2020 application thread

Sigaba

22 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

Thank you to the mystery Emory person! My subfield is not European, so there's still a chance! 

Two things:

1) Emory, like many other departments, is shrinking its cohorts. 

2) Sometimes, subfields slots has to do with other cohorts. Eg: if the last two cohorts has too many Europeanists* and no Africanists then the this year the AdComm might try to balance those numbers with more slots for African History. 

* and we could have an entire thread on what "too many" means.

36 minutes ago, AP said:

Two things:

1) Emory, like many other departments, is shrinking its cohorts. 

2) Sometimes, subfields slots has to do with other cohorts. Eg: if the last two cohorts has too many Europeanists* and no Africanists then the this year the AdComm might try to balance those numbers with more slots for African History. 

* and we could have an entire thread on what "too many" means.

Thanks for the info! I posted that half in jest, mainly because I didn't put all of my eggs into Emory's basket, I probably should have posted, "so you're saying there's still a chance"

Edited by historyofsloths

35 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

Thanks for the info! I posted that half in jest, mainly because I didn't put all of my eggs into Emory's basket, I probably should have posted, "so you're saying there's still a chance"

Yeah, don't worry. Also, my typos. ?

33 minutes ago, The Bee's Proverbial Knees said:

@telkanuru

Do you know if the Brown results out yet or the acceptance result posted today is a troll? 

To the Brown person if it's not a troll, what are the details on your acceptance? Was it on the portal? 

I think they probably got a POI email as I know multiple people on this forum applied there and no one else has posted any results. I wouldn't be surprised if they send out notices today or next week though.

15 minutes ago, Titus Flavius said:

They don't deserve you.

^This approach to rejection may be emotionally satisfying in the moment but unsustainable in the long run.

It is never too soon to start thinking and behaving like a member of the profession one seeks to join. Between now and at least the time one earns tenure, one will likely hear "no" more often than "yes." How one responds internally and externally to disappointing outcomes will be a part of how you're viewed by the gatekeepers of the craft.

My $0.02.

I agree with @Sigaba's advice. Rather than treating rejection dismissively, even at this stage, critically evaluate your applications and materials and try to pin down which of the items you control were the weakest. Perhaps your historiography section in your writing sample was poor? Maybe the project you outlined in your SoP has already been abundantly addressed?

IMO, it is worth being very critical of your own work, without considering a rejection as a personal failing. You will hear "no" much more often than "yes" in this field, and in any professional field you choose to work in.

38 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

^This approach to rejection may be emotionally satisfying in the moment but unsustainable in the long run.

It is never too soon to start thinking and behaving like a member of the profession one seeks to join. Between now and at least the time one earns tenure, one will likely hear "no" more often than "yes." How one responds internally and externally to disappointing outcomes will be a part of how you're viewed by the gatekeepers of the craft.

My $0.02.

I second all of this. 

33 minutes ago, psstein said:

Rather than treating rejection dismissively, even at this stage, critically evaluate your applications and materials and try to pin down which of the items you control were the weakest. Perhaps your historiography section in your writing sample was poor? Maybe the project you outlined in your SoP has already been abundantly addressed?

IMO, it is worth being very critical of your own work, without considering a rejection as a personal failing. You will hear "no" much more often than "yes" in this field, and in any professional field you choose to work in.

Additionally, it is important to understand the importance of how some individuals fit better into groups than others. As I've mentioned earlier, the meaning of "fit" as used on this BB has shift over the years. I think that this shift works to the detriment of those who think fit is about how established professors and departments suit the interests and needs of individual applicants.

One of the hardest parts of this process and what comes after is understanding that as much as one is competing against others, one is also in an unending contest against one's own limitations. Saying anything along the lines of "screw those guys..." is, IMO (and IME in the private sector), is ultimately self limiting.  

Edited by Sigaba

1 hour ago, The Bee's Proverbial Knees said:

@telkanuru

Do you know if the Brown results out yet or the acceptance result posted today is a troll? 

To the Brown person if it's not a troll, what are the details on your acceptance? Was it on the portal? 

Hi I'm not a troll lol. Got an email to check the portal. 

Edited by coolperson54321

1 hour ago, ghj00 said:

My field is East Asia, hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I’m modern Europe, so there is hope yet...

Side note, does anyone know if all U of Washington acceptances are sent out same day only?

Edited by jocelynbymarcjacobs

On 1/30/2020 at 5:23 AM, IGoToWar said:

I actually think that they do not all come out at once. Obviously it depends on the department/amount of offers, etc. But from what I've seen, different subfields seem to send out acceptances on different days. Can't speak for all programs though.

They're not posted at once. I don't know of any graduate program that allows sub-fields of a department to make the final decision on admitting applicants. The department and then the graduate school universally does a full check.

Some POIs will reach out when an app is sent on to the graduate school, which makes the notification appear to be early.