Waitlists

The_Last_Thylacine

Waitlisted at UVA. Seems like it must be a pretty long waitlist? At least ten, maybe twelve of us? Nevertheless, my Starbucks offer still stands. 

23 minutes ago, Eheydon said:

Waitlisted at UVA. Seems like it must be a pretty long waitlist? At least ten, maybe twelve of us? Nevertheless, my Starbucks offer still stands. 

Seems to be the second wave of waitlist notifications. I got one in early March that said I was near the top and had a good chance of getting in, and then I also got an email yesterday to check the portal, so I guess they did a bunch of portal updates recently? If you're curious what your chances are, I'd contact them, since I'm relatively certain that there have been two waves of waitlists for UVA but uncertain if that means that the second wave has a lesser chance of getting in.

1 hour ago, Nothingtown said:

Seems to be the second wave of waitlist notifications. I got one in early March that said I was near the top and had a good chance of getting in, and then I also got an email yesterday to check the portal, so I guess they did a bunch of portal updates recently? If you're curious what your chances are, I'd contact them, since I'm relatively certain that there have been two waves of waitlists for UVA but uncertain if that means that the second wave has a lesser chance of getting in.

I saw the same thing, and I am wondering if perhaps many of the initially accepted turned down the offer (prompting an extension of the waitlist)?

edit: typing in class

Edited by Eheydon

1 hour ago, Nothingtown said:

I likewise got an email in early March saying I was 'extremely' likely to receive an offer. I was likewise invited to visit for the preview with a subsidy. However, I have not received any email about the portal, nor is there any update on the portal. FYI I am likely to decline this offer. 

Just now, VentralStream said:

I likewise got an email in early March saying I was 'extremely' likely to receive an offer. I was likewise invited to visit for the preview with a subsidy. However, I have not received any email about the portal, nor is there any update on the portal. FYI I am likely to decline this offer. 

Interesting! I had to inquire about the visit, but am also told my chance is "extremely likely." Currently looking at airfare and such, as I truly do care about getting into this program. Thanks for the information!

Waitlisted at FSU a couple of days ago. Been a really waitlist-y application season for me. Applied to 15; waitlisted at 5, accepted at 2, rejected at 7, 1 still pending. For one of those acceptances, I'm waitlisted for funding; so I count that, essentially, as 6 waitlists and 1 acceptance.

Anyone got any theories concerning what about an applicant's dossier might make him or her attractive enough for lots of waitlists but not enough for acceptances?

Edited by Agent_Causation

Hi everyone!

I applied to one program, Marymount University Forensic & Legal Psychology Program (M.A.)! I was told on February 25th that I got waitlisted! I emailed the school for more information on my status right after receiving the news and they told me there are about 40-50 people on the waitlist and that I am in the top third! (Side note: they said they get around 200 applicants every year and accept around 90 people). The program had a deadline for a deposit (to save your spot) for accepted students on March 15th. I was really hoping to hear something around those days, hoping that enough people didn't pay for their spot in order for them to offer me admission. I attended their open house and their program specific welcome event (waitlisted students were invited too). What should I do next? Should I wait until after April 15th to email them to see if my rank has changed at all, in hopes that someone who paid for their spot got accepted somewhere else and decided to decline the program? 

So anxious!! 

1 hour ago, Agent_Causation said:

Waitlisted at FSU a couple of days ago. Been a really waitlist-y application season for me. Applied to 15; waitlisted at 5, accepted at 2, rejected at 7, 1 still pending. For one of those acceptances, I'm waitlisted for funding; so I count that, essentially, as 6 waitlists and 1 acceptance.

Anyone got any theories concerning what about an applicant's dossier might make him or her attractive enough for lots of waitlists but not enough for acceptances?

It can be combination of multiple things for different programs. What schools did you apply too?

39 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

It can be combination of multiple things for different programs. What schools did you apply too?

Rejected: Notre Dame, Indiana Bloomington, Fordham, Baylor, Saint Louis University, NC Chapel Hill, Arizona

Waitlisted(In estimated order of likelihood to be accepted based on vibe from DGS): Oklahoma, UT Knoxville, FSU, Rochester, UVA

Accepted: Arkansas,  Buffalo (Waitlisted for funding)

Pending: Boulder (Presumed rejection)

Hmm interesting, what's your AOI? But, obviously OU (Oklahoma University) and UVA are not at the same level but you were waitlisted at both. But UVA apprently has a giant waitlist this year or maybe every year, idk. I'm willing to bet you have a decent chance at OU. is it for an MA or PhD?

7 minutes ago, Agent_Causation said:

Rejected: Notre Dame, Indiana Bloomington, Fordham, Baylor, Saint Louis University, NC Chapel Hill, Arizona

Waitlisted(In estimated order of likelihood to be accepted based on vibe from DGS): Oklahoma, UT Knoxville, FSU, Rochester, UVA

Accepted: Arkansas,  Buffalo (Waitlisted for funding)

Pending: Boulder (Presumed rejection)

50 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Hmm interesting, what's your AOI? But, obviously OU (Oklahoma University) and UVA are not at the same level but you were waitlisted at both. But UVA apprently has a giant waitlist this year or maybe every year, idk. I'm willing to bet you have a decent chance at OU. is it for an MA or PhD?

All are for PhD. Already got the master's

To the other Loyola waitlister looking for info if you find this, I got an email saying that offerS (so multiple) were still out so waitlist is still open. There are only 3 spots from what I have heard so either 2/3 or all 3 spots have not been filled yet. I am the one with the Social/Political, Fem Phil AOI. What is yours?

On 4/4/2019 at 3:50 PM, carolinaji said:

Hi everyone!

I applied to one program, Marymount University Forensic & Legal Psychology Program (M.A.)! I was told on February 25th that I got waitlisted! I emailed the school for more information on my status right after receiving the news and they told me there are about 40-50 people on the waitlist and that I am in the top third! (Side note: they said they get around 200 applicants every year and accept around 90 people). The program had a deadline for a deposit (to save your spot) for accepted students on March 15th. I was really hoping to hear something around those days, hoping that enough people didn't pay for their spot in order for them to offer me admission. I attended their open house and their program specific welcome event (waitlisted students were invited too). What should I do next? Should I wait until after April 15th to email them to see if my rank has changed at all, in hopes that someone who paid for their spot got accepted somewhere else and decided to decline the program? 

So anxious!! 

Hey @carolinaji, as fascinating as forensic and legal psychology sounds, I think you are in the wrong forum...

Also, a 90-person cohort? That sounds insane!

Just now, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

Hey @carolinaji, as fascinating as forensic and legal psychology sounds, I think you are in the wrong forum...

Also, a 90-person cohort? That sounds insane!

Hi @Rose-Colored Beetle, oh wait how come? it's a master's program! I know a lot of people here are applying for their doctorate's but was just wondering if anyone had any information that could help! :)

Just now, carolinaji said:

Hi @Rose-Colored Beetle, oh wait how come? it's a master's program! I know a lot of people here are applying for their doctorate's but was just wondering if anyone had any information that could help! :)

I just mean that this is the philosophy page! I'm sure that our programs have some similarities, but you might have better luck in the psychology forum. The menu of GradCafe disciplines can be found here. :)