2019 Acceptances

18 minutes ago, sad_diamond said:

Just got accepted at Penn! Got a call from the DGS, and he said he has more phone calls to make, so there's still hope!

First of all, congratulations!!!! Second of all, you are THE BEST for getting that tidbit out of him. I'm crossing my fingers and toes! Congrats again :) 

2 hours ago, sad_diamond said:

Just got accepted at Penn! Got a call from the DGS, and he said he has more phone calls to make, so there's still hope!

CONGRATS! I guess today really is the final reckoning for the rest of us. 

39 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

Thank you! I started to suspect I was accepted when, out of the blue two nights ago, I started receiving emails from a UPenn listserv... 

They're really excited to have you! And thanks for the info--I can chalk this one up as an implied rejection then. 

23 minutes ago, sugilite said:

They're really excited to have you! And thanks for the info--I can chalk this one up as an implied rejection then. 

No! Don't say that! The DGS told me that they extended offers to 14 students out of 500 applicants, which means phone calls will take some time. Fingers crossed for you! 

48 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

No! Don't say that! The DGS told me that they extended offers to 14 students out of 500 applicants, which means phone calls will take some time. Fingers crossed for you! 

You are too kind--so sorry, did not mean to turn this into a pity party when we are supposed to be celebrating acceptances!! Sending lots of good vibes your way, and congrats again! 

If I hear back from them now, it will just be a pleasant surprise! 

1 minute ago, sugilite said:

You are too kind--so sorry, did not mean to turn this into a pity party when we are supposed to be celebrating acceptances!! Sending lots of good vibes your way, and congrats again! 

If I hear back from them now, it will just be a pleasant surprise! 

Omg no, do not apologize at all! I'm rooting for you. Fingers crossed some more good news comes your way!

4 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

I'm a 20th century Americanist. I work at the intersection of post-war poetry, book history, and science and technology studies.

Your interests are so close to mine that I'd be very surprised if they admitted us both. *tip of the cap while ugly crying* 

6 hours ago, sad_diamond said:

When do you think we should call it? Did he say anything to suggest that they're calling today only/tomorrow as well?

4 minutes ago, thismortalcoil said:

He didn't say anything about the timeline, I'm sorry! But I wouldn't call it an implied rejection until at least, like, Monday. Phone calls take a long time?

Thank you! Congratulations again!

20 minutes ago, Englishandteamakesahappyme said:

@Englishtea1 That’s great news. Congratulations! What was the event like?

I’m still waiting to hear from them, but I don’t have too much hope because I wasn’t invited to the pre-admission event or contacted for an interview. 

I heard that they’ll be updating the portals very soon. My acceptance came via the portal and then I received an email from a faculty member. Also, the event was awesome. Had one-on-ones with faculty and met many grad students. My experience def. didn't come across as an interview. With the faculty I met, it was more of an opportunity for me to ask them questions about the program.

Edited by Englishtea1