Applications 2019

Sigaba

Echoing what someone mentioned up thread, do any of y'all have a sense of whether certain sub-fields in history send out responses later? I do medieval Europe and have heard zero from any of the six places I applied. I've also seen very little on the notice board about acceptances or rejections regarding medieval applicant specifically, but I am seeing history traffic in general. 

56 minutes ago, Thucydude said:

Echoing what someone mentioned up thread, do any of y'all have a sense of whether certain sub-fields in history send out responses later? I do medieval Europe and have heard zero from any of the six places I applied. I've also seen very little on the notice board about acceptances or rejections regarding medieval applicant specifically, but I am seeing history traffic in general. 

I don't know any school that announces subfields separately. We medievalists are few enough that there will be reporting holes.

1 hour ago, Thucydude said:

This is certainly not the case in my department, and the information I was given when I was applying suggests it's not the case elsewhere either. Departments finalise their lists together.

The only exception I can think of is when a certain subfield represents its own administrative unit, which is essentially what history of science departments are (no offence). In medieval history, I imagine schools with medieval studies programmes like Notre Dame and Fordham might have a more convoluted acceptance cycle, but that's it.

12 hours ago, Thucydude said:

Which schools did you apply for?

15 hours ago, hbhowe said:

Also, when possible, I would say you should try to think strategically about who's writing your recommendations in terms of the programs you apply to. Two of my recommendations were written by professors who had strong connections with my top two schools and I know for a fact that this helped me a lot at at least one school. It feels a little like cheating, but academia is an insular place and potential advisers will be more likely to take a chance on you if their friend from back in the day tells them you're a good bet. That said, the first priority with recommendations is still that they actually know you and are willing to write positive things about you. 

Basically: applications are a lot more about interpersonal and academic relationships than you might think. Use the contacts you have. 

Although this is true, it's also terrible. I'm sure many people with no connections are offered admission (right?) but for all of us who come from unknown universities or foreign countries this puts us in considerable disadvantage. 

15 hours ago, L13 said:

The only exception I can think of is when a certain subfield represents its own administrative unit, which is essentially what history of science departments are (no offence). In medieval history, I imagine schools with medieval studies programmes like Notre Dame and Fordham might have a more convoluted acceptance cycle, but that's it.

History of Science programs are trending towards integration with broader history departments. The HoS program in Wisconsin sends out acceptances with the history department, and I think Columbia's does as well.

1 minute ago, psstein said:

History of Science programs are trending towards integration with broader history departments. The HoS program in Wisconsin sends out acceptances with the history department, and I think Columbia's does as well.

Speaking of Wisconsin...any insider updates? ?

Just now, HardyBoy said:

Speaking of Wisconsin...any insider updates? ?

Not that I've heard. I spoke to someone who sat in on the meeting and all he told me was "they're going out soon." I would expect knowing this week, but it honestly seems like every program is notifying earlier than in past, save a few.

7 hours ago, MARTINt said:

Which schools did you apply for?

U Toronto, Cornell, U Chicago, Harvard, and Yale. Several of those institutions have distinct medieval studies programs, so I suppose I shouldn't be all gloom and doom. Still, I fear the ship has sailed for U Chicago and Harvard. 

51 minutes ago, Thucydude said:

U Toronto, Cornell, U Chicago, Harvard, and Yale. Several of those institutions have distinct medieval studies programs, so I suppose I shouldn't be all gloom and doom. Still, I fear the ship has sailed for U Chicago and Harvard. 

Chicago may have referred you for the MAPPS, in which case you'll hear in 2-3 weeks.

30 minutes ago, historykeeno said:

Are anymore NYU offers likely to come out at this point? 

I've only seen one acceptance so far, and I find it unlikely that no one in this forum got accepted, but I'm not sure. ? 

1 hour ago, fosgfp said:

what's with the staggered uchicago acceptances?

Every school handles decisions differently for whatever reason it chooses. As you will learn in academia, everyone will run their own race, including receiving decisions.

Just now, fortsibut said:

Yep good luck!  Gonna be judgement week out of Madison for sure, hopefully it's not a Valentine's Day massacre like (Harvard?) did a few years back.  ?

It seems like Harvard usually does a Valentine's Day massacre. ? I'm prepared! 

Long time listener, first-time caller. Haha, but seriously I've been watching this forum since at least December. Calculated my target schools accept/reject windows based on at least five years worth of historical data, the whole nine yards. This is one hell of an addictive site. So far I've received two acceptances and not a peep from my other target schools. My research interests revolve around military history, primarily 20th Century U.S.  

I’ve been enjoying the banter, posts of acceptances and rejections, and the great levels of mutual support given to each other. I hope this support continues across the discipline as we become colleagues in the near future. 

Best of luck to everyone, indeed. 
Edited by ClausewitzIsCool