Acceptances

The_Last_Thylacine

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I was on the GSU page looking at their placement, and under the 2019 tab, third from the top, it says someone got into "Duke and Connecticut." Has Uconn started releasing acceptances, then? Any other confirmation on this? Here's the link: https://philosophy.gsu.edu/graduate/placement-record/ 

I got an automated email from Colorado on March 6th to check my status. When I did, I was greeted by confetti falling down the screen over a letter telling me I'd been accepted. However, I've gotten nothing else (as in, no emails from Forbes, nor anything about a prospectives visit or anything like that). Has anyone else gotten the same? Or, maybe more importantly, has anyone else gotten more from them?

On 3/11/2019 at 3:20 AM, leveller said:

I got an automated email from Colorado on March 6th to check my status. When I did, I was greeted by confetti falling down the screen over a letter telling me I'd been accepted. However, I've gotten nothing else (as in, no emails from Forbes, nor anything about a prospectives visit or anything like that). Has anyone else gotten the same? Or, maybe more importantly, has anyone else gotten more from them?

Have you had any follow up since? I solicited on Monday and haven't heard back.

5 hours ago, sardonic17 said:

Have you had any follow up since? I solicited on Monday and haven't heard back.

I did follow up, actually -- should've mentioned that here. Forbes said the automatic email was indeed correct. He also said there wouldn't be an official prospectives visit, but that I was welcome to visit if I wanted to. He seems... much less on top of things than Pasnau was when I got waitlisted there a couple years ap.

Can anyone speak to how to interpret having not heard back yet?  Are schools more likely to be taking their sweet time with acceptances or putting off sending out rejection emails?

I was told I would be an excellent candidate for NYU MA in Bioethics (in my NYU rejection email) and they offered that I could apply for free, I've heard in the past that the NYU MA program doesn't receive much time or resources from the department.  Is it still worthwhile to consider applying?

Edited by WillisBell

3 hours ago, WillisBell said:

I was told I would be an excellent candidate for NYU MA in Bioethics (in my NYU rejection email) and they offered that I could apply for free, I've heard in the past that the NYU MA program doesn't receive much time or resources from the department.  Is it still worthwhile to consider applying?

Unfortunately, no, it isn't. It's a "cash cow" program meant only to generate money for the university and to keep enrollments up. If you want to get an MA in philosophy, apply to legitimate, funded terminal MA programs.

17 hours ago, WillisBell said:

Unfortunately, I think everyone recieves that "offer."  Honestly, that they'd so brashly solicit a program that probably isn't in the best interest of most students makes me question NYU's priorities.  But, since I got the same email, I might be biased ?