Waitlists

The_Last_Thylacine

50 minutes ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Wait listed at UVA. This is by far my top choice currently. So, if you're accepted or waitlisted at UVA but plan on going somewhere else please turn down the offers. :)

I did email them and Walter Ott responded. The email did say that he thinks an offer is unlikely but still.. haha it could happen?

Btw who thinks that GRE scores can play a decent role in a applicant getting an offer vs. wait listed?

if your GREs are good enough to get you waitlisted then you've already probably passed the mystical threshold of 'good enough' - I'll be turning down my UVA waitlist btw

3 hours ago, Prose said:

if your GREs are good enough to get you waitlisted then you've already probably passed the mystical threshold of 'good enough' - I'll be turning down my UVA waitlist btw

Oh awesome! Thank you! 

12 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Now officially WLd at Fordham

Great! They look like a great program, for their low PGR rating.

Do you have a preference for Purdue vs Fordham, in case both make offers? (I have a high view of Purdue, and my friend is at Fordham and he is glad to be there)

Edited by Duns Eith

2 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Our former chair at Fordham had a strong aversion to the PGR, and (at least according to my memory of a conversation I had with one faculty member) we have in the past, for that reason, not consented to be ranked. Caveat, I haven't run this down to apodictic certainty. One treads lightly in such things...

7 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Do you have a preference for Purdue vs Fordham, in case both make offers? (I have a high view of Purdue, and my friend is at Fordham and he is glad to be there)

Would love to be forced into the decision and I think I would be very happy at either. Fordham's job placement is good, New York is a plus for me, and @Rose-Colored Beetle @soproperlybasic have spoken glowingly so its reassuring to know that current students are happy there. The only big reason I'd still say Purdue edges out is that I want to study Deleuze and the DGS, Dan Smith, is one of the best Deleuze academics in the English speaking world. I'm traveling east from California next month, so I'm going to try to visit both. 

This is a bit late, but I solicited DGS at Michigan State Feb. 26th to find out that I was on a wait list, though not likely to be offered a spot given my place on it. In any case, it looks like a waiting list has been created there, even if it hasn't been announced.

Found at yesterday that I am waitlisted at the University of Kansas. I was also waitlisted at Texas A&M in January and haven't heard from them since.

Disappointed and honestly very surprised that I wasn't accepted to anything, considering my recommendations and GRE score, and my writing sample which I thought was good enough to get in somewhere. But I immediately contacted KU after they emailed me, and it sounds like I have a fair chance of getting an acceptance from them. I also contacted the professor there I would likely end up working with, so hopefully I'll have better news soon.

23 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Would love to be forced into the decision and I think I would be very happy at either. Fordham's job placement is good, New York is a plus for me, and @Rose-Colored Beetle @soproperlybasic have spoken glowingly so its reassuring to know that current students are happy there. The only big reason I'd still say Purdue edges out is that I want to study Deleuze and the DGS, Dan Smith, is one of the best Deleuze academics in the English speaking world. I'm traveling east from California next month, so I'm going to try to visit both. 

Dude, your GRE scores and everything looks fantastic. How in the hell did you not get into any of the other schools?!

2 hours ago, freudianspongebob said:

Found at yesterday that I am waitlisted at the University of Kansas. I was also waitlisted at Texas A&M in January and haven't heard from them since.

Disappointed and honestly very surprised that I wasn't accepted to anything, considering my recommendations and GRE score, and my writing sample which I thought was good enough to get in somewhere. But I immediately contacted KU after they emailed me, and it sounds like I have a fair chance of getting an acceptance from them. I also contacted the professor there I would likely end up working with, so hopefully I'll have better news soon.

Do you know your spot on the list at KU? I’ve heard through previous prof that they do usually end up going down the list. 

16 minutes ago, Anti-Climacus said:

Dude, your GRE scores and everything looks fantastic. How in the hell did you not get into any of the other schools?!

Lol would love to know myself but committees are just a black box. Don't want to drag the thread off topic, but the short version is that this process is not law school admissions where your numbers decide your fate. Gotta weigh that up against factors like my LoRs which I'm fairly certain were weak given I've been out of school for the better part of a decade, writing sample, etc. I ruminated on this over at the "Dear 2020.." thread.

Just withdrew from Berkeley's waitlist. It's an amazing program, but I felt like I had to just weigh all the considerations I could and make a decision rather than dragging things out any further. Hope it helps someone.

Edit: Sorry, I realized this is in the wrong thread!

Edited by mithrandir8

39 minutes ago, mithrandir8 said:

Just withdrew from Berkeley's waitlist. It's an amazing program, but I felt like I had to just weigh all the considerations I could and make a decision rather than dragging things out any further. Hope it helps someone.

Where do you decide to go? 

2 hours ago, freudianspongebob said:

That's what they told me, too, and that's why I'm optimistic. I'm 4 on the list, though I don't know how many people are on the list.

I’m sure there are a decent number of people. 4 is pretty high and I’m sure you’ll get a spot. What’s your AOI? 

• 2 weeks later...