2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

For those looking for how many posted Harvard admits, don't forget to check under "Government" and not just "Political Science". Some post under one and not the other, just be aware there are a few who post under both.

53 minutes ago, tjdnv37vz said:

What's the verdict? Which subfield? 

They called me a few days ago to tell me I was admitted. I was just letting people who haven't heard yet know. American/methods

On 3/1/2019 at 8:09 AM, lukadoncic said:

Hahaha damn, they didn't even send me a rejection email or let me know I'm on the waiting list. Oh well, thanks for the info, I'll list them as a rejection at this point. 

Email Dr. Chambers. She's cool but scatterbrained. The professors/admission committee I talked to said they let everyone know either way. Your application might be an oversight. I'd definitely reach out though

23 hours ago, SuperSmash said:

In at Notre Dame's IR PhD Program but also got into Chicago's CIR with half tuition. Both are amazingly great fits, but Chicago would mean I'm taking on a good probably 50k worth of debt. What should I do?????

if it were me, instead of spending 50k to go through the weird cycle again, i'd do ND since it's a good fit then aim for a nice postdoc after.

4 hours ago, MissTimshel said:

Anyone have a sense of how many students eventually get off waitlists at top programs?

Can I ask which programs you're waitlisted at?

Hello all, I guess lots of you guys are receiving letters from grad schools nowadays. 

I am international applicants from South Korea, applying for the 9 schools of International Affairs program.

It sounds a little bit early to make final decisions but I am seriously considering where to head in recent days so I need your opinions about each school and program as many as I can (I already checked US news and FP rankings..)

I am thinking of either having a professional job (I know it is really hard to get a job in the US as an international student but think it is worth to try... ) or getting a doctoral degree. 

Especially, it will be a great help if you give me comparisons between AMERICAN SIS  and UCSD GPS because I love DC for their great geographic advantages such as accessibility to think tanks, governments, and internship opportunities but at the same time financial and employment-related problems are also considered. 

Thanks! 

The schools and program names which I got in so far are listed below:

AMERICAN SIS - MA in International Affairs, Comparative & Regional Studies (Scholarship pending)

UCSD GPS - MA in International Affairs/regional specialized in Korea Studies (Scholarship pending)

SYRACUSE MAXWELL- MA in IR (Scholarship pending)

UNIVERSITY OF DENVER JOSEF KOLBERT SCHOOL - MA in International Affairs, 25k/year

PENN STATE SIA - MA in International Affairs, 20k/year

Pending: SAIS Johns Hopkins, LSE, GWU, UW 

Rejections: none 

Edited by jane15

Hey for those who received a CIR admission with full/partial tuition waiver offers, did anything change on the application portal at all? I see a new application for "2019, Master's Degree, International Relations" that has two options when opening it: 2019 & 2019 fellowships. I didn't receive any email from the department yet, but would this mean I got accepted to CIR? I didn't even know I would be obsessed with small details and overthink this often before I started my PhD application :P

1 hour ago, jane15 said:

Hello all, I guess lots of you guys are receiving letters from grad schools nowadays. 

I am international applicants from South Korea, applying for the 9 schools of International Affairs program.

It sounds a little bit early to make final decisions but I am seriously considering where to head in recent days so I need your opinions about each school and program as many as I can (I already checked US news and FP rankings..)

I am thinking of either having a professional job (I know it is really hard to get a job in the US as an international student but think it is worth to try... ) or getting a doctoral degree. 

Especially, it will be a great help if you give me comparisons between AMERICAN SIS  and UCSD GPS because I love DC for their great geographic advantages such as accessibility to think tanks, governments, and internship opportunities but at the same time financial and employment-related problems are also considered. 

Thanks! 

The schools and program names which I got in so far are listed below:

AMERICAN SIS - MA in International Affairs, Comparative & Regional Studies (Scholarship pending)

UCSD GPS - MA in International Affairs/regional specialized in Korea Studies (Scholarship pending)

SYRACUSE MAXWELL- MA in IR (Scholarship pending)

UNIVERSITY OF DENVER JOSEF KOLBERT SCHOOL - MA in International Affairs, 25k/year

PENN STATE SIA - MA in International Affairs, 20k/year

Pending: SAIS Johns Hopkins, LSE, GWU, UW 

Rejections: none 

Go check out the Government Affairs topic! They have threads for each school, including the ones you mentioned. You will have more information about those programs there :) 

5 hours ago, MidnightSkywalker said:

Hey for those who received a CIR admission with full/partial tuition waiver offers, did anything change on the application portal at all? I see a new application for "2019, Master's Degree, International Relations" that has two options when opening it: 2019 & 2019 fellowships. I didn't receive any email from the department yet, but would this mean I got accepted to CIR? I didn't even know I would be obsessed with small details and overthink this often before I started my PhD application :P

Hello! I was accepted with a partial tuition waiver (2/3), but I only have the 2019 application option (no 2019 fellowship option) under the "2019, Master's Degree, International Relations". The final portal (after you click the 2019 application) has a status update link which then takes you to the offer and scholarship info. There is also a link to reply to the offer of admission. So I am not sure what the "2019 fellowships" would mean in your case, but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I guess someone asked about NYU at the results section. I e-mailed them and they told that not all the admission offers are gone out yet, and there will be some more coming out next week. So I guess there is still hope, but not sure if there is hope for us, as Kafka once said. 

1 hour ago, nietzsche's moustache said:

I guess someone asked about NYU at the results section. I e-mailed them and they told that not all the admission offers are gone out yet, and there will be some more coming out next week. So I guess there is still hope, but not sure if there is hope for us, as Kafka once said. 

I guess that they referred to Master's program admissions coming for rejected PhD applicants. No way it could be PhD admissions, based on historical record. I would really like it to be true given that I myself applied to NYU, but the reality is in most cases very harsh. Guys, it would be better for all of us not to have false hope...

Hello all,

I am still waiting to hear back from Rutgers and New School. I saw a few acceptances on the results page but didn't see any rejections or waitlists.

Does any of you got a rejection from these schools or got waitlisted? 

On 3/2/2019 at 1:19 AM, wara said:

I think it probably boils down to what your research interests are and who you think you might be working under as your POI.

UNC! Mostly because I'll very likely be there lol... I'm comparative though... But I do know Duke has some good theorists too and I think what makes UNC and Duke very appealing is that if you attend the one you can relatively easily utilize the resources of the other. 

Northwestern does have a shortlist, but is unlikely to move on it. Good luck to anyone else on it, this is the only offer I have outstanding, so fingers crossed (but fortunately am already in a PhD program). 

1 hour ago, martinn said:

UNC! Mostly because I'll very likely be there lol... I'm comparative though... But I do know Duke has some good theorists too and I think what makes UNC and Duke very appealing is that if you attend the one you can relatively easily utilize the resources of the other. 

You are probably correct all things equal. UNC is a better department with more resources. Plus you have Duke right there. It's the better place to go if you have no idea which school to choose. But Theory has a terrible job market. It is all individual relationships and networks of similar minded people. Consequently if you want to do something specific like a deliberative democracy + comparative political theory dissertation, UVA might be the better choice. If you still only have a vague idea about what you want to do then yeah just go to UNC.

Edited by wara

On 2/26/2019 at 10:39 PM, Corsette said:

Ouch, that seems risky from a retention point. I can see the benefits from potential gaining students who were rejected from top tier programs, but they risk competing against other mid-tier programs that will already have had a chance to "court" candidates. Well good luck to those still awaiting. 

So they're saying they hope to distribute decisions this week according to the Enrollment officer I contacted, I left a message for the POI I was in contact with as well. I totally agree with you because Pitt was the only program I applied to and saw myself at, don't want to be passed over or overlooked by rejections from high-tier M.Ed programs, best of luck to you as well.

10 minutes ago, I.Macks said:

So they're saying they hope to distribute decisions this week according to the Enrollment officer I contacted, I left a message for the POI I was in contact with as well. I totally agree with you because Pitt was the only program I applied to and saw myself at, don't want to be passed over or overlooked by rejections from high-tier M.Ed programs, best of luck to you as well.

Really silly question but what does POI stand for?