Chapman University

19 minutes ago, Jspeechy said:

I just saw a rejection for Chapman... what do you think this means for the people who haven’t heard back since interviews? ?

I never interviewed, but when I emailed inquiring about my status I was told my application was still being reviewed. I was just expecting to be rejected (and may still be). Thought that was strange.

52 minutes ago, Rezzy S. said:

I never interviewed, but when I emailed inquiring about my status I was told my application was still being reviewed. I was just expecting to be rejected (and may still be). Thought that was strange.

It's odd that they're saying that they're still reviewing files. (No more interviews are being scheduled.)

The cohort is practically full with deposited students.

Edited by hiimkhanh

1 hour ago, hiimkhanh said:

It's odd that they're saying that they're still reviewing files. (No more interviews are being scheduled.)

Could be a nice way of saying, be patient, we’ll send your rejection when we feel like it ?

9 hours ago, hiimkhanh said:

I hope it doesn’t fully fill up - I got a towards the top of the waitlist email and Chapman is my number 1 pick :) any idea how many spots are left? 

13 hours ago, Rezzy S. said:

Ugh I had the same conversation with them earlier this week. It honestly feels a little rude to string us along for so long when we know interviews happened months ago and people have been accepted. Even a WL at this point we know we're lower on the list than people who interviewed who were waitlisted. Lots of heartbreak in this process :) Good luck!!!

I'm debating if I should go to Chapman or a CSU for graduate school. The CSU makes more financial sense as the fellowship award I received from Chapman is a very small amount. For those of you that are committed to going to Chapman, can you provide more details as to why it is your first choice? 

1 hour ago, speechieontherun said:

I can answer for them, and you know the answer deep inside as well - you've been denied admission.

Yes I’m expecting that, but I don’t want to accept to EWU before I know for certain. 

Edited by slptobe!

3 hours ago, slptobe! said:

Yes I’m expecting that, but I don’t want to accept to EWU before I know for certain. 

You weren't offered an interview, people who were interviewed are on the waitlist. Why would you think that you would be offered a waitlist spot or admission without an interview? 

Edited by speechieontherun

34 minutes ago, speechieontherun said:

You weren't offered an interview, people who were interviewed are on the waitlist. Why would you think that you would be offered a waitlist spot or admission without an interview? 

Some people on this forum are so deluded, that they think that a miracle will happen and they would be an exception.

Some of the confusion may be that last year on April 1st someone reported on the results page that they were waitlisted without an interview.

@speechieontherun the way you commented on posts is not supportive of other students. If you don’t mind me asking, have you received admission to a graduate program this fall? Because whether you have or have not, this is not an environment of disencouragement.

50 minutes ago, laura120 said:

@speechieontherun the way you commented on posts is not supportive of other students. If you don’t mind me asking, have you received admission to a graduate program this fall? Because whether you have or have not, this is not an environment of disencouragement.

It's the reality, people are hoping for a miracle that isn't going to happen.

Whether or not they want to accept the truth, that's on them. But I'm not going to sugarcoat it and say "Don't worry! I'm sure there's a chance you'll get a waitlist!" When there's no chance of it happening.

@speechieontherun I’m not asking that you sugarcoat it. I’m asking that you don’t comment at all if you are unable to support other students. There is a difference between being realistic and being cruel. Please get off grad cafe.

15 minutes ago, laura120 said:

@speechieontherun I’m not asking that you sugarcoat it. I’m asking that you don’t comment at all if you are unable to support other students. There is a difference between being realistic and being cruel. Please get off grad cafe.

I'm not being cruel at all.

April 15th is coming up, and I'm informing her to not hedge her bets on a school that didn't interview her. There's a 99% chance that Chapman isn't going to reply to her in time so she's going to need to her deposit down for the school that already accepted her, and it would be a shame that she lose her slot waiting on something that is very unlikely to happen.

There is more than one way to provide support.

Edited by speechieontherun

7 hours ago, speechieontherun said:

I'm not being cruel at all.

April 15th is coming up, and I'm informing her to not hedge her bets on a school that didn't interview her. There's a 99% chance that Chapman isn't going to reply to her in time so she's going to need to her deposit down for the school that already accepted her, and it would be a shame that she lose her slot waiting on something that is very unlikely to happen.

There is more than one way to provide support.

Maybe next time phrase it the way you just did? That does sound more supportive. As we know, the written medium can make it quite challenging to convey the paralinguistic features of language. It's very easy to read too much into something that is written bluntly, and to make it sound a certain way in our heads when it was not intended that way. I find myself writing extra carefully (and editing after I post and reread it) to make sure nothing can be construed weirdly. I wish we had diacritics we could use to show tone and emotion!

Just want to throw out there that last year I was waitlisted at chapman w/o an interview and turned down the spot because I was accepted to NYU's residential program. There's no way to really know what's going on with these programs. It's a bad way to do things, they know how small this community is etc. but it's not impossible I guess?