2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

1 hour ago, fauxgranite said:

Anyone here apply to the Harvard or Georgetown PhD in Government programs?

I applied to Harvard -- nothing yet. But Harvard usually doesn't get back until nearer to end of February based on the last few years. I posted a bit earlier on this thread a list of approximate dates you can expect to hear back. 

Also heads up -- I have a friend at Michigan that said they likely will have a very small cohort this year because they had an unusually high yield last year (like 20 in the class). Similar to Duke, except they are taking some students this year. 

2 minutes ago, sloth_girl said:

Also heads up -- I have a friend at Michigan that said they likely will have a very small cohort this year because they had an unusually high yield last year (like 20 in the class). Similar to Duke, except they are taking some students this year. 

I think michigan did the same thing last year, like only accepting 4 people or so. Last year the word was the previous year they'd had a very high yield so they weren't accepting alot of new students. 

6 minutes ago, sloth_girl said:

I applied to Harvard -- nothing yet. But Harvard usually doesn't get back until nearer to end of February based on the last few years. I posted a bit earlier on this thread a list of approximate dates you can expect to hear back. 

you sure about that? Because I think I read it somewhere that the last year was extremely small cohort because of a very high yield the year before but this season should be back to normal. 

1 hour ago, ihatedecisions said:

you sure about that? Because I think I read it somewhere that the last year was extremely small cohort because of a very high yield the year before but this season should be back to normal. 

This season (Michigan) is back to normal. The compensation was done during last application season. However, notice that over the years, according to their tableau, their yield has been increasing. They are not likely to admit as many people as they used to anyway, because they recognize the prestige they are accruing.

6 minutes ago, SeriousDiver said:

This season (Michigan) is back to normal. The compensation was done during last application season. However, notice that over the years, according to their tableau, their yield has been increasing. They are not likely to admit as many people as they used to anyway, because they recognize the prestige they are accruing.

that's what I was thinking. I do not expect to get in there though :)

6 minutes ago, captmarvel said:

That isn't me, but I received an acceptance from them today. My portal has not changed though.

Hey Captain Marvel,

You got into UCI, right? Do you happen to know if they are taking a smaller cohort this year? 

15 minutes ago, Ralvarez said:

Anyone claiming the UCSB acceptance? I haven’t heard anything. I think this is kind of early for them. 

I'm the UCSB. Received a very nice email (seemed form-filled) from DGS with funding and recruitment day details.

18 minutes ago, billk said:

I'm the UCSB. Received a very nice email (seemed form-filled) from DGS with funding and recruitment day details.

Congrats! I appreciated they gave the funding details right away. 

23 minutes ago, Theoryboi said:

Hey Captain Marvel,

You got into UCI, right? Do you happen to know if they are taking a smaller cohort this year? 

Yes I did. Unfortunately I don't have any insight into that at this point. They asked for an RSVP to their visiting day by February 7, so I assume all decisions will go out by that time. Best of luck to you if you applied!!

39 minutes ago, SDMSK said:

Waitlisted at UVA, CP subfield.

Can someone share some insights on the chances of being accepted off waitlist at UVA?

UVa waitlists a lot of people but few get admitted.