2020 application thread

Sigaba

2 hours ago, pudewen said:

You should translate - this is the standard for contemporary academic writing and its bizarre that your department told you not to. If you think it will help showcase your language abilities, you can include the original language in footnotes. But the ability to produce clear translations of the sources you work with is an important skill, and one that should be apparent in your sample.

Maybe less bizarre with more context - it’s not a thesis developed in a history department. In any case, I appreciate the feedback. 

Hi everyone,

If the department does not specify a word limit for the statement of purpose, but the graduate school says that it should not be over 1000 words, how strictly do you think it is enforced? Berkeley recommends a SOP of 1000 words, but their sample statement of purpose is way over the limit, thus contradicting their own recommendation. This makes me wonder if they even look at the word count and if being 50-100 words over is okay. What do you guys think?

On 11/25/2019 at 6:38 AM, DeNovo said:

Hi all - 

I'm editing my writing sample atm, and I am trying to decide whether or not to translate the passages and quotes in my thesis to English. The paper itself is in English, but per my department instructions, all quotes were kept in the original language. Any thoughts? 

The general rule I was taught is to always translate everything into the language you are writing in and then provide the original in the footnote. In your case, I would translate to English and footnote the original.

11 hours ago, FruitLover said:

Hi everyone,

If the department does not specify a word limit for the statement of purpose, but the graduate school says that it should not be over 1000 words, how strictly do you think it is enforced? Berkeley recommends a SOP of 1000 words, but their sample statement of purpose is way over the limit, thus contradicting their own recommendation. This makes me wonder if they even look at the word count and if being 50-100 words over is okay. What do you guys think?

It is probably in your best interest to be around 1000 words, though slightly over is okay. It's really designed to prevent them from having to read 10 page SoPs with multiple footnotes, long historiographical discourses, etc.

Hello everyone, I'm taking the GRE in a couple of days (yes it's late, the date I was registered to originally was cancelled, I've already discussed this with all the relevant departments). I'm really horrible at math, and didn't really get to study enough as I was working hard on the application materials. I was wondering- do you think a (very) low quant grade would mess up my chances of acceptance to top schools?

For context, I am applying to: Johns Hopkins, Berkeley, Chicago, Brown, Harvard, Rutgers (and Michigan, who don't require GRE)

41 minutes ago, MANER said:

Hello everyone, I'm taking the GRE in a couple of days (yes it's late, the date I was registered to originally was cancelled, I've already discussed this with all the relevant departments). I'm really horrible at math, and didn't really get to study enough as I was working hard on the application materials. I was wondering- do you think a (very) low quant grade would mess up my chances of acceptance to top schools?

For context, I am applying to: Johns Hopkins, Berkeley, Chicago, Brown, Harvard, Rutgers (and Michigan, who don't require GRE)

Just take it.  Move on afterward and focus on what you can control-- the writing sample and statement of purpose.  If you don't get anywhere this year, you can always retake the GRE.

6 hours ago, MANER said:

Don't worry -- rest well and be the best of who you are. The GRE is only one part (and the least important part) of the application. Be kind to yourself and do what's best for you -- both in the short-term application process and in your long-term life. 

Edited by anbri

I did atrociously on the quant section of the GRE and was still accepted to numerous schools. And trust me when I say "atrociously" I'm not being modest. It was bad - storming the beaches of Gallipoli bad. Don't fret.

22 hours ago, MANER said:

The fact that Michigan doesn't require a GRE should speak volumes to you about how little it seems to matter in today's admissions decisions. Some schools will be firm in the scores that they are looking for, but others will be more flexible. I am currently in my first year of a doctoral program and I was significantly short of their verbal requirements. I did score very high on the written portion. I also made a campus visit, kept in touch with the department, and had a strong application otherwise. As for math, don't stress it. I am really terrible (we are talking sixth percentile math), but most programs don't even request a math score. It's just there as part of the general GRE. 

Good luck!!

Again, this is going to vary by institution. Some have pretty strict cut-offs mandated by the university. For state schools, it may not affect your admissions, but in may cases whether or not you get awarded university vs. departmental funding (usually a $10,000+ difference) is purely dependent on your quantifiable metrics.

12 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

Well, the first deadline day (Dec. 1) has come and gone. Who submitted?

Getting a start adapting one aspect of an application for another, I have already found one typo!! :(

I got my first two in this weekend have another two this week ? I am so sorry about your typo! If its any comfort I almost sent in a writing sample with the wrong school on the header. Thank god they let you see the sample before you click submit!

14 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

Getting a start adapting one aspect of an application for another, I have already found one typo!! :(

I submitted a couple of applications and still have a few to go. Don't worry about the typo! I'm second-guessing my SoP, but there's no point worrying now.

4 hours ago, eloiwy said:

I got my first two in this weekend have another two this week ? I am so sorry about your typo! If its any comfort I almost sent in a writing sample with the wrong school on the header. Thank god they let you see the sample before you click submit!

2 hours ago, FruitLover said:

I submitted a couple of applications and still have a few to go. Don't worry about the typo! I'm second-guessing my SoP, but there's no point worrying now.

The second guessing and checking and re-checking file names of what we uploaded and sent -- I guess this is life for the next little while.

In the meantime, I've got a thesis a bunch more applications to finish. Good luck to everyone

On 12/2/2019 at 3:24 AM, hojoojoh said:

I submitted 3/6 of my applications. The other three aren't due until the 15th, so I have some time to keep working on my SoPs and my Writing Sample. I'm with the other commenters, it's just a typo! I know someone who's very first sentence in their SoP started with a very obvious typo and she was accepted into all three of her programs. You got this!

Edited by historyofsloths

On 12/9/2019 at 1:45 PM, Sigaba said:

ALCON--

If you're not finding the answers you need, make sure you ask your questions!

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

I promise that, despite our gruff and straightforward approach to advice giving, @Sigaba, @telkanuru, and I don't bite! Can't say the same for anyone else though! ?

On 10/14/2019 at 7:26 PM, Izzyb0616 said:

Hi! I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post this here, but I figured I might as well ask. Pretty much, I'm not sure if it's worth applying to history phd programs because I don't know if I'd be a strong applicant . 

About me: I'm a senior at a small liberal arts college majoring in history. I love studying history and really want to pursue a phd. I'm currently working on a senior thesis about the early 20th Century United States-- particularly the Communist Party of the United States' ideology in regards to gender and the engagement/activism of women within the Communist Party. I'm broadly interested in the early 20th century-- especially the ideological, political, and cultural changes of the times. Generally, I want to study who became engaged with these massive changes, how these changes came about, and who they left behind. I'm particularly interested in how the 20th century changes relate to gender, and therefore I'm fascinated by the interaction between gender, labor activism, and cultural works. Given these interests, I'm thinking of applying to phd programs at Wisconsin, Michigan, Columbia, Berkeley, and UCLA. I know it's a long shot, so is it worth applying? FWIW, I have a strong GPA and good GRE scores. But, I'm also still an undergrad without any "real life" experience. So, if anyone has any advice/insight, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Hi - Current ABD student here. I've seen a lot of posts about women/gender history. Just want to shamelessly plug that there are programs that offer joint-degrees or minor certificates in WGSS. I'm currently in the dual-PhD program in WGSS and History.  I came for the history program, which hovers around #25 in rank, but found that the WGSS program is much higher-ranked and regarded, leading to more open doors. From personal experience, working in multiple departments offers more funding/teaching opportunities (I'm at instructor of record in the WGSS dep) and works to your advantage on the job market. 

Plus, theory and methods classes are often weak in history departments and interdisciplinary work at any level of formality can help to strengthen your work. 

alright, soapbox done! PM me if you have any questions, your work sounds like it would relate to people in my department!

Harvard just sucked up an extra couple of hours of my time -- typing out the relevant classes taken (from as far back as 2008!) and employment history ... for two apps! Of course I left this to the end and sure enough was sweating it out in the dying minutes copy and pasting and clicking the drop-down lists.

Only one left now. How is everyone doing?

15 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

Harvard just sucked up an extra couple of hours of my time -- typing out the relevant classes taken (from as far back as 2008!) and employment history ... for two apps! Of course I left this to the end and sure enough was sweating it out in the dying minutes copy and pasting and clicking the drop-down lists.

Only one left now. How is everyone doing?

14 minutes ago, historyofsloths said:

@hojoojoh Oh you know, just creating pinterest boards/Amazon wishlists of supplies and accessories I'd want to get to build my own home office. You totally got this! Where all are you applying?

Just submitted my two applications: Notre Dame and Rice. Now I just need to focus on my M.A. thesis and don't freak out.

Edited by LucasL