2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

4 hours ago, Larm said:

NYU. The Graduate Enrollment Services told me the program is still going out with decisions and that we can expect to hear in the next week or so...

Does anybody claim NYU IR acceptances? It seems as though the offers that went out one month ago were all non-IR? Could anybody confirm/deny this? Thanks 

1 hour ago, nikhanbury said:

Does anybody claim NYU IR acceptances? It seems as though the offers that went out one month ago were all non-IR? Could anybody confirm/deny this? Thanks 

NYU requested that admitted students RSVP for the visit by Feb 20th, so I doubt any acceptances would have come out later than that.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:04 AM, pscwpv said:

Last year's came out about a week from now

Gotcha, thanks. Do you know if DPIR has waitlists for their masters programs, or if it's just offers and rejections?

4 hours ago, Corsette said:

Anyone else get really depressed doing recruitment visits>

I mean, you could have no visits to conduct at all. I would think that would be a bit more depressing. Not to invalidate your feelings in any way, but you're in a much better spot to have decisions to make rather than no acceptances/options at hand. I hope it all goes swimmingly!

22 hours ago, Corsette said:

Anyone else get really depressed doing recruitment visits>

My personal opinion is that if this is how you’re feeling after visiting the schools, you should seriously consider the CIR program at Chicago and hold off on starting a PhD until you’re in a better position to get into a program you’re going to be more enthusiastic about.

I only applied to two programs because I didn’t want to be in the position of potentially spending the rest of my life with regrets, wondering if I could have done better. It looks like I’m going to strike out but I think that’s better for me long-term than making a bad decision on something so important.

13 hours ago, OmniscienceQuest said:

I only applied to two programs because I didn’t want to be in the position of potentially spending the rest of my life with regrets, wondering if I could have done better. It looks like I’m going to strike out but I think that’s better for me long-term than making a bad decision on something so important.

I agree with your method 100%. Towards the end of my application season I panicked a bit about not getting in anywhere, which caused me to apply to a bunch of schools that were not a great fit and/or were lower than my desired ranking. In the end, I found myself totally apathetic to the acceptances/rejections I got back from those specific schools. Just a waste of time and money to apply anywhere you don’t love.

1 minute ago, Slamm said:

Just a waste of time and money to apply anywhere you don’t love

While I definitely agree that you should only apply to schools that you would actually want to and enjoy attending, I would caution against only applying to one or two highly ranked programs. IMO admissions into the top 10 or even top 20 programs is really a crapshoot, you could have a 4.0 GPA, a 340 GRE, and a few publications and still get rejected from a top 20. It often seems like admissions to them are so random and nonsensical, so I would urge you to not put all of your eggs into one or two highly ranked schools. Many many schools not ranked in the top 20 have wonderful programs and great placements, and while I do totally urge you to apply to top 20 schools if you think you have a shot at them, look outside of those programs too. It never hurts to have a backup plan or two.  

On 3/10/2019 at 11:38 AM, smug-face said:

Gotcha, thanks. Do you know if DPIR has waitlists for their masters programs, or if it's just offers and rejections?

I don't know, but they typically accept quite a few people people on the premise that very few will get funding so the rest have to self-fund. So for 15 spots in Comp Gov they might accept 30 people or so but funding very few of those.

2 hours ago, Dwar said:

While I definitely agree that you should only apply to schools that you would actually want to and enjoy attending, I would caution against only applying to one or two highly ranked programs. IMO admissions into the top 10 or even top 20 programs is really a crapshoot, you could have a 4.0 GPA, a 340 GRE, and a few publications and still get rejected from a top 20. It often seems like admissions to them are so random and nonsensical, so I would urge you to not put all of your eggs into one or two highly ranked schools. Many many schools not ranked in the top 20 have wonderful programs and great placements, and while I do totally urge you to apply to top 20 schools if you think you have a shot at them, look outside of those programs too. It never hurts to have a backup plan or two.  

This. I was on the waitlist at a very prestigious graduate program last year (top 10), but I was rejected from all of the top 25 and beyond programs I applied to. It's very random. 

Anyone received the acceptance letter from NYU for their Master's program? I am surprised that they didn't offer me ANY funding! I received some good funding from other schools. Should I negotiate scholarships/fellowships or is it just a waste of time?

3 hours ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

Anyone received the acceptance letter from NYU for their Master's program? I am surprised that they didn't offer me ANY funding! I received some good funding from other schools. Should I negotiate scholarships/fellowships or is it just a waste of time?

Hey! I received my acceptance today too. No funding either. I checked their website and it states that the IR department does not offer funding for Master's students. I will likely be turning it down. An amazing school and program but just so, so expensive as an international student.

4 hours ago, devotee said:

Any updates from the University of Washington? Or is it completely nonsencial to expect something positive at this point?

UW has their visit event later this week. Acceptances went out over a month ago mentioning a very small class of admitted students (10). I would place hope elsewhere at this point. 

6 minutes ago, chloe123 said:

Hey! I received my acceptance today too. No funding either. I checked their website and it states that the IR department does not offer funding for Master's students. I will likely be turning it down. An amazing school and program but just so, so expensive as an international student.

I am an international student as well! Well, I am going to give it a shot. It's one of the most expensive schools around the world, so I won't be attending unless I get some funding either. Still, asking them if they can provide some funding wouldn't hurt... I hope you have a better offer from a better school!

Edited by MidnightSkywalker

On 3/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, BooksFoodie said:

please elaborate like they sent them out today on a sunday????????

Indeed I got mine on Sunday. It was an email top check portal where I found an extremely short generic rejection letter. Perhaps they have them staggered/rolling?

2 hours ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

I am an international student as well! Well, I am going to give it a shot. It's one of the most expensive schools around the world, so I won't be attending unless I get some funding either. Still, asking them if they can provide some funding wouldn't hurt... I hope you have a better offer from a better school!

Good luck! It definitely can’t hurt and it would be great if you’re able to secure some funding. Would love to hear what they say if you have the time to update!

On 3/11/2019 at 8:12 PM, OmniscienceQuest said:

My personal opinion is that if this is how you’re feeling after visiting the schools, you should seriously consider the CIR program at Chicago and hold off on starting a PhD until you’re in a better position to get into a program you’re going to be more enthusiastic about.

Wasn't an issue with the program. I was much better the next day after being around the department. I just didn't realize how initially isolating it would be. I hadn't expected that, but I'm over it. Emotional reaction understood and processed, back to "rational decision making". I also have a distrust of the word pioneer.