Applications 2019

Sigaba

In the same boat as many you on the not feeling a whole lotta love coming my way from Columbia, I feel prepared for the rejection as well, just wish they'd let us know. Me and everybody else, I know, I know.

I'm trying to stay away throughout the height of the waiting period, but I hope everyone's holding up okay!

I've started using 24 hour sets of SelfControl (an app that blocks any website you choose for a specified time--even if you restart the computer, go on incognito, etc) on this website, on my laptop. I'm too lazy to use my (very slow) phone, so I can either check this site every 24 hours, or at work. I'm actually able to focus on uni again, for the first time in a month. 10/10, would recommend to anyone.

5 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

I have been overthinking everything so thank you for responding! Do you think that I should ask the admissions advisor who emailed me as well?

No. Your tuition and fees are covered and you get 28K in addition to that. This is a standard funding package at the schools Berkeley competes for admits with.

7 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Speaking of Columbia, does anyone know what's going on with them and Harvard? Harvard sent out some acceptances, Columbia some acceptances and rejections...

Ugh I wish. My best guess is they sent out some definite acceptances and some definite rejects, are waiting to see if they get any immediate responses and then firming up the wait list with possibly a handful more acceptances (but if we haven't heard anything yet I'm personally expecting rejections). 

5 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Speaking of Columbia, does anyone know what's going on with them and Harvard? Harvard sent out some acceptances, Columbia some acceptances and rejections...

From what another student admitted to Harvard's program told me - and this is coming from his POI, so it is a little down the grapevine - Harvard sent out all the acceptances already. Next week we're suppose to receive the *official* letter from GSAS w/funding info. Of course, this is only from one person so it isn't 100%. I'll inquire about it when I speak to my POI next week though.

Just now, urbanhistorynerd said:

From what another student admitted to Harvard's program told me - and this is coming from his POI, so it is a little down the grapevine - Harvard sent out all the acceptances already. Next week we're suppose to receive the *official* letter from GSAS w/funding info. Of course, this is only from one person so it isn't 100%. I'll inquire about it when I speak to my POI next week though.

Disappointing, but not surprising. 

2 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Disappointing, but not surprising. 

Apperently they sent out 19 acceptances, but I'm unsure how many waitlisted people there are. From another person who applied, they told me 34 people made it to the top 10%. But I'm assuming they are going to send waitlisted notification soon. So, you never know.

Edited by urbanhistorynerd

3 minutes ago, historygeek said:

It looks like another Harvard acceptance literally just came in.

That was mine! I never ended up submitting it. In fact, even though a couple people here posted they got in, I don't think anyone has submitted theirs.

And I filled it out incorrectly. This is sign that I shouldn't try doing anything without two cups of coffee in the morning...

Edited by urbanhistorynerd

Decisions are starting to fly in. Last night I was rejected from my second choice program and was absolutely heartbroken, I thought they were very interested. 

Then, this morning while I was in a classroom working, an e-mail came in to check the application portal from my top choice program. I sat in the GA office and panicked about opening the portal. I GOT ACCEPTED!!! After 2 rejections, this was a shock, but a pleasant one and nice to hear while sitting in an office across the hall from my current department head. 

2 minutes ago, DanaJ said:

Decisions are starting to fly in. Last night I was rejected from my second choice program and was absolutely heartbroken, I thought they were very interested. 

Then, this morning while I was in a classroom working, an e-mail came in to check the application portal from my top choice program. I sat in the GA office and panicked about opening the portal. I GOT ACCEPTED!!! After 2 rejections, this was a shock, but a pleasant one and nice to hear while sitting in an office across the hall from my current department head. 

Congrats! That's fantastic news! 

1 hour ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

Apperently they sent out 19 acceptances, but I'm unsure how many waitlisted people there are. From another person who applied, they told me 34 people made it to the top 10%. But I'm assuming they are going to send waitlisted notification soon. So, you never know.

19 Harvard acceptances seems high. Does that mean some of us that got the informal acceptance email could still be turned down by the GSAS? The History Department's website says that they aim for a cohort of 16. Is it just that they anticipate 3 will turn them down?

9 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

I have been overthinking everything so thank you for responding! Do you think that I should ask the admissions advisor who emailed me as well?

One of the things you learn at Cal--my UG institution-- is to ask every question at least twice. However, how you ask is vitally important. "I am calling/emailing to confirm the information I've seen at source 1, source 2, and source 3..." is better than "Is it true that..." or any question that gives a hint that you are going to be that grad student.

6 minutes ago, MARTINt said:

Am I the only one who has this on the Harvard application portal?

Clicking the link leads to a page saying: "503 Error This page is inactive."

image.png.f9366c5050fd4755c2581272f1fdb087.png

I have that too, and the same thing happened with the 503 error.