I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

I have 4 email accounts...FOUR...why?! I know which email I listed on my applications, but that isn't stopping me from obsessively checking all the accounts "just in case" ? at this rate I think I will qualify for a handful of new DSM diagnoses when this is all finished...

Just now, Psyhopeful said:

The annoying part for me is watching all the programs I almost applied to, but didn’t, send out interview invites, while most of my programs aren’t expected to send stuff out til January. 

Yeah every time I see a place that was on my list that I didn't apply to I think "I should have applied!". We just have to remember that we had good reasons to not apply to those places...even if it would be great to hear some results.

14 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

The annoying part for me is watching all the programs I almost applied to, but didn’t, send out interview invites, while most of my programs aren’t expected to send stuff out til January. 

Yes! This is me too. Just thinking that if I had applied to "one more" I would have gone completely broke! ?

Hi guys, I found a calendar for interview notification deadlines! It is the most reliable site I've seen thus far. Hope this helps!

https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

Stay strong, friends :) 

Edited by letsgetclinicalclinical

27 minutes ago, letsgetclinicalclinical said:

Hi guys, I found a calendar for interview notification deadlines! It is the most reliable site I've seen thus far. Hope this helps!

https://teamup.com/ks952632ef38687f3e

Stay strong, friends :) 

Please note that this is specific to Clinical Psychology PhD programs!

Does anyone else have a significant other to consider as well? I just wish I knew my options so we could make concrete plans... Doesn’t look like I’ll know anything for at least a couple weeks. So stressful.

Edited by pineapplepizza

7 minutes ago, pineapplepizza said:

Does anyone else a significant other to consider as well? I just wish I knew my options so we could make concrete plans... Doesn’t look like I’ll know anything for at least a couple weeks. So stressful.

Yes! My husband has a specific line of work to consider and needs to know his options geographically. Luckily he is much more "go with the flow" and isn't the least bit concerned with the uncertainty...opposite of me ?

@justacigarthat’s great tho that he’s more open! SO and I are both a bit neurotic and his line of work is tricky as well so the double stress isn’t helping. Can’t imagine the uncertainties getting any better with the uprooting expected for post doc and job search etc...

Good luck to us both! 

31 minutes ago, pineapplepizza said:

Does anyone else have a significant other to consider as well? I just wish I knew my options so we could make concrete plans... Doesn’t look like I’ll know anything for at least a couple weeks. So stressful.

I do as well! My situation is very unique and awesome though - we both just finished undergrad, and my SO is starting a job as a utility consultant. He will either be working from home, or flying to whatever location his company puts him on a contract with each week and will be home for weekends. So either way, we can literally move anywhere I get in. So grateful for that!

1 hour ago, rainydaychai said:

I do as well! My situation is very unique and awesome though - we both just finished undergrad, and my SO is starting a job as a utility consultant. He will either be working from home, or flying to whatever location his company puts him on a contract with each week and will be home for weekends. So either way, we can literally move anywhere I get in. So grateful for that!

I’m so jealous haha that’s great for you!!

@pineapplepizza My boyfriend mentioned not so subtly to me that he’d prefer I got admitted to a clinical psych PhD program in a city with decent roads for his car. Midway through his sentence, I stopped him and said I’d literally live in the sewer teenage mutant ninja turtles style if it meant I got accepted into a funded PhD program ?? I have no control over this process including where I end up (LA, DC, NYC sewers??)! It’s hard communicating that to SO’s! 

9 minutes ago, letsgetclinicalclinical said:

@pineapplepizza My boyfriend mentioned not so subtly to me that he’d prefer I got admitted to a clinical psych PhD program in a city with decent roads for his car. Midway through his sentence, I stopped him and said I’d literally live in the sewer teenage mutant ninja turtles style if it meant I got accepted into a funded PhD program ?? I have no control over this process including where I end up (LA, DC, NYC sewers??)! It’s hard communicating that to SO’s! 

?????

On 12/19/2018 at 9:08 PM, pineapplepizza said:

I'm in the same boat as well (seems like we have lots of good company)!  Creating the list of schools to apply to was complicated as he looked at job openings in each city over the course of 12 weeks to see how many popped up (lots = better chance of lots of opportunities available when he needed to apply, few or none = much harder to find a job there).  He also looked into what cities had big companies or government entities which required his job.  That helped us to narrow down the search significantly.  Now that I've started getting interview invites, he's reaching out to contacts in those cities to talk about prospects.  If I receive any admission offers (I don't want to jinx myself by presuming this will happen), he'll start applying for positions in those cities.  My sincere hope is he'll have at least one job offer in cities where I've been given admission offers and we can commit to both offers at the same time, but I recognize the possibility of that is pretty slim, so we'll have to figure it out at the time.  But he's on board to go wherever necessary for me to get my PhD.  I chose this path and this career for us because it aligns well with our priorities to help us live our best lives together.  So even if the location isn't ideal for him, it's only for a few years and it still moves us closer to our shared goals.

Ugh. Been waiting all day to see if I might get a last day before the holiday invitation and then I get an email notification! From one of my schools responding to my response to their request for an additional transcript. ?

On 12/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, petitebiscuit said:

Here’s a fun question: what is the craziest/funniest thing you’ve done in your post-submission frenzy?

Email half of my schools to ask about my application status even though I knew they'd only send me a generic answer

13 minutes ago, letsgetclinicalclinical said:

Does anyone want to share any self-care practices/apps/etc. that have helped you during this post-application season?

Don't check GradCafe so often. Which I am not following at all. I come on here over 3 times a day to panic. I am having a terrible time

52 minutes ago, letsgetclinicalclinical said:

Does anyone want to share any self-care practices/apps/etc. that have helped you during this post-application season?

Cleaning! Cleaning out and reorganizing absolutely everything (closet, drawers, shelves, etc.) It keeps me busy and helps me concentrate on something other than applications. 

2 hours ago, letsgetclinicalclinical said:

Dance! And now hand washing my dance leotards, although it's debatable whether that's making me feel BETTER. 

@ResilientDreams I love to dance, but have been having trouble finding affordable dance classes in my area. I am going to look into that this weekend and see if I can also start making side money tutoring. I hate sitting idly as it makes me more anxious and gives me more time to check an empty inbox.