2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

8 hours ago, harshz3792 said:

The post says accepted via Phone on 23rd January. I think whoever posted it forgot that 23rd is tomorrow!

They could also be in Asia and actually received the call on the 23rd.

23 hours ago, Morning123 said:

I am also waiting each day for responses from GW and UNC, as it seems it was around this time in previous years that they sent results. How are you all coping with the stress and uncertainty? I am especially afraid of being rejected from all ten places I applied to, although I know it's a scenario I should prepare for. Would appreciate any words of wisdom!

Last year I was rejected from all eight schools that I applied to. It was horrible. Good news, if that happens, it makes the second time around less stressful! I am nowhere near as obsessive this year as I was last year and it gave me time to make my application that much better. We still have a long ways to go - hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

44 minutes ago, taraeh said:

Last year I was rejected from all eight schools that I applied to. It was horrible. Good news, if that happens, it makes the second time around less stressful! I am nowhere near as obsessive this year as I was last year and it gave me time to make my application that much better. We still have a long ways to go - hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Lol same thing happened to me. Rejected from all 6 i applied to. I'm also less obsessive than last year, but i think a major reason for that is the fact that this time around i actually have a job so i have something to do for 8 hours a day, as opposed to last time when i was a college senior with A-LOT more free time.

Best of luck to you this time around! 

6 minutes ago, Mixedmethodsisa4letterword said:

Anxiously scrolling over old threads from past cycles.
Gotta say this week has been a lot quieter than last year. 

yeeeeeeeee. i noticed that too. 

I'm hoping that today and tomorrow will be exciting, but i think next week will have more action. 

1 hour ago, Dwar said:

Lol same thing happened to me. Rejected from all 6 i applied to. I'm also less obsessive than last year, but i think a major reason for that is the fact that this time around i actually have a job so i have something to do for 8 hours a day, as opposed to last time when i was a college senior with A-LOT more free time.

Best of luck to you this time around! 

Yes! We are back again this year Dwar. I was finishing grad school at Columbia last year and OBSESSED about getting in somewhere because I forgot what life was like without school and didn't know what else I could possibly do. Now, fortunately, I am making quite a bit of money, traveling for work, writing, and teaching back at Columbia. I would love to get into a program but feel equally satisfied with the direction life is going and am realizing that I can do a lot of things without a PhD that I thought I needed a PhD for... imagine that. Best of luck to everyone!

Anyone hear back from Upenn? Last year they didn’t send out accept/reject until late in February, but it looks like this has varied over the past few years. Also, does anyone know if they usually conduct interviews? 

8 minutes ago, Dwar said:

Did they ask y’all if you have outside funding? 

I think UCLA and OSU is known for this sketchy stuff. IMO no one should attend a grad program without receiving full funding from it. It's basically telling people that they don't really want you

1 minute ago, Theory007 said:

I think UCLA and OSU is known for this sketchy stuff. IMO no one should attend a grad program without receiving full funding from it. It's basically telling people that they don't really want you

I am not %100 sure about the Political Science department but I was admitted to OSU's Educational Policy program with 5y full funding couple days ago.

I hope it is the same for PoliSci too.

2 minutes ago, kemalgider said:

I am not %100 sure about the Political Science department but I was admitted to OSU's Educational Policy program with 5y full funding couple days ago.

I hope it is the same for PoliSci too.

I heard that 35-40 people were invited to OSU's open house last year where only about half had funding guaranteed. So crazy stressful for those without guarantees who basically put their lives on hold, many of whom never received funding in the end

6 minutes ago, horololo said:

I just got an email from UW-Madison that they recommended me for admission!!

I always liked Madison! Great city, great program, ranked well. But too bad, for me, that they do not specialize in analytic political theory

47 minutes ago, ihatedecisions said:

@those who recieved UWM offers:

what track are you guys and did you all got an interview? My portal is still in review. 

Theory, and I had an interview. My portal is still in review too!