Columbia SIPA MPA 2020

shrishti

55 minutes ago, ab1987 said:

I completely agree. In my case I decided to focus on getting an admit by submitting my best application by the final deadline instead of submitting a half-baked one. I really hope to be able to negotiate with them for some financial aid. Can anyone tell whether its possible to negotiate for aid if someone hasn't applied by the fellowship consideration deadline?

Would love to know as well! Seems like they are either offering 30k or so in aid or nothing at all... if someone is planning to negotiate, I'd appreciate any tips or approaches :)

1 hour ago, ab1987 said:

I completely agree. In my case I decided to focus on getting an admit by submitting my best application by the final deadline instead of submitting a half-baked one. I really hope to be able to negotiate with them for some financial aid. Can anyone tell whether its possible to negotiate for aid if someone hasn't applied by the fellowship consideration deadline?

I think it's highly unlikely since you didn't submit by their deadline. A deadline is a deadline, even if it is earlier than other schools. You can definitely ask if you want, but I imagine you'll just receive an email saying you should've submitted earlier.

35 minutes ago, Yass said:

Would love to know as well! Seems like they are either offering 30k or so in aid or nothing at all... if someone is planning to negotiate, I'd appreciate any tips or approaches :)

I sent an email saying I received other fellowships and asking if there's a way to be reconsidered. I will post their response next week.

26 minutes ago, sloop7 said:

Any thoughts on SIPA vs. SAIS for geopolitical risk / market-entry type private sector work?

Probably slight advantage to SIPA for location and relationship with places like Eurasia group.

5 hours ago, GradSchoolGrad said:

I looked at SIPA once upon a time for a domestic policy based program. I will admit that every program has its own nuance, so I would check in about what MIA is about. However, the people I knew at SIPA (including someone who once worked there) highlighted how school was just where people went to class + did some projects, but their social lives + community was based upon their legacy NYC friends, and this was the norm. I will say that my friends were purposely looking for a school that made it easy to continue their NYC lives. 

I decided against Fletcher (and I went to classes there and have two really good friends that went there) pretty quickly for a very me reason. That is, I don't want to be in an academic environment where I would isolated from other disciplines. Tufts Fletcher simply doesn't have other grad programs geographically nearby or collaboration with undergrads (actually undergrads pretty much despise Fletcher people). Yes, true Fletcher is part of the consortium with MIT and Harvard so you can take classes there, but given the geographic distance + logistics, there isn't true collaboration. I really enjoyed leading, managing, and coaching undergrads in grad school, and I felt like we made each other better. Admittedly, SAIS has this challenge as well, but the bottom is that you are in DC and dong work with real world institutions super easily buttresses that pretty easily.  

If any school has a weak (or at least very hyper clique community) that is McCourt. For admitted students day (and I was part of it once), they bring on the smiles and anointed popular kids (or popular kids of the moment). The most successful people had to strike it out very much on their own because McCourt provided inadequate institutional support/management/community. 

I don't want to dissuade you from your decision, but I was an undergrad at Tufts and absolutely loved the Fletcher students who mentored me. I had students who started to recognize me because I went to a lot of Fletcher events, and teaching assistants were amazing and would help me after class with career advice because they knew I was really serious about following in their footsteps, and there were also a number of events where they gave advice to undergraduates. However I can't tell from the way writing this whether or not you're already in graduate school so no biggie but for anybody who reads this and feels the same way, I just want to offer a different opinion that I got a lot of mentorship from Fletcher students and was really jealous of their supertight community just because they were all best friends and always had so much fun together and I always really wanted that for myself in grad school

6 hours ago, Spunkydudette said:

I visited Fletcher and Georgetown, both of which seemed like tight-knit student communities to me (which I enjoy).  Would really appreciate any additional color you could provide about the vibes of these different programs. 

This is so relieving to hear that you found this about Georgetown. I was nervous that with the curve and all of the other opportunities in DC that people wouldn't be friends

3 hours ago, Bubba94 said:

This is so relieving to hear that you found this about Georgetown. I was nervous that with the curve and all of the other opportunities in DC that people wouldn't be friends

Yes— I was pleasantly surprised. I attended a class at Georgetown and found the students outgoing and easy to chat with. Of course, this was just a snapshot of the greater program. However, I specifically remember them chatting about going on a hike/picnic together that coming weekend ?

Which options are you weighing? @Bubba94

I don't want to dissuade you from your decision, but I was an undergrad at Tufts and absolutely loved the Fletcher students who mentored me. I had students who started to recognize me because I went to a lot of Fletcher events, and teaching assistants were amazing and would help me after class with career advice because they knew I was really serious about following in their footsteps, and there were also a number of events where they gave advice to undergraduates. However I can't tell from the way writing this whether or not you're already in graduate school so no biggie but for anybody who reads this and feels the same way, I just want to offer a different opinion that I got a lot of mentorship from Fletcher students and was really jealous of their supertight community just because they were all best friends and always had so much fun together and I always really wanted that for myself in grad school

I want to highlight, that I absolutely agree - one of the strengths of Fletcher is a very tight community within Fletcher and they have an amazing academic program + awesome alumni. The Fletcher people I knew went to each other's weddings. @Bubba94 I'm also glad you got a great experience out of Fletcher people while you were at Tufts. I hope that is more of the common reality. It just so happens that in my social circle of Tufts undergrad people (people I knew in grad school, intramural volleyball, met at conferences and etc., that was not the reflection they had. As context, their impressions upon Fletcher people were when Fletcher people went to classes outside of Fletcher and engaged the greater Tufts academic community. @Bubba94, it sounds like you come it as someone who actively engaged the Fletcher community, which I think is great. However, the point I want to make is that when I checked out Fletcher, I didn't see efforts of Fletcher have that much opportunity to actively collaborate with the greater academic community outside of some course offerings that Tufts had. Part of this is the reality of how Tufts doesn't have a Law, MBA program, and its Public Health program is in downtown Boston (logistically harder to get to). These are things that matter to me. It may not matter to other people. 

Look, the reality is that at Georgetown MPP, just like any other graduate program, people get to know each other and become friends and do stuff together. There is no denying that. What I want to highlight is that Georgetown MPP is not the place where classmates push each other professionally and make an effort to make each other better. For example overheard, at my sisters' different public policy programs (in addition to the lets go out and eat/hike) are things like, "hey, I hear you researching IDEV in Columbia, I know a conference is coming to town and my friend is really into Latin America IDEV who will be speaking, let me connect you". The lack of professional emphasis at McCourt is what bothered me. Keeping in mind that there are lots of things going on --> academic rigor, semester side internships, and extensive fun things to do in the DC area (because it really is fun place), it was professional development that was highly absent. When I say community, it is more than just about friends hanging out, I mean a professional community where people professionally grow with each other and professionally develop each other. 

The consequence of this are things like my final project team of 4, I was crazily the only one who had a job waiting for me at graduation. The rest of my team were all scholarshiped students + "student leaders". However, because of how poorly McCourt (as an institution and as a community) prepares people for the professional policy environment, it took them 6 months or so (in a booming economy keep in mind) to get a job. My sisters' friends from her MPP programs all had jobs at graduation. Sure - I get it is a small sample size, but these are important things to think about. 

Edited by GradSchoolGrad

Seems that quite a few people who did not get any fin aid (or at least, no news of fin aid) still had a second link that just took them back to the admit letter. Anyone else NOT have a second link? At the bottom of my admit letter it only has a link back to the main portal and on the main portal there is only the link to the admit letter.

4 hours ago, maripo20 said:

Seems that quite a few people who did not get any fin aid (or at least, no news of fin aid) still had a second link that just took them back to the admit letter. Anyone else NOT have a second link? At the bottom of my admit letter it only has a link back to the main portal and on the main portal there is only the link to the admit letter.

Same here. Is it safe to assume that applicants who haven't gotten any aid "yet" are not getting any at all?

On 3/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, Spunkydudette said:

Yes— I was pleasantly surprised. I attended a class at Georgetown and found the students outgoing and easy to chat with. Of course, this was just a snapshot of the greater program. However, I specifically remember them chatting about going on a hike/picnic together that coming weekend ?

Which options are you weighing? @Bubba94

Ahh I feel like I'm supposed to have it more figured out by now but currently deciding between 4 options still. Was counting on admitted students days to help me figure it out but nope haha anyways picking between Yale Jackson (full ride + living stipend, nervous about whether it's a "known" enough program or not), SIPA (full ride), MSFS (half ride), and Georgetown Democracy and Governance (expensive but I'm obsessed with it). And confused about which programs help get into a PhD program later because I want to keep that option on the table. Where are you at in the process? 

Ahh I feel like I'm supposed to have it more figured out by now but currently deciding between 4 options still. Was counting on admitted students days to help me figure it out but nope haha anyways picking between Yale Jackson (full ride + living stipend, nervous about whether it's a "known" enough program or not), SIPA (full ride), MSFS (half ride), and Georgetown Democracy and Governance (expensive but I'm obsessed with it). And confused about which programs help get into a PhD program later because I want to keep that option on the table. Where are you at in the process? 

Responding via DM ?

Hi guys. I wanted a bit of help. 
Can anybody provide me a comparison between Harris MPP and SIPA MPA programs, given that admits are received from both with similar funding. I havr about 4+ years of work ex and am looking to take up courses in advanced economics (macro, micro), healthcare and technology. 

I was looking at the course structure and although harris does offer relevant courses, it gives more emphasis to microeconomics than macro. Thus, relatively less international. SIPA provides so many electives making it difficult to choose from, although gives a more international perspective. 

Which would be an academically better program and also placement wise. Looking at private as well as public sector opportunities in US. 

5 hours ago, Stonecold07 said:

Hi guys. I wanted a bit of help. 
Can anybody provide me a comparison between Harris MPP and SIPA MPA programs, given that admits are received from both with similar funding. I havr about 4+ years of work ex and am looking to take up courses in advanced economics (macro, micro), healthcare and technology. 

I was looking at the course structure and although harris does offer relevant courses, it gives more emphasis to microeconomics than macro. Thus, relatively less international. SIPA provides so many electives making it difficult to choose from, although gives a more international perspective. 

Which would be an academically better program and also placement wise. Looking at private as well as public sector opportunities in US. 

I can't answer this specifically but offering my two cents.

I recently talked to someone who graduated from SIPA and she highlighted two things about SIPA's courses - quant heavy and global in nature. In terms of job opportunities, her opinion was that having an Ivy league on your resume is certainly an advantage in and out of US and SIPA's students are favorably placed for UN jobs. 

U-Chicago is known for its economics faculty, a great number of luminaries have walked those halls. Maybe you can find out whether the MPP course is flexible enough for you to take advantage of this.  

Good luck!

1 hour ago, joyzhc said:

is there anyone still waiting for decisions... I have not received any emails yet...

I never received an email. Just check the portal. If nothing's there, you should email and ask.

46 minutes ago, thediesel said:

I never received an email. Just check the portal. If nothing's there, you should email and ask.

I have emailed and call them but no one received response... Probably because they are not in the office now...Do you see the decision in the  portal without email notifications ?