Acceptances

The_Last_Thylacine

2 minutes ago, redsubywa said:

Congrats! How did you hear?

Also, can anyone claim the Fordham acceptance?

Via email! I'm excited!

10 hours ago, VentralStream said:

So I emailed ND this morning to find out if I was still being considered for admission and I am having difficulty interpreting his reply. Here was professor Franks' response:

"Yes, we just sent out our first few admissions offers last night. (The first round of rejections were last week.)

I will create an initial wait-list after the initial admissions are finalized. Depending on how many people reject our offer right away (which varies wildly year to year) you might yet get an initial admissions offer in time to visit during the recruitment week. Otherwise, I would expect you to be on the wait-list, which will be announced probably Monday or Tuesday"

I don't know if I am being blinded by my optimism that I am unable to read plain English, but it sounds like I am either going to get accepted or wait listed; but then, in what sense was there only a 'first round of rejections'; that is, there must be at least a second round, no? 

It sounds like you’re going to get offer or waitlisted. Unless, the people they made the initial offers to all accept or enough that they don’t need a waitlist. But, it sounds like they usually get plenty of rejections. 

Um anybody know why would UVA started with just waitlist results? Rejections or acceptances seem like more natural starting points, especially if decisions are still being made. You can't be settled on the waitlist unless you've made all your decisions, and if you've made all your decisions, why keep us hanging?

5 hours ago, DoodleBob said:

In Boston University limbo, does anyone know if they are still sending out waitlists/acceptances? Or are they staggering rejections because they might as well draw out the best part of their job? 

I think they’re done with acceptance. 

17 hours ago, kakaz said:

Accepted into McGill University!!!

Congrats! Was this a fellowship offer or a regular acceptance? Did they happen to indicate whether they were done sending out offers?

4 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

Congrats! Was this a fellowship offer or a regular acceptance? Did they happen to indicate whether they were done sending out offers?

It is a full fellowship offer-funding package, and I am not certain that they admit people without at least some funding. I am not sure whether or not they are done, I assume so though because they had their admissions meeting. If all results aren't out, I would say to expect results soon.

1 hour ago, Dysexlia said:

McGill usually can afford to make only one international offer because non-Canadians are more expensive for the department. I don't know if @kakaz is Canadian or not, but if not, that's likely to be the only non-Canadian offer they make. McGill is just a very long shot for non-Canadians, unfortunately.

44 minutes ago, DoodleBob said:

Ah birdfeathers. Was looking forward to getting a Boston terrier in Boston. 

:( sorry! I just say that because someone on here said that their waitlist email said that BU only made 6 offers this year. 

51 minutes ago, hector549 said:

McGill usually can afford to make only one international offer because non-Canadians are more expensive for the department. I don't know if @kakaz is Canadian or not, but if not, that's likely to be the only non-Canadian offer they make. McGill is just a very long shot for non-Canadians, unfortunately.

Ah, good to know! Thanks!

12 hours ago, ddc22 said:

Um anybody know why would UVA started with just waitlist results? Rejections or acceptances seem like more natural starting points, especially if decisions are still being made. You can't be settled on the waitlist unless you've made all your decisions, and if you've made all your decisions, why keep us hanging?

There have been a few explicit UVA acceptances claimed over on FB, so it doesn't look like they only have the WL out.