2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

On 3/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, guesswellsee said:

Hello! I was accepted with a partial tuition waiver (2/3), but I only have the 2019 application option (no 2019 fellowship option) under the "2019, Master's Degree, International Relations". The final portal (after you click the 2019 application) has a status update link which then takes you to the offer and scholarship info. There is also a link to reply to the offer of admission. So I am not sure what the "2019 fellowships" would mean in your case, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! I wish I could just have a clean and nice closure soon :) Are you going to attend CIR then?

5 minutes ago, TheSAfiltercoffee said:

Really silly question but what does POI stand for? 

Person of Interest, whether it be faculty or admissions. Update: Just got off the phone with them, they just finished reviewing Ed.D candidates, so M.Ed's are gonna take a bit, probably 1-2 weeks before those decisions are distributed.

1 hour ago, I.Macks said:

Person of Interest, whether it be faculty or admissions. Update: Just got off the phone with them, they just finished reviewing Ed.D candidates, so M.Ed's are gonna take a bit, probably 1-2 weeks before those decisions are distributed.

Just wanted to point out that this is the Political Science PhD thread and so you may want to go over to the Ed.D forums to get better information.

34 minutes ago, tjdnv37vz said:

Anyone in theory waiting to hear back from Harvard and Chicago?

I believe Harvard sent all admits and waitlists for all of the subfields. Only the rejections did not come.

1 hour ago, Tedmonkey said:

Just wanted to point out that this is the Political Science PhD thread and so you may want to go over to the Ed.D forums to get better information.

True true, is there a forum for M.Ed candidates or just Ed.D? Some posters on this thread were asking about Pitt so that's why I'm on here

4 hours ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

Thanks! I wish I could just have a clean and nice closure soon :) Are you going to attend CIR then?

Most likely, but I am still waiting on a few schools (only applied for Masters programs) and funding offers before I commit. 

11 minutes ago, guesswellsee said:

Most likely, but I am still waiting on a few schools (only applied for Masters programs) and funding offers before I commit. 

Good luck on other schools! I am happy that I got some offers from masters program at least after being rejected for phd programs. I will have to wait for fellowships before I decide too, but I am really looking forward to CIR's offer :) Wish you have a wonderful day!

On 2/9/2019 at 3:43 AM, quesadilla said:

My interviewer for CP told me he was interviewing 8 and admitting 5. He made it sound like everyone has been given an interview request already, but I could be wrong. I got an acceptance email from him today but it’s not a formal one from the DGS. Best of luck with both schools!

May I ask how many people are on the waitlist for CP at Notre Dame? I was interviewed and then waitlisted by Notre Dame but later accepted to Wisconsin-Madison, just wondering if there's any trade-off between these two programs.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:21 AM, MidnightSkywalker said:

Hey for those who received a CIR admission with full/partial tuition waiver offers, did anything change on the application portal at all? I see a new application for "2019, Master's Degree, International Relations" that has two options when opening it: 2019 & 2019 fellowships. I didn't receive any email from the department yet, but would this mean I got accepted to CIR? I didn't even know I would be obsessed with small details and overthink this often before I started my PhD application :P

Hey there @MidnightSkywalker,

This is merely speculation on my part, but I believe your ability to apply for a Master's Degree, International Relations, under the UofChicago SSD portal is due to the CIR application deadline being some time in April (but the program's website does mention that applicants who miss the priority deadline will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis until all available spots are filled). Most likely, your PhD application switched to a Master's. Personally, I noticed that I could apply for 2019 Department-wide Dissertation Fellowships (under "New Application") before receiving the CIR offer, which is actually what prompted me to assume that the decision was not an outright rejection -- so I really hope the same holds true for you as well!

6 hours ago, guesswellsee said:

I'm in a similar situation, waiting on news from Harvard (so a rejection apparently) and Georgetown for my PhD applications, and I think my only MA application, a dual-degree at Fletcher, will be an acceptance since the Associate Dean contacted me with positive feedback -- before the Admissions process formally began -- indicating that an official decision would come in the first two weeks of March. Since last semester proved to be absolute hell, from natural disaster-induced disruptions and an obscene number of roadblocks, I only applied to four PhD programs and Fletcher. I also performed quite poorly on the GRE (153/148/5.5 -- V/Q/AW), without enough time to retake it. So the CIR offer is actually far better than what I had come to expect by mid-February. I'm still waiting on NSF GRF decisions, but considering that I can probably make use of the Yellow Ribbon Program, and have 2-3 months remaining on my GI Bill, I think the 50% tuition offer is really generous -- so I will most likely attend CIR as well. The fact that it is only 9 months, and that 95% of their PhD-seeking graduates get fully-funded offers, is really hard to beat lol. Still, the program will lead to a substantial amount of debt, but I'm graduating from a mediocre four-year public University, there's just no way I could pass this up.

4 hours ago, dreamschoolcometrue said:

Any news about the CU-boulder? They sent the admissions but still rejections and waitlists are not sent. I want to end this waiting regardless of the result.

They just had accepted students weekend and I think all admission offers have been made, but not 100%. 

8 hours ago, dreamschoolcometrue said:

Any news about the CU-boulder? They sent the admissions but still rejections and waitlists are not sent. I want to end this waiting regardless of the result.

I think they said they had 27 acceptances and were hoping for 14 students to matriculate. They may be holding off to send more offers if they fall short of that target, but that is just a total guess.

4 hours ago, amyvt98 said:

Just got a wait list notification from Georgetown.

Nice! I'm still waiting to hear back. Did they mention anything about further timing/acceptances & rejections that have gone out already? Would love any further info

Ugh I see some posts about University of Chicago results on the survey, but I haven't received any email from them after submitting the application! What is happening? :o End this nightmare quick if you are not going to accept me, Chicago... :( I am like swimming in the pool of false hope now, though I know it's too late for the congratulations email.

Edited by MidnightSkywalker