Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

14 hours ago, higaisha said:

Got an email from Queen's saying my GRE score wasn't submitted and that I have to submit before tomorrow. I was like ?????? uhhh pretty sure i submitted an unofficial AND official report so i just reattached my score report.

It means that app review is happening soon tho LOLOL! Get excited

I got the exact the same email. I've emailed the graduate office and they are working it out. They are probably undergoing a lot of stress and pressure at this moment. Hope it will resolve soon. 

5 hours ago, FallGO said:

I got the exact the same email. I've emailed the graduate office and they are working it out. They are probably undergoing a lot of stress and pressure at this moment. Hope it will resolve soon. 

Ahhh good to know it wasn't just me, haha!

25 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Hey guys :) I'm new to this forum but figured I should join in!

Interviewed for Dalhousie last week and was just officially accepted yesterday!  Good luck to ya'll!

Congrats!! :) Good to hear an acceptance has rolled in. 

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

Interviewed for Dalhousie last week and was just officially accepted yesterday!  Good luck to ya'll!

Whaaat? That's insane. Wasn't the deadline December 1st? Wow. I didn't know programs make decisions that fast.

Congratulations! and enjoy the ride :)

2 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

so quick, lucky! enjoy your holidays without the stress of awaiting a decision~

2 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

I didn't apply to Dalhousie, but I am curious to know who you applied to. Can you DM me your POI's initials? Thanks! 

Thank you everyone! Was not expecting to hear back until January. :)

2 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Whaaat? That's insane. Wasn't the deadline December 1st? Wow. I didn't know programs make decisions that fast.

Congratulations! and enjoy the ride :)

I had no idea as well, given that the deadline is Dec 15th (?). I submitted my application earlier than the stated deadline so perhaps they had a chance to review my application earlier?  Thank you! :)

Does anyone know how McGill works? My POI basically said "as long as you get through the admissions committee, I can take you in my lab".  Do faculty not have a say in this process? I thought they did for some reason..

18 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Does anyone know how McGill works? My POI basically said "as long as you get through the admissions committee, I can take you in my lab".  Do faculty not have a say in this process? I thought they did for some reason..

Based on what I know, a professor can't decide alone whether to take a student. The decision is made by the admission committee which contains other professors in the department. Once the admission is recommended, the school's graduate office has the final say if the official offer will be sent out or not. As long as your grades and records are competitive enough compared to other applicants and you meet the minimum requirement, you should be fine :) Another factor that may affect whether you will receive an offer or not is funding. 

All the best!

Hey everyone! I initially posted on the 2019 PhD applications thread but they kindly linked me to the Canadian-specific thread! I was pleased to see it was only 4 pages long, much more do-able than reading 50+ pages of posts!

I am currently a second year MA student at McGill University in Counselling Psychology. I have applied into the PhD stream there, but I have also taken my chances with McGill Clinical PhD and uOttawa PhD (French Stream). I am hoping to get into uOttawa and apply to the concentration in child and adolescent psychology in my 2nd year of PhD studies. I was awarded CGS-M SSHRC this year at McGill and have also applied for PhD funding from both SSHRC and FRQSC. 

Anyone else apply to McGill Clinical, Counselling or uOttawa Clinical? I will post if/when I hear any news of course!

Lastly, I last used this site in my 4th year of undergrad when I was applying to graduate programs for the first time and it definitely became stress-inducing once I saw other people receiving interviews from the same professors I applied to! Managing and limiting your time on the site is definitely for the best if you're a little bit obsessive about these things like I am !

Please reply or message me privately if you had any specific questions ?

7 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

In addition to what the other poster said, your POI might not know yet if they’ll be allowed to take a student. Most programs limit their cohorts to 5-10 people so if 15 profs want to accept students or something, the committee will have to establish a priority list. 

55 minutes ago, hdclark said:

School: Queen's University

Type: PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Dec. 29, 2018

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype interview in coming weeks to discuss research ideas/compatibility

Interview date(s): The week of 1/7/19

Congrats yo! Hoping to hear back from Queen's too, but my quant was under their 'cutoff' of 60thp so I think I might be out the running this year. 

1 hour ago, hdclark said:

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype interview in coming weeks to discuss research ideas/compatibility

This is amazing - congratulations!! Would you mind PMing me the initials of your POI? I also applied to Queen's as well!

20 hours ago, Piagets#1Fan said:

Hey everyone! I initially posted on the 2019 PhD applications thread but they kindly linked me to the Canadian-specific thread! I was pleased to see it was only 4 pages long, much more do-able than reading 50+ pages of posts!

I am currently a second year MA student at McGill University in Counselling Psychology. I have applied into the PhD stream there, but I have also taken my chances with McGill Clinical PhD and uOttawa PhD (French Stream). I am hoping to get into uOttawa and apply to the concentration in child and adolescent psychology in my 2nd year of PhD studies. I was awarded CGS-M SSHRC this year at McGill and have also applied for PhD funding from both SSHRC and FRQSC. 

Anyone else apply to McGill Clinical, Counselling or uOttawa Clinical? I will post if/when I hear any news of course!

Lastly, I last used this site in my 4th year of undergrad when I was applying to graduate programs for the first time and it definitely became stress-inducing once I saw other people receiving interviews from the same professors I applied to! Managing and limiting your time on the site is definitely for the best if you're a little bit obsessive about these things like I am !

Please reply or message me privately if you had any specific questions ?

I’m waiting to hear from McGill clinical! Do you know when they typically review apps?

2 hours ago, hdclark said:

Congrats!! Best of luck on the interview :) 

3 hours ago, hdclark said:

Heyy Congratulations!! Good luck on your interview! Sending you good vibes :) 

6 hours ago, higaisha said:

Congrats yo! Hoping to hear back from Queen's too, but my quant was under their 'cutoff' of 60thp so I think I might be out the running this year. 

Don't worry too much now, I think there is still hope. Each supervisor has different schedule and timeline to contact potential students for interviews. Let's worry after two weeks ?

50 minutes ago, JoyJoy said:

Don't worry too much now, I think there is still hope. Each supervisor has different schedule and timeline to contact potential students for interviews. Let's worry after two weeks ?

Haha thats right, everyone does work on a different timeline, but I think it'd be better not to know the POI in this case lololol! We're in this together!

The Canadian thread is so supportive, y'all are awesome!