I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

Hi. I genuinely can’t stop checking my email every other minute and checking the results forum on this site. I think it’s about time we start a thread on productive ways to respond to this stress as applicants to doctoral programs in psych. 

I’ll go first. 

I started reading “The girl with the dragon tattoo” and I made a poster that isn’t due till April. 

Same here!!! ?‍♀️ I can’t stop refreshing, even though I know there is almost no chance that I received any updates just yet ?.

I have just started reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky and I have a few studies I am trying to finish working on. I am open to any suggestions on what to binge watch next ?.

1 minute ago, petitebiscuit said:

Well this may not be as constructive but I’m my new hobby is convincing my SO we need a third dog while looking at all the rescue sites within a 60 mile radius of my house.

Wait. This is actually me. I thought I was the only one. My husband is like "Hi, we already have 2 kids and 2 dogs. I'm actually worried about your sanity". 

But there are so many dogs in need. And they're so cute. I'm looking at a 100 mile radius though. I mean... ?

2 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Wait. This is actually me. I thought I was the only one. My husband is like "Hi, we already have 2 kids and 2 dogs. I'm actually worried about your sanity". 

But there are so many dogs in need. And they're so cute. I'm looking at a 100 mile radius though. I mean... ?

Right! We have a big dog, and a tiny dog. Now we need a medium dog ?

2 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Well this may not be as constructive but I’m my new hobby is convincing my SO we need a third dog while looking at all the rescue sites within a 60 mile radius of my house.

This would be me if I wasn’t moving countries! For now I just have one rescue kitty and luckily cats are much easier to import than dogs. What type of fur babies do you have? 

B0BB887A-5DA7-4747-A37A-EBCFC5797058.jpeg

5 minutes ago, HAC said:

This would be me if I wasn’t moving countries! For now I just have one rescue kitty and luckily cats are much easier to import than dogs. What type of fur babies do you have? 

B0BB887A-5DA7-4747-A37A-EBCFC5797058.jpeg

Below I present the only children I plan on having ever:

C4810410-2852-42BE-8654-2B63F98E8171.jpeg

I don't know if this is really all that beneficial for my stress levels or not, but I am already starting preparations for next year's application cycle. I am assuming the worst, that way if the best happens it will feel 10x better! I'm also engaging in an insane amount of holiday baking this month to keep myself preoccupied. 

Loving all the cute animal pics! I have two kitties that come sit on my lap when they sense I am in freak out mode, lol 

5 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I don't know if this is really all that beneficial for my stress levels or not, but I am already starting preparations for next year's application cycle. I am assuming the worst, that way if the best happens it will feel 10x better! I'm also engaging in an insane amount of holiday baking this month to keep myself preoccupied. 

Loving all the cute animal pics! I have two kitties that come sit on my lap when they sense I am in freak out mode, lol 

Yeah that thought has crossed my mind as well and also considering applying in the country I am in now to improve my odds. Applying is such a stressful process, I thought once I had submitted it would be over but alas it has only gotten worse ?. What are you baking? I made cookies this morning but my husband hates sugar so they were more like oatmeal biscuits ??. Fur babies are the everything ?.

I've been teaching myself to carve wood and getting through all the games and books and movies I won't have time for in grad school. So far I've got hands full of little cuts and I'm finishing a book every few days and a movie every night. Working through Anno Dracula and a collection of Neil Gaiman essays right now.

I'm also planning to get a new bike and get out on the town more. Nothing worse than a night at home with nothing but my empty inbox.

I've taken up cross-stitching something personal for 8 girls that I'm hoping to have in my wedding. How do I still have time to check this website every 20 minutes? 

Also, I'm always eager to share my children as well, so here is my first born son and the heir to any fortune I may come into. IMG_8877.thumb.JPG.5519b664bbeec2a29dbf3f2faf2c3387.JPG

4 minutes ago, HAC said:

Yeah that thought has crossed my mind as well and also considering applying in the country I am in now to improve my odds. Applying is such a stressful process, I thought once I had submitted it would be over but alas it has only gotten worse ?. What are you baking? I made cookies this morning but my husband hates sugar so they were more like oatmeal biscuits ??. Fur babies are the everything ?.

Seriously, the post-submission anxiety is nutso. I've already baked 5-spice ginger cookies and gingerbread blondies. This weekend I am diving into peppermint hot chocolate cookies, linzer sandwich cookies filled with raspberry jam, and english toffee cookie bars! Luckily I have a cookie exchange to attend so they will be out of my house and I won't gain 10 pounds ?

I wish I hated sugar! I am hopelessly addicted to the stuff lol

2 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Seriously, the post-submission anxiety is nutso. I've already baked 5-spice ginger cookies and gingerbread blondies. This weekend I am diving into peppermint hot chocolate cookies, linzer sandwich cookies filled with raspberry jam, and english toffee cookie bars! Luckily I have a cookie exchange to attend so they will be out of my house and I won't gain 10 pounds ?

I need the peppermint hot cocoa recipe please! As a fellow sugar addict, I have a sincere respect for anyone who knows the struggle.

7 minutes ago, spookycat said:

I've taken up cross-stitching something personal for 8 girls that I'm hoping to have in my wedding. How do I still have time to check this website every 20 minutes? 

Also, I'm always eager to share my children as well, so here is my first born son and the heir to any fortune I may come into. IMG_8877.thumb.JPG.5519b664bbeec2a29dbf3f2faf2c3387.JPG

HE LOOKS SO DEMURE!

So I don't know how helpful this is, but I applied to Clinical Psych programs 10 (!!!) years ago, straight out of undergrad. I didn't get into my top picks, and ended up doing a year of a PsyD program, before deciding it wasn't the right fit for me for a variety of reasons. Anyway! I was really sad and discouraged after that, and ended up getting an MSW and have practiced as a social worker in an ED and also managed a program for veterans for a few years. I reapplied for Fall 2019, and although I will be so sad if I don't get in, I can honestly say that having the experience of not getting in on my first try caused me to reevaluate a lot and fine-tune my interests. So what I am saying is, it definitely STINKS and I'm not downplaying that. But also, life moves forward and sometimes new, unexpected, wonderful doors open :) I know I have had a ton of really cool opportunities that I wouldn't have had if I had gotten into a PhD program when I first applied .

So that's my super optimistic take. Also, the most helpful reminder I received from a mentor was that you don't know where your POI is in their research and what specifically they're looking for. This year they may be looking for someone with a ton of experience editing/ entering data/ recruiting/ clinical whatever and next year they may be looking for something completely different. So YOU may be the BEST applicant for clinical experience, but they want someone with a lot of data entry experience this year, so they don't pick you.. Nothing you could have done differently. Or you know, sub in whatever skills/ background you have. You just don't know. For whatever reason, that perspective has helped me a ton. 

But also. Here are my two four- legged babies ❤️ 

IMG_1206.jpg

Edited by FreudEgg

12 minutes ago, spookycat said:

He is so regal!!!

8 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Those sound delicious!!! What exactly is a cookie exchange and how does one go about getting an invite ??

26 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

So I don't know how helpful this is, but I applied to Clinical Psych programs 10 (!!!) years ago, straight out of undergrad. I didn't get into my top picks, and ended up doing a year of a PsyD program, before deciding it wasn't the right fit for me for a variety of reasons. Anyway! I was really sad and discouraged after that, and ended up getting an MSW and have practiced as a social worker in an ED and also managed a program for veterans for a few years. I reapplied for Fall 2019, and although I will be so sad if I don't get in, I can honestly say that having the experience of not getting in on my first try caused me to reevaluate a lot and fine-tune my interests. So what I am saying is, it definitely STINKS and I'm not downplaying that. But also, life moves forward and sometimes new, unexpected, wonderful doors open :) I know I have had a ton of really cool opportunities that I wouldn't have had if I had gotten into a PhD program when I first applied .

So that's my super optimistic take. Also, the most helpful reminder I received from a mentor was that you don't know where your POI is in their research and what specifically they're looking for. This year they may be looking for someone with a ton of experience editing/ entering data/ recruiting/ clinical whatever and next year they may be looking for something completely different. So YOU may be the BEST applicant for clinical experience, but they want someone with a lot of data entry experience this year, so they don't pick you.. Nothing you could have done differently. Or you know, sub in whatever skills/ background you have. You just don't know. For whatever reason, that perspective has helped me a ton. 

But also. Here are my two four- legged babies ❤️ 

IMG_1206.jpg

You definitely have a unique experience which I am sure has come through your SOP. I think taking some time off from school and coming back let’s you know what you really want to do. I think you are going about this witch the right mindset. 

Love your doggos ❤️.

OMG guys I love the kitty and dog pics. I was thinking of getting a cat next year whether or not I get accepted (knock on wood). Definitely DM me if you know of any funny/silly cat names! I was thinking Señor Chang would be a hit (for those of you who’ve watched Community). 

28 minutes ago, loffire said:

TV series or books? The books really add a different dimension to everything

I already finished the TV series but started the books after submitting apps. Done with 2 books and absolutely loved it. This waiting time is def nerve wracking but getting lost in a fantasy series really helps haha.