Applications 2019

Sigaba

1 hour ago, villageelliot said:

On a slightly better note, I have a phone call coming up with William and Mary to talk about their MA program. Are there any questions I should ask? What is important to know? Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Ask about things the website can't really tell you. What is student life like? Are there any history grad student associations? How often do their students present at conferences or publish? Are there opportunities to do those things, and is there any funding for them? How are GA's assigned? Do GA's usually hold office hours? Is there any grad student lounge/lab/study space? What are the demographics of the campus? (side note: this question usually allows you to glen some information about campus politics if you're interested and know how to listen for it). Are there opportunities for interdisciplinary work with other departments? etc...
Mostly ask about things you're interested in. At this stage, W&M has said that they think you are a good fit for them, now you get to decide if *they* are a good fit for *you*.

Edited by Aithera
Didn't include quote of post I was replying to

15 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Totally with you on this! I wrote an email to my Harvard POI (I was rejected from Harvard), who very kindly replied with further advice on how to improve my profile. Then the second time I applied to PhD programs, I got in. (although I didn't apply to Harvard this time also based on that POI's advice) The field is really really small, and in my sub-field all established historians seem to know each other. And I actually met with two of my POIs last semester when they came to give talks at my current school, both are from programs that rejected me. :) In my experience, our relationships with any of our POIs won't end just because we are rejected from their programs. 

Thank you for sharing, it's great to hear the perspective of someone who has been through this!

7 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

@HardyBoy Do you think that all of the Princeton acceptances have been sent out?

I applied to the Princeton History of Science program, which accepts people separately from the Princeton History program. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing all the HOS admissions have gone out, since I saw some rejections on the page, too. I don't think regular Princeton admissions have gone out yet, though.

Finally got my official rejection from Columbia. Not sure why it took so long to come but the beauty of TGC is I saw it coming so I'm not surprised or upset. 

Plus my W&M phone call was fantastic and I'm really looking forward to their MA program if I don't get a PhD admit this cycle.

4 minutes ago, adsperli said:

Has anyone heard anything from Emory or UMich? I was hoping for some answers by the end of this week.

Also waiting for Emory - I was told to expect decisions by mid-February. 

4 minutes ago, ikeabookshelf said:

Any word from Wisconsin, anyone? Was hoping to hear by EOW (although there's still a little time).

Nothing yet. I am also eagerly awaiting to hear something. I think their offers are normally sent out in the evening EST, so I'm not ruling it out just yet!

Just now, historykeeno said:

Nothing yet. I am also eagerly awaiting to hear something. I think their offers are normally sent out in the evening EST, so I'm not ruling it out just yet!

Yeah it seems like schools don't really abide by 9-5 especially if their decisions come through POI's/personal emails and not portals.

I just received my Yale rejection not too long ago. No email- I checked my application portal and there it was quietly waiting for me. I hope I get an e-mail. I haven't been contacted in any way, shape, or form through e-mail by any faculty or admission committees. It's bad enough to be rejected, but I would appreciate the heads up. Unless Johns Hopkins and Yale accurately assume that I am constantly checking my application portals. 

1 minute ago, Taorluath34 said:

I just received my Yale rejection not too long ago. No email- I checked my application portal and there it was quietly waiting for me. I hope I get an e-mail. I haven't been contacted in any way, shape, or form through e-mail by any faculty or admission committees. It's bad enough to be rejected, but I would appreciate the heads up. Unless Johns Hopkins and Yale accurately assume that I am constantly checking my application portals. 

I saw others on the results page not getting emails from Yale, but I think they might just be behind on sending them out. I just got one a couple of minutes ago.

Hey guys! I'm new to this thread (and this site ?), so warm greetings to you all. I applied for the Renaissance Studies program at Yale with a focus on history. I know that the application has to clear two departments (both Ren. Studies and History). When the rejection emails started coming in today, I was expecting to be among them, but haven't received an email or update on my portal yet. I suppose I'm wondering whether it's possible that the Renaissance Studies Dept. makes its decisions at a later date (or whether History and other related depts. speak for them). Has anyone else applied to Renaissance Studies?

By the way, congrats to everyone and good luck to those still waiting! :)

It looks like Notre Dame finally got around to contacting those of us who did not get interviews. I expected the rejection, but that took FOREVER!!! I have been accepted to a program that seems to be a fantastic fit with my research interests, so that one didn't sting too badly.

5 hours ago, Taorluath34 said:

I mean it in the nicest sort of way when I say that, for your own mental health, you need to learn to let this go. Job searches don't even let you know half the time.

Re. the alt-ac resources stuff mentioned on the previous page, I wouldn't ask this particular question in an interview, especially if my interviewer is a senior academic at a department that considers itself 'elite.' Some older academics may view any mention of careers outside academia at such an early stage as a red flag; younger historians tend to have a more sympathetic and realistic attitude.

Departments are working hard to destigmatise this conversation, and most faculty are fundamentally caring and decent, so they're trying to get with the times, but just in case I wouldn't bring it up in my first interaction with a potential advisor.

Edited by L13

I got an e-mail from University of Oregon notifying me that I was admitted to the MA program and on the wait list for funding. So far 3/3 out of the programs I applied to. I must say it's a nice boost of confidence. Now to wait for funding information. 

9 hours ago, telkanuru said:

I mean it in the nicest sort of way when I say that, for your own mental health, you need to learn to let this go. Job searches don't even let you know half the time.

Yeah, a really good point and suggestion. Definitely have learned a lot this application cycle, that's for sure.