2019 Acceptances

14 minutes ago, Rootbound said:

Congrats to a member of the UVA mystery gang!

ahh, yay, thank you and big congrats to you too!

edit: omg @Rootbound I just clicked through to your profile and saw that your interests include early modern women writers?? that makes two of us and I am DELIGHTED!

Edited by amphilanthus

1 hour ago, amphilanthus said:

ahh, yay, thank you and big congrats to you too!

edit: omg @Rootbound I just clicked through to your profile and saw that your interests include early modern women writers?? that makes two of us and I am DELIGHTED!

Right on!!! That’s so exciting. I’m really happy about Rutgers because they have such a great track record for work on women writers. Any authors you’re particularly excited to work on?

Edited by Rootbound

7 minutes ago, Rootbound said:

Right on!!! That’s so exciting. I’m really happy about Rutgers because they have such a great track record for work on women writers. Any authors you’re particularly excited to work on?

wrote my undergrad thesis on mary sidney and i remain eternally, deeply, madly in love with her. also a particularly big fan of wroth and cary. what about you? definitely excited about rutgers for the same reason, and I kinda love that they wanted two folks interested in early modern women! 

1 hour ago, amphilanthus said:

wrote my undergrad thesis on mary sidney and i remain eternally, deeply, madly in love with her. also a particularly big fan of wroth and cary. what about you? definitely excited about rutgers for the same reason, and I kinda love that they wanted two folks interested in early modern women! 

Very cool! Mary Sidney is the best. I had similar experience with Margaret Cavendish—wrote a thesis (in part) on her work, and fell head over heels. I’m now the proud owner of a Cavendish t-shirt. Lanyer is also someone I would be so stoked to read in a graduate setting. I know, go rutgers!! Early modern women writers represent!

Edited by Rootbound

5 minutes ago, 012345 said:

Hey all- Congrats on all the acceptances :) I just got waitlisted at UPenn (my first choice /dream program) and was wondering if any of you admits might be turning down your offers? Trying to gauge possiblities. Also understand if it’s too soon to tell. Sending luck & well wishes to all waiting —

Definitely too soon to tell, in my opinion! Visitation is later in march, however, and I suspect there will be some waitlist movement around then. (From what I gather regarding past Penn waitlists, though, movement depends on specialization, i.e. if an admitted c.18 student rejects their offer, the DGS will fill their spot with a c.18 student from the waitlist.) Sorry to not be of more help!

8 hours ago, 012345 said:

Thanks for responding @thismortalcoil! My fingers are v crossed for swift movement (& I do feminist /queer /psychoanalytic theory just in case there are other critical theory folks looking at this!)

I'll send you a PM after visitation week to let you know the generic make up of the potential cohort. Maybe that'll give you a better sense of the potential for movement? 

Congrats to all admits...looking at a shutout round (yayyyy....). Trying to figure out what went wrong/what I can do differently next year,  and figuring out if it's a cohort thing or something else. Does anyone do 20th century Irish literature? 

5 hours ago, grandr said:

Congrats to all admits...looking at a shutout round (yayyyy....). Trying to figure out what went wrong/what I can do differently next year,  and figuring out if it's a cohort thing or something else. Does anyone do 20th century Irish literature? 

My main interest is 20th century Irish Literature! If you want to discuss anything feel free to pm me :) 

Hate to post twice in a row, but I just received a warm and encouraging phone call from my POI at Fordham informing me that I've accepted by the department.  Of course, nothing is official until the graduate school documents come through, but I'm thrilled.  Two acceptances, one visit/interview, and two (official) rejections for me so far. 

It really is a nice touch that some schools still call to deliver this news.  My POI delivered the news with such grace, and it really is a great feeling to hear someone of such status pay even the smallest compliment about your work.  I'll still add that there is nothing quite like that feeling of calming down after the entire stress volume of application season passes through every blood vessel in your body.