Fall 2019 Psychology Doctoral ACCEPTANCES!!

dancedementia

24 minutes ago, 1996kayden said:

School: University of Virginia

Concentration: Developmental Psychology

Type: Ph.D.

Date of acceptance: 2/5/2019

Notified by: Interviewed 1/28, POI emailed today saying he wanted to recommend me to acceptance to department and school but that nothing was official until I heard from the grad school in a few days. Got an auto email to check my application status a few hours later and saw the official acceptance letter and stipend (20k/year + 4k/summer)

Congrats on your acceptance!! Reading through your post made me curious. Has anyone else who has received acceptances received info about stipends?  I guess I’d like to see what the “norm” would be across multiple programs. 

5 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! Reading through your post made me curious. Has anyone else who has received acceptances received info about stipends?  I guess I’d like to see what the “norm” would be across multiple programs. 

I have not yet. I received an official letter today, after being extended an informal offer over the phone 1 week ago, but they said information about scholarships and assistantships would be sent later. I'm assuming it's because this program (clinical psych PhD) has specific scholarships and awards that they need to figure out who to give to after official offers have been given. 

5 hours ago, ilobebrains said:

I have not yet. I received an official letter today, after being extended an informal offer over the phone 1 week ago, but they said information about scholarships and assistantships would be sent later. I'm assuming it's because this program (clinical psych PhD) has specific scholarships and awards that they need to figure out who to give to after official offers have been given. 

That makes sense. I guess it could also do with the specific funding sources from each POI. Thanks for your input! 

16 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

(I'm in Canada) but generally speaking, no. It's too early to hear about awards/scholarships. For example, for one school I was accepted in December. I won't be notified about awards/scholarships until mid-to-late Feb :) 

27 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

(I'm in Canada) but generally speaking, no. It's too early to hear about awards/scholarships. For example, for one school I was accepted in December. I won't be notified about awards/scholarships until mid-to-late Feb :) 

Gotcha! This makes sense too. The waiting continues and intensifies!

Waiting to hear for interviews... waiting to hear back about acceptance... waiting to hear about funding... then can finally breathe a sigh of relief that you can make it to grad school! Let's not talk about all the waiting and pushing once you're actually in. We're a bunch of masochists!

School: Southern Methodist University 

Concentration: Clinical

Type: PhD

Date of acceptance: 2/5/19

Notified by: Phone call from POI

Edited by Fi19

PSA: As acceptances start to roll in, this is just a friendly reminder to everyone from someone with lots of contract experience, NEVER ACCEPT A POSITION UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR FUNDING PACKAGE IN WRITING (unless, of course, you are not expecting funding). Even if it is your top choice and you've been dying to go for the last 20 years... I cannot stress enough; get that s**t in writing. :) 

1 hour ago, humanisticPOV said:

PSA: As acceptances start to roll in, this is just a friendly reminder to everyone from someone with lots of contract experience, NEVER ACCEPT A POSITION UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR FUNDING PACKAGE IN WRITING (unless, of course, you are not expecting funding). Even if it is your top choice and you've been dying to go for the last 20 years... I cannot stress enough; get that s**t in writing. :) 

What is your opinion on schools that don't necessarily guarantee funding but state that every student thus far has been funded every year? 

57 minutes ago, Keyz said:

What is your opinion on schools that don't necessarily guarantee funding but state that every student thus far has been funded every year? 

What did the grad students say about this? This would’ve been a good question to gather diff perspectives on from interviews. I interviewed at one particular program who said this, but all grad students corroborated that it was true and they have all been fully funded to date without any issues (across cohorts!).

26 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

What did the grad students say about this? This would’ve been a good question to gather diff perspectives on from interviews. I interviewed at one particular program who said this, but all grad students corroborated that it was true and they have all been fully funded to date without any issues (across cohorts!).

So my PI that I RA for is basically the head professor of our psych department and told me to ask both the faculty and grad students. So obviously the faculty stated what I said in the first post. The grad students corroborated that they hadn't had any issues whatsoever with funding but you have to actively seek it out and it's very competitive. The only thing is that it's hard because even though that's the case now, you never know what it will be like in the future since you will be actively working within the program for multiple years to come and you never know when funding will suddenly disappear. So it's nice when you actually have a guarantee of funding rather than a nonchalant "well so far we've been fine" if that makes sense lol.

Edited by Keyz

On 2/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, ASDadvocate said:

I was accepted by email on 1/11 and received my official funding offer through the application portal about two weeks later

41 minutes ago, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

I was accepted by email on 1/11 and received my official funding offer through the application portal about two weeks later

That was a quick turn around! So it definitely varies from program to program. 

On 2/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, ASDadvocate said:

My stipend info (1 offered me a fellowship, 1 the PI is funding me) came as part of the official letter.

12 hours ago, Keyz said:

So my PI that I RA for is basically the head professor of our psych department and told me to ask both the faculty and grad students. So obviously the faculty stated what I said in the first post. The grad students corroborated that they hadn't had any issues whatsoever with funding but you have to actively seek it out and it's very competitive. The only thing is that it's hard because even though that's the case now, you never know what it will be like in the future since you will be actively working within the program for multiple years to come and you never know when funding will suddenly disappear. So it's nice when you actually have a guarantee of funding rather than a nonchalant "well so far we've been fine" if that makes sense lol.

Eh... If it was my only offer, I'd still go for it. If there are other programs with guaranteed funding through writing, then I may pick them instead. You have to list your pros/cons for each school and make the best decision for you.

School: UC Berkeley

Concentration: School Psychology

Date of acceptance: Feb 4

Notified by: Auto email that a decision had been made & to check the application website

My 1st acceptance & it’s one of my top choices too! ??

School: University of Michigan

Concentration: Media Psychology 

Date of acceptance: 2/8/19

Notified by: email from the Graduate Progam Coordinator including a formal letter from the Associate Chair of Graduate Studies informing me of my admission and that I have 5 years full funding including a Rackham Merit Fellowship!

This was my top choice school and I can’t believe I got in and got a fellowship!

Good news: I got accepted to the PsyD program at UIndy! ? I was so comfortable there and the program aligns perfectly with my future goals, so I'm 99.9% sure that's where I'm headed this fall.

Bad news: My final interview is scheduled for this weekend with another program. On one hand, I don't want to appear unprofessional, canceling my interview just a few short days prior. On the other hand, I don't want to spend their time and spend money on travel when I know I will be accepting another offer. I'm unsure how to notify their staff that I no longer plan on attending their interview weekend.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Also, congrats to anyone else who was accepted!! ?

On 1/16/2019 at 9:20 PM, ItPhBeLikeThatSometimes said:

School: Vanderbilt (Peabody)

Concentration:  Developmental

Date of acceptance: 1/11

Notified by: text from POI!!

Anotha one!!

School: Florida State

Concentration: Developmental

Type: PhD

Date: 2/11

Notified by: email from PI