Applications 2019

Sigaba

20 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Thanks! I wish all programs had a grad student lurking on Grad Cafe giving updates like this. :)

Congratulations on Princeton! What are your research interests?

2 hours ago, historygeek said:

Does anyone know if Columbia sends out acceptances all at once

I applied to the History - East Asia program (joint program between the History department and EALAC) through EALAC, and I was notified by one of my POIs (who's coordinating the joint program last year) via a Skype call disguised as a third interview (they made an appointment with me via email to say they would like to talk a bit more, so...) before I got the notification to check the portal. Maybe the process is different for those who have a non-East Asia focus, but awwww I am soooo excited and I'm gonna ask my supervisor about it on Thursday!

Congrats to those who already got Columbia acceptance! :D

I was beginning to find this waiting process kind of debilitating when it comes to finishing my thesis work, but I've gotten out of the funk and have accepted that it's not the end of the world if I get all rejections. Radio silence is hard to cope with though. I'm both appreciative of this site for the insight I can get from the results page (knowing nothing would practically kill me), but it's also discouraging to see schools I applied for sending out acceptances. I thought I had a shot at UVA :( UPenn, not so, I didn't do a great job with the 10 page limit. 

Figured I'd pop in to congratulate everyone on their acceptances. I remember the anxiety from last year's cycle and I'll be plunging back into next time around, I don't envy the stressful waiting period you all are going through.

Hi everyone, does anyone have any information about USC? It seems that they admitted some people a few weeks ago, and judging from previous stats, they should have sent out rejections last week... Is it safe to assume that everyone else has been rejected?

13 minutes ago, hahahahaleigh said:

Hi everyone, does anyone have any information about USC? It seems that they admitted some people a few weeks ago, and judging from previous stats, they should have sent out rejections last week... Is it safe to assume that everyone else has been rejected?

i don't know about USC, but we both interviewed with UCI. were you told anything about when we might hear back? 

1 hour ago, latecalifornia said:

i don't know about USC, but we both interviewed with UCI. were you told anything about when we might hear back? 

I was not. I thought of asking, but I didn't want to sound pushy/too confident or something.

How did your interview go? Mine seemed to go well - I have my fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, hahahahaleigh said:

Not sure about rejections, but I think they've admitted everyone (I recently got an email about the recruitment weekend that included everyone). I haven't heard anything about wait-lists, though, so that might still be forthcoming. Fingers crossed.

Edited by ikeabookshelf

12 minutes ago, ikeabookshelf said:

Not sure about rejections, but I think they've admitted everyone (I recently got an email about the recruitment weekend that included everyone). I haven't heard anything about wait-lists, though, so that might still be forthcoming. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info. And congrats on your admission!

I just received my funding information via email for PhD in history: "The department will provide you fellowship funds totalling $28,500, plus tuition, fees, and health insurance."

Does this mean that 28,500$ is my living stipend and is in addition to all tuition and fees? I ask because some schools call the total funding a "fellowship" and list the living stipend explicitly as one part of said fellowship. Thank you!

14 minutes ago, mediumatcha said:

I just received my funding information via email for PhD in history: "The department will provide you fellowship funds totalling $28,500, plus tuition, fees, and health insurance."

Does this mean that 28,500$ is my living stipend and is in addition to all tuition and fees? I ask because some schools call the total funding a "fellowship" and list the living stipend explicitly as one part of said fellowship. Thank you!

plus = in addition to.

https://grad.berkeley.edu/admissions/apply/fellowships-entering/

Before you divide $28.5k by what ever number, don't forget to do your due diligence to see how the taxes are going to hit you.

A moderator of this BB may be able to provide additional information. I recommend that you look her up.

Edited by Sigaba

14 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

plus = in addition to.

A moderator of this BB may be able to provide additional information. I recommend that you look her up.

I have been overthinking everything so thank you for responding! Do you think that I should ask the admissions advisor who emailed me as well?

Edited by mediumatcha