2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

3 hours ago, uchenyy said:

Anyone claiming the Northwestern admit? 

I can't help but suspect that Northwestern is done sending out acceptances.  ? The first acceptance on the list said they got the letter on the 17th.  The latest said they got it on the 28th.  That's a pretty big gap of time, and there are already 7 admits on the list (1 looks sketchy with a super low GRE though).  I don't want to give myself false hope, so I've half-resigned myself to rejection at this point. 

Edited by StarkDark1

1 hour ago, LetMeInPLS said:

Has anyone heard back from UC Riverside, Irvine, Berkley, or really any UC?? Im driving myself crazy refreshing my email and the results page, waiting on the schools to notify me when i should be studying for my political theory exam tomorrow ? also @Dwar what program are you applying for? Im going through the exact same thing. I got rejected from rice, which I knew was inevitable due to poor fit as well, yet, the rejection threw me into complete panic mode.

The UCs I applied for are UCLA and UCSB. I haven’t seen anything from either. Although UCLA did send out an email last week asking for applicants with external funding to let the department know. 

3 hours ago, LetMeInPLS said:

Has anyone heard back from UC Riverside, Irvine, Berkley, or really any UC?? Im driving myself crazy refreshing my email and the results page, waiting on the schools to notify me when i should be studying for my political theory exam tomorrow ? also @Dwar what program are you applying for? Im going through the exact same thing. I got rejected from rice, which I knew was inevitable due to poor fit as well, yet, the rejection threw me into complete panic mode.

I was waitlisted at Berkeley via a nice email from faculty. Email mentioned that they admitted an unusually small cohort this year. 

27 minutes ago, BunniesInSpace said:

Just curious, did they say how many they admitted/an acceptance rate or anything? 

No, they didn't give details on that. 

13 hours ago, Vivlovelife28 said:

Saw a post on result page: rejected by Boston University via email.

Anyone calming it? Has anyone else heard back from Boston University? 

There's another rejection posted. I would take them with a grain of salt though, there were two rejections and one acceptance two days ago that were later removed. I'm just going to assume the BU submissions are spam until we see something more credible.

6 minutes ago, fauxgranite said:

There's another rejection posted. I would take them with a grain of salt though, there were two rejections and one acceptance two days ago that were later removed. I'm just going to assume the BU submissions are spam until we see something more credible.

I was the BU acceptance and claimed it a couple days ago earlier in this thread - not sure why it got deleted from the spreadsheet. Maybe they’re going individually and that’s why they’ve been so sporadically posted? 

14 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

I can't help but suspect that Northwestern is done sending out acceptances.  ? The first acceptance on the list said they got the letter on the 17th.  The latest said they got it on the 28th.  That's a pretty big gap of time, and there are already 7 admits on the list (1 looks sketchy with a super low GRE though).  I don't want to give myself false hope, so I've half-resigned myself to rejection at this point. 

If this were the case, it would be very uncharacteristic for a number of reasons. I’m not one to give people false hope [especially since hope is a Hesiodic vice, yo], but here’s what’s up:

- Let’s waive the low GRE. Fact is Northwestern accepts lower GREs, given ranking. 

- Northwestern, historically speaking, sends out both acceptances and denials all throughout the month of February. This would be both slightly early and against pattern if this first wave were the only wave of acceptances Northwestern had to offer. Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that this first wave is entirely legitimate and only contained acceptances. There would still be more waves, with scattered acceptances and increasing amounts of denials, over the next few weeks. 

- As stated before, people who like trolling but, like, in the least entertaining and economical way possible, given its cost-benefit analysis, will watch GC forums and post/re-post for different schools given the amount of ‘bite’ they think they’ll receive. Since there’s been so much speculation about whether the initial Northwestern results were valid, IF they weren’t [I’m agnostic on this], I can see someone making them look ‘more’ valid by posting a later acceptance. Again, I’m dealing with two hypotheticals in this post: one where the first wave contained legitimate acceptances; and one where it didn’t. This bullet stipulates that it did not.

- For a school like Northwestern to have no CLAIMED admissions in a cycle would be unprecedented. Every year is different, and there’s a first time for everything. But that’s just odd. Very odd, especially given everything else. 

Edited by Artifex_Archer

Just got my first rejection from George Washington University! A bit of a bummer but luckily it wasn't my first choice but just claiming one of the many rejections so people don't assume it's a troll.