Applications 2019

Sigaba

15 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Okay, it looks like maybe the Columbia decisions have stopped?

I was just talking with my supervisor, and they said all History Department acceptance letters are out and they are out all at once. > <

Also, this year there is only one acceptance in the field of Japanese history.

1 minute ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

I was just talking with my supervisor, and they said all History Department acceptance letters are out and they are out all at once. > <

Also, this year there is only one acceptance in the field of Japanese history.

ahh that's what I was afraid of.

In the case of Harvard and Columbia, is it fair at this point to assume rejection?

1 hour ago, historykeeno said:

Can anyone offer any wisdom RE Chicago? Have they likely sent all their offers - there's no clear picture from the results section?

If Chicago doesn't contact you now, they may do so in March with a MAPPS offer. That's what happened to me. 

2 hours ago, thisisnew said:

Any idea if all duke admits have been sent? I've seen multiple acceptance but no rejections in the results a few weeks ago; I have yet to receive a (presumed) rejection...

They send acceptances in a batch, this was a few weeks back. In previous years, rejections have come, also in a batch, on Friday next week (the 15th). I'm assuming they send these out as it's a week before their accepted students' visit weekend and they'll have their cohort ready then.

For those if you who have received personal e-mails from professors/students, do reply as soon as you have your nerves together to type without "OMG!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL!!!"  Rather, just respond polite in this way

"Thank you so much for your warm note. I am delighted to have this offer in hand and I look forward to staying in touch about the upcoming visitation weekend."

As always, keep an open mind to the various options if you are so fortunate to have them to choose from.  I also will say this, if you end up with just one program and it's a funding offer, your other option is always to decline and do something else or try again next year.  I've seen it happen here although very heart-breaking on the applicant's part. 

Finally, ALL it takes is one funded acceptance for this cycle to end.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

For those if you who have received personal e-mails from professors/students, do reply as soon as you have your nerves together to type without "OMG!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED TO HEAR FROM YOU!!! THIS IS MY DREAM SCHOOL!!!"  Rather, just respond polite in this way

"Thank you so much for your warm note. I am delighted to have this offer in hand and I look forward to staying in touch about the upcoming visitation weekend."

As always, keep an open mind to the various options if you are so fortunate to have them to choose from.  I also will say this, if you end up with just one program and it's a funding offer, your other option is always to decline and do something else or try again next year.  I've seen it happen here although very heart-breaking on the applicant's part. 

Finally, ALL it takes is one funded acceptance for this cycle to end.

Should we respond to the email informing us of acceptance if it is sent by office staff? Not sure whether confirming receipt is the polite thing to do in this case or just bothersome. 

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

Same!  Think we're going to be out of luck for another 2-3 weeks though.

If they roughly line up with previous years, people selected for interviews should hear next week. That might give us a better idea, although I have absolutely no idea if they interview as a matter of course or only for select candidates. Or maybe I'll just have to freeze myself for a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

14 minutes ago, Nicator said:

If they roughly line up with previous years, people selected for interviews should hear next week. That might give us a better idea, although I have absolutely no idea if they interview as a matter of course or only for select candidates. Or maybe I'll just have to freeze myself for a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

Hopefully we'll both end up there in the fall!

1 hour ago, Dark Paladin said:

Should we respond to the email informing us of acceptance if it is sent by office staff? Not sure whether confirming receipt is the polite thing to do in this case or just bothersome. 

YES.  Office staff do have very long memories like professors.  They don't always get treated well by the faculty and graduate students alike (i.e. ignoring them, don't see them as valuable, or worse, abuse them).  Make their day by noticing them and the time they took (even if it's part of their job) to send you an e-mail welcoming you to the program. Especially if one is doing the assigning of TAs to courses, ordering the files for committee review for grants....  and, oh, they do talk to advisers about your behavior. #hardlessonslearned

Edited by TMP

Well...my stress and anxiety skyrocketed today. How are Harvard and Yale contacting accepted candidates? If it is an official email, then I did not receive anything. Looks like its time to put the backup plan into action since this cycle isn't my turn either.

12 minutes ago, Tigla said:

Well...my stress and anxiety skyrocketed today. How are Harvard and Yale contacting accepted candidates? If it is an official email, then I did not receive anything. Looks like its time to put the backup plan into action since this cycle isn't my turn either.

I got an official email (Yale).

Some schools won't send out offers until late February (e.g. Penn and Berkeley) so you still have time. 

5 minutes ago, Dark Paladin said:

I got an official email (Yale).

Some schools won't send out offers until late February (e.g. Penn and Berkeley) so you still have time. 

I had an interview with my POI at Yale, though. So, I had a bit more hope for that uni than I did for the rest of them.

10 minutes ago, historykeeno said:

Was anyone else hoping to hear from Wisconsin-Madison today? Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I was, too! I'm sure it will be here tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I was, too! I'm sure it will be here tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, historykeeno said:

Was anyone else hoping to hear from Wisconsin-Madison today? Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

I'm attending a meeting tomorrow that will almost certainly cover these sorts of questions. I know roughly how many offers are going out for history and HSMT, but I'm not yet sure they're finalized. I

3 minutes ago, psstein said:

I'm attending a meeting tomorrow that will almost certainly cover these sorts of questions. I know roughly how many offers are going out for history and HSMT, but I'm not yet sure they're finalized. I

Thank you very much for the update! Looks like it could even be next week then before we hear any news.

15 hours ago, MARTINt said:

Am I the only one who has this on the Harvard application portal?

Clicking the link leads to a page saying: "503 Error This page is inactive."

image.png.f9366c5050fd4755c2581272f1fdb087.png

I received this last night as well (I am on European time right now) and I checked back a few hours later and it disappeared. For me, I didn't have a status update to go along with it though.