How many schools did you apply to in the 2019 cycle?

How many schools did you apply to this cycle?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. How many schools did you apply to in the 2019 cycle?

• 6-9
    • 10-15
    • 16+

I applied to 6! I was going to only do 5, but then I panicked and added a sixth last minute. ? In hindsight I'm kind of wishing I only applied to 3 or 4 of the ones I did, but oh well.

Edited by LaceySpeechie

23... I was a student worried about my low GPA. Note to anybody else worried about low GPA's, do not apply to this many schools. I know about how stressful this process is, but if you need suggestions of schools who look at the applicant as a whole PM me...

I applied to 9. I haven’t heard from any yet so I’m wondering if I should have applied to more. lol. Would love to know the story of the person who only applied to one school who answered poll. :)

I wanted to apply to 5 or 6 out of worry and self-doubt - but I decided to save my money, trust my apps, and pray hard instead. I narrowed down to 4 schools, any of whom I'd absolutely love to attend no matter which I end up at. I chose the right kinds of schools for my stats and experiences and it ended up working out perfectly.

3 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

I applied to 9. I haven’t heard from any yet so I’m wondering if I should have applied to more. lol. Would love to know the story of the person who only applied to one school who answered poll. :)

For me there was only one school I even considered going to due to financial and personal reasons. I felt that focusing on one application really allowed me to be the best candidate possible for that program. And I was accepted!

2 hours ago, SpeechNOLA said:

For me there was only one school I even considered going to due to financial and personal reasons. I felt that focusing on one application really allowed me to be the best candidate possible for that program. And I was accepted!

Congrats! :) I'm sure your wallet and BP are happier for it. 

My professors tell us to apply to how many based upon our GPA. Here is the chart that I have been given when trying to decide how many to apply to.

10-12 schools for 3.1-3.4 GPA

6-9 schools for 3.5-3.75 GPA

4-6 schools for 3.7-3.8 GPA

3-4 schools for 3.9 and up

My GPA is a 3.70 cumulative so I applied to 8 schools. So far, I have gotten into 4 schools. I have been placed on the waitlist for two of them. And, still waiting to hear back from the other two. In my opinion, do your research and apply to ones that fit in your criteria. I spent around $900 to apply to my 8 schools. 

4 minutes ago, A-1 said:

My professors tell us to apply to how many based upon our GPA. Here is the chart that I have been given when trying to decide how many to apply to.

My GPA is a 3.70 cumulative so I applied to 8 schools. So far, I have gotten into 4 schools. I have been placed on the waitlist for two of them. And, still waiting to hear back from the other two. In my opinion, do your research and apply to ones that fit in your criteria. I spent around $900 to apply to my 8 schools. 

$900 for eight schools?! Were they on CSDCAS? That seems like a lot...

1 minute ago, Procaffeination said:

A little over $900, yes. Most of mine were on CSDCAS, and some of them required university applications as well. This cost also includes sending two college transcripts to all of my schools, the GRE test, and of course application fees. 

3 minutes ago, A-1 said:

That’s a helpful scale! For any California applicants determined to stay in state, I’d reccommend 6+ schools for 3.9-4.0, 8+ for 3.7-3.8, and 10+ schools for anything below that. Of course SOP and experiences play a role too. The problem is the schools are so overwhelmed by 500-600 applications, many do a blind GPA/GRE cutoff. 

3 minutes ago, Procaffeination said:

$1100 for 9 schools after transcripts, app fees, and ETS fees. Many had CSDCAS and school specific applications which both had fees.

1 minute ago, Rezzy S. said:

$1100 for 9 schools after transcripts, app fees, and ETS fees. Many had CSDCAS and school specific applications which both had fees.

Oh man, I forgot about the ETS fees... those were outrageous. I'll take this L.

1 minute ago, Rezzy S. said:

Oh man, I forgot about the ETS fees... those were outrageous. I'll take this L.

I applied to 8 schools... now I'm kind of (very much) wishing I hadn't applied to so many because I have been accepted at all of them. I think I had a lot of self-doubt about how competitive of an applicant I really was (as every program I applied to was very competitive), combined with indecision because I found exciting things I liked about every program I applied to. Ultimately, it is nice to have all these acceptances as a vote of confidence that 8 different admissions committees think I have what it takes to become an SLP, but I'm already poor and spending over $1200 on applications (including GREs, sending scores/transcripts, etc.) was NOT fun and applying to that many schools took a lot of time. 

I'll post my stats at the bottom as I don't know how to make a signature lol, but I'm hoping this helps some applicant in the future who may see this and be in a similar situation. 

GPA: 3.89 overall, 3.8 CSD | GRE: 159V, 158Q, 5W (best scores I received between the 2x I took the test)

undergrad at Iowa with LORs from two senior faculty and a PhD candidate I do research with, study abroad, VP of a panhellenic sorority, some relevant experience with kids and people with disabilities, kind of threw my SOPs together, but they were still decent I'd say

Accepted at: University of Maryland - College Park, University of South Florida, University of Iowa, University of Arizona, University of Utah, University of Minnesota, University of Texas - Austin, University of Washington - Seattle (MedSLP)

Edited by Type6SLP
mistake

1 hour ago, Type6SLP said:

I applied to 8 schools... now I'm kind of (very much) wishing I hadn't applied to so many because I have been accepted at all of them. I think I had a lot of self-doubt about how competitive of an applicant I really was (as every program I applied to was very competitive), combined with indecision because I found exciting things I liked about every program I applied to. Ultimately, it is nice to have all these acceptances as a vote of confidence that 8 different admissions committees think I have what it takes to become an SLP, but I'm already poor and spending over $1200 on applications (including GREs, sending scores/transcripts, etc.) was NOT fun and applying to that many schools took a lot of time. 

I'll post my stats at the bottom as I don't know how to make a signature lol, but I'm hoping this helps some applicant in the future who may see this and be in a similar situation. 

GPA: 3.89 overall, 3.8 CSD | GRE: 159V, 158Q, 5W (best scores I received between the 2x I took the test)

undergrad at Iowa with LORs from two senior faculty and a PhD candidate I do research with, study abroad, VP of a panhellenic sorority, some relevant experience with kids and people with disabilities, kind of threw my SOPs together, but they were still decent I'd say

Accepted at: University of Maryland - College Park, University of South Florida, University of Iowa, University of Arizona, University of Utah, University of Minnesota, University of Texas - Austin, University of Washington - Seattle (MedSLP)

Congrats on getting into 8 school. That’s amazing!

Since I was worried about a lower gpa and writing score on the GRE, I applied to 12. Honestly, I wish I'd stopped at 6 or so... it was SO EXPENSIVE. And two of my schools had free applications! But it eased my fears to know I was casting a wide net.

39 minutes ago, Becky G. said:

Since I was worried about a lower gpa and writing score on the GRE, I applied to 12. Honestly, I wish I'd stopped at 6 or so... it was SO EXPENSIVE. And two of my schools had free applications! But it eased my fears to know I was casting a wide net.

I completely feel this! I applied to 9 schools that were spread across the U.S. anticipating that I would have a difficult time getting into schools... I wish I had cut down on schools I know I didn't want to attend... this is surely a lesson learned haha!

For those of you who applied to many schools and got into more than one... how did you pick which one? I wasn't expecting ng to get into any and now I'm stumped. 

And I applied to 4 even though I had a low cumulative gpa. I graduated from undergrad 8 years ago. I don't have the option of moving because we have a house and my husband has a job and I have three kids with friends and school where we are. So I looked into what schools near Chicago were within an hour commute time and applied to all of those. 

7 hours ago, zaralee said:

For those of you who applied to many schools and got into more than one... how did you pick which one? I wasn't expecting ng to get into any and now I'm stumped. 

And I applied to 4 even though I had a low cumulative gpa. I graduated from undergrad 8 years ago. I don't have the option of moving because we have a house and my husband has a job and I have three kids with friends and school where we are. So I looked into what schools near Chicago were within an hour commute time and applied to all of those. 

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm in the same boat with trying to choose programs and it feels impossible! I'm trying to combat my anxiety by creating spreadsheets with cost of tuition, living, and scholarship options. I also created another with courses offered/not offered at each. I'm tempted to pick the cheapest one, but they don't have as many courses or opportunities so I'm not sure yet.