Waitlists

The_Last_Thylacine

31 minutes ago, VentralStream said:

just wait listed at Notre Dame. Was that email also sent to those who were previously accepted? I ask, because the last third paragraph seems to be addressed to those already accepted. Can those that have already been accepted confirm please.

I am asking because the email list is already quite long (21 people), such that if that list already includes those that have been accepted, then it's more reasonable. 

21 people? Wow. I hope that includes people accepted.. otherwise.. they seem to be expecting decent rejections from their initial people.

I was waitlisted at UBC three weeks ago. Today I know that the length of the waitlist is 13. UBC only admits 5-6 people each year since the program has about 30 people in total.

So, just curious: why the waitlist is so long? I feel like the chance of being accepted off the waitlist is minimal. What do you think about it?

6 hours ago, VentralStream said:

just wait listed at Notre Dame. Was that email also sent to those who were previously accepted? I ask, because the last third paragraph seems to be addressed to those already accepted. Can those that have already been accepted confirm please.

I am asking because the email list is already quite long (21 people), such that if that list already includes those that have been accepted, then it's more reasonable. 

I was also waitlisted at Notre Dame, and I want to hope that the waitlist is not made up of 21 people, since ND is my first choice! I'm glad I'm not the only one who drew that conclusion!

7 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

I was also waitlisted at Notre Dame, and I want to hope that the waitlist is not made up of 21 people, since ND is my first choice! I'm glad I'm not the only one who drew that conclusion!

I was waitlisted there too, but I declined my place on the waitlist because I already got into my first choice. Good luck with Notre Dame! :)

Just now, ComradeAbeille said:

I was waitlisted there too, but I declined my place on the waitlist because I already got into my first choice. Good luck with Notre Dame! :)

Congratulations on being accepted to your top choice, and thanks for quickly removing yourself from the waitlist! You're one of my many heroes right now! :)

20 minutes ago, ComradeAbeille said:

You got accepted to 10 places? Wow. That's pretty amazing. What was your top choice?

Waitlisted at NYU.  Email says "I will let you know as soon as I can if I have any indication of how likely it is that we will be able to offer you a place.  It is only fair to admit that the chances are not very high, but in recent years we have several times been able to take a student off the waitlist."

I was not at all expecting this and it seems extravagant to hope to get off the waitlist. Nevertheless, if anyone gets a wild hair and decides to decline, you have a chance to make me very happy. I will understand if this does not affect your decision greatly.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

A friend of mine (not on TGC) reports 0 acceptances and 7 waitlists at PGR top-50 schools, including Michigan.

I'm in an extremely similar situation.

If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me, if you know, what % of people get off of a PGR top-10 waitlist? 

3 minutes ago, TCH867 said:

I'm in an extremely similar situation.

If you don't mind me asking, could you please tell me, if you know, what % of people get off of a PGR top-10 waitlist? 

I don't have a percentage, but given that schools want to admit a balance of people, I wouldn't be surprised if you're behind many of the same people in your own AOI at many of the schools. I asked my friend, and he said more or less that if you're WL'd at the top school in your AOI (or even the top 1-3), your odds aren't good, but it would make sense that if you're also WL'd at a couple top ones that aren't #1-3 in your AOI, then the people you're behind there will decline and accept spots in #1-3. It also will depend on how broad your AOI is (i.e., if it's broader, this effect might be less extreme).

In any case, good luck! What's your AOI?

18 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

I don't have a percentage, but given that schools want to admit a balance of people, I wouldn't be surprised if you're behind many of the same people in your own AOI at many of the schools. I asked my friend, and he said more or less that if you're WL'd at the top school in your AOI (or even the top 1-3), your odds aren't good, but it would make sense that if you're also WL'd at a couple top ones that aren't #1-3 in your AOI, then the people you're behind there will decline and accept spots in #1-3. It also will depend on how broad your AOI is (i.e., if it's broader, this effect might be less extreme).

In any case, good luck! What's your AOI?

Thank you so much!  I sent a PM!

Wait listed at UVA. This is by far my top choice currently. So, if you're accepted or waitlisted at UVA but plan on going somewhere else please turn down the offers. :)

I did email them and Walter Ott responded. The email did say that he thinks an offer is unlikely but still.. haha it could happen?

Btw who thinks that GRE scores can play a decent role in a applicant getting an offer vs. wait listed?