variables such as fit, scores, interview, and personality. However, for many programs I got rejected, I thought I really have a shot, and that frustrates me so much. I guess I am not made for a Ph.D.

Just now, TheBunny said:

Thank you so much, but I really take these rejections personally. I know there is nothing like "safety" in Ph.D. applications as getting into any Ph.D. program is very competitive and connected to many variables such as fit, scores, interview, and personality. However, for many programs I got rejected, I thought I really have a shot, and that frustrates me so much. I guess I am not made for a Ph.D.

I know how it feels like... I have been "officially" rejected from 3 schools, with some implied rejections from many schools that I thought I would have a shot. This whole admission process has been extremely stressful. But just one application doesn't, and of course can't, represent you as a whole. You still got into BU! This might not be the best encouragement I can think of, but I think it is amazing to have an acceptance in such a competitive process. I just like to think there were too many stellar candidates this year, not that I am underqualified. Let's just have tons of good food and shake it off. You'll have better deals from other schools!!!!

4 hours ago, pscwpv said:

Nope, I haven't heard anything either. Followed up today and no response yet.

4 hours ago, pscwpv said:

I've gotten some emails from my subfield professors, but no specific info about the visiting day. 

3 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I've gotten some emails from my subfield professors, but no specific info about the visiting day. 

4 minutes ago, gradqs said:

Nope, I haven't heard anything either. Followed up today and no response yet.

Ya my assumption is official acceptances haven't cleared the graduate school. Once they have, the official offers and further info will follow. The portal still says 'under review'. My research interests could theoretically involve quite a few of their academics, though, so I'm really not even sure who my POI would be.

2 hours ago, TheBunny said:

Two things:

1. This process is absolutely brutal. I don't know any person who would go through this and not have the very same feelings. It's one thing to understand on an intellectual level all the things we know about how admission decisions can be arbitrary, how lots of extremely impressive applicants get denied every year, etc. It's a whole other thing to get there emotionally. After all, we are pouring out our thoughts and ideas and shiniest accomplishments onto paper for the purpose of being judged. That's a really hard thing not to take personally.

2. Something that has been helping me deal with rejections (in addition to all the stuff about it being arbitrary and what not) is that the people making these decisions are looking at a much reduced version of you. You can only glean so much from some stats and a personal statement. If you have racked up all the signifiers that told you you'd be a good fit for those schools, you were probably right and just got unlucky. Trust the sense of self you had when picking schools to apply to. I was really spiraling after getting two rejections in the same afternoon and then picked myself back up the next day thinking that it's a shame I wasn't accepted because I am going to be an awesome grad student and I'm sure they would love me if I was there. Can't say I always feel that way, but it's a start. 

10 hours ago, onestensemble said:

Hi- not sure if anyone answered you yet, but the first round of acceptances started February 5th. I received an acceptance, but it was indicated that it was an "Early" acceptance. So I am sure there will be more acceptances rollings through throughout the month.

Someone already responded to my post on the results page, but thank you for letting me know.  I ended up receiving my rejection from AU SIS yesterday (luckily, I've already been accepted at Indiana and waitlisted at Minnesota).  Congratulations on your acceptance!

3 hours ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

I really agree with this. @TheBunny, I remember you saying that you have to stay in the Northeast. That might mean you just couldn’t get enough lottery tickets.

I applied to 15 schools ranged T10-40, because I’m lucky enough to have time on my hands and no geographical restraints. I’ve been rejected up and down the ladder at schools with good fit. My acceptances seem more or less random. I think that besides maybe for exceptional candidates who stand out everywhere, the admissions process really is a crapshoot. 

Obviously I don’t know you, but for what it’s worth, you seem like a really passionate scholar who works hard and plans carefully. I’m sure you’ll be great in whatever program you decide to attend. And if sociology isn’t being as welcoming to you as political science, their loss, our gain ?

Edited by dvxyzijil

4 minutes ago, dvxyzijil said:

I really agree with this. @TheBunny, I remember you saying that you have to stay in the Northeast. That might mean you just couldn’t get enough lottery tickets.

I applied to 15 schools ranged T10-40, because I’m lucky enough to have time on my hands and no geographical restraints. I’ve been rejected up and down the ladder at schools with good fit. My acceptances seem more or less random. I think that besides maybe for exceptional candidates who stand out everywhere, the admissions process really is a crapshoot. 

Obviously I don’t know you, but for what it’s worth, you seem like a really passionate scholar who works hard and plans carefully. I’m sure you’ll be great in whatever program you decide to attend. And if sociology isn’t being as welcoming to you as political science, their loss, our gain ?

Thank you for your kind words :) I think this application process thought to me that I love political science slightly more than sociology. Also, sociology programs are super super slow to answer applicants. I only heard back from one sociology program, but I heard back from 4-5 political science programs. You are very right about the geographical constraint. My only regret is that I wanted to apply Georgetown (a bit of a stretch but I may have worked it out with my husband) a lot but the application fee to two different programs was so expensive, and I did not apply. Except for that, I do not have any big regrets. If I need to apply again (which currently I do not think so, I think BU is the best fit that can ever happen to me), I may try to work on my GRE and SOP a bit more.