How are you preparing for next year?

WhatLikeItsHard

Hi all! My due dates were all last weekend and like the most of us here I'm feeling antsy!! I'm trying to strike a balance between catching up on personal things I need to get done (finally cleaning, spending more time with friends, actually cooking rather than eating frozen dinners, etc.) and preparing for - hopefully - interviews.

What are you doing in this limbo period? Are you prepping or trying to avoid your email? Any tips on what to start doing right now (I feel like interviews come up SO FAST and I want to prepare while I have time!!)

Avoiding GradCafe!

4 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Stress baking, wine drinking, trying to save money for a suit, staying as busy as possible to keep me distracted!

Same, except for saving money for a suit - I save money to fuel the wine drinking... also, we should trade recipes ?

Good luck to you all!

Edited by mayu101

7 hours ago, mayu101 said:

Avoiding GradCafe!

Same, except for saving money for a suit - I save money to fuel the wine drinking... also, we should trade recipes ?

Good luck to you all!

Just got done making 9 dozen of our family choc chip recipe. Calls for 1lb of butter ❤️

1 hour ago, petitebiscuit said:

Just got done making 9 dozen of our family choc chip recipe. Calls for 1lb of butter ❤️

Awesome - do share the recipe, am feeling low on butter lately! 

My semester doesn't end for another two weeks so theoretically my work should be keeping my busy. But in reality, I got back into Pokemon Go so that I could check my phone like my brain wants me to but also not obsessively refresh my e-mail. 

Also am very in favor of a cookie recipe exchange - I've got a recipe for soft, buttery sugar cookies that always seem so comforting during winter. 

Alright y'all this recipe yields 9 dozen chocolate chip cookies cookies. It's best made while drinking wine with your best friend, SO, or family. I swear, they just taste better that way.

Cream together: 1lb unsalted butter (NOT MARGARINE), 16oz DARK brown sugar, 1 1/2 cups sugar

Add: 2 tbsp. vanilla, 3 eggs

Beat this mixture for 3 minutes.

Mix in: 6 cups of flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 2/2 tsp. salt.

Finally, fold in 24oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and 2 cups of nuts if you're a psycho and like nuts in your cookies..

Alternatively, you can use the base recipe to make white chocolate macadamia nut cookies by folding in 24oz of white chocolate chips and 2 cups of macadamia nuts.

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. My non-official word is that they bake best at 13 minutes.

I recommend scooping your dough out with a small ice cream scoop, maybe a 1 1/2inches in diameter!

Good luck!

This is kind of extra, but I knew I'd need a formal "project" to occupy my brainspace over the next few months so that I didn't dwell on waiting for decisions, so I've signed up for teacher training to become certified as a yoga instructor! I think having a project outside of academia with a clear end and start date will help me in the waiting. Plus, getting in shape is always a good way to prep for a new life stage!

I applied last year, too, albeit to only a small handful of reach schools since I was really happy with my job, but I didn't get in. As a result, the panic this year is super real. 

Planning and having little projects is the only way I know how to distract my brain. I am leaving in March for a(nother) long distance hike, so I've been meticulously planning and researching gear deals. And shamefully, I've also planned out my move to multiple possible cities complete with contingency plans and created multiple spreadsheets with projected budgets based on cost of living and expected stipends at each school I've applied to.

I’ve been doing a bit of a baking marathon.

6 dozen raspberry shortbread thumbprint cookies and a pan of copycat Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars today, a giant batch of Muddy Buddies and a pan of fudge yesterday, with plans to make about 4 dozen more cookies tomorrow. It’s a good thing it’s the holidays so there’s plenty of people to pawn them off to...