2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

2 hours ago, taraeh said:

I actually think the northwestern admits are accurate. They often put very little weight on the GRE and a good GPA from a good school goes a long way (which the previous low GRE post had). A lot of people don't know about this forum and only check the results page which is why people have conversations on there instead of here. Last year they came in one wave about the third week of Jan too. I hope I am wrong - but I have lost a bit of hope at this point.

Although Northwestern may not care as much about the GRE, the department's website notes that a GRE V score below 160 means the likelihood of admission is low. Yes, exceptions can made made--and probably are--but we're talking about a score of 148 here, not a 158 or 159. 

6 hours ago, taraeh said:

I actually think the northwestern admits are accurate. They often put very little weight on the GRE and a good GPA from a good school goes a long way (which the previous low GRE post had). A lot of people don't know about this forum and only check the results page which is why people have conversations on there instead of here. Last year they came in one wave about the third week of Jan too. I hope I am wrong - but I have lost a bit of hope at this point.

There is a 99.99999999999999% chance that the report is fake. 148/153 is way too low for polisci PhD programs, let alone a top-25 one. 

Edited by Mixedmethodsisa4letterword

23 hours ago, StarkDark1 said:

One person claimed an acceptance with like a 148 verbal and 153 quant score.  Is it even possible to get into Northwestern with those scores?  

From memory, their website states that anything BELOW 148 Quant means that one’s chances of admission are ‘low’. I can’t recall off the top of my head what they said about Verbal, but Northwestern is known for accepting applicants with lower GRE scores, relative to program ranking.

I do think the fact that the post in question reported receiving the exact ‘unofficial minimum’ GRE Quant score is odd. 

48 minutes ago, SeriousDiver said:

Berkeley just sent out admit emails. I got in

35 minutes ago, Nichrome said:

Also claiming a Berkeley admission!

What subfields? And is the application portal updated? 

Edited by sloth_girl

12 minutes ago, sloth_girl said:

What subfields? And is the application portal updated? 

8 minutes ago, captmarvel said:

Congrats on the Berkeley admits! Were they via a form email that seemed to go out to everyone at once or individualized?

I applied as a comparativist. No, the portal is not updated. They were pretty generalized forms, with the recipients name on top. I'm looking forward to other schools though. I also want to note that they may indeed not have sent out everything to every admit. Maybe  they did it by alphabetical. Maybe by field. Maybe by submission of application date. 

Edited by SeriousDiver

According to the user submitted survey results, Baylor had two interviews on January 15th. That has me thinking that my chances of admittance are non-existent, since I did not receive any requests from them for an interview. Is it safe to assume that my chances at Baylor are pretty much null? 

40 minutes ago, fauxgranite said:

Anyone claiming any of the Boston University decisions? No update to my portal.

Claiming a BU acceptance - no update to my portal yet either. Got an email from a prof on the grad committee last week, said official letters and funding info would be coming soon. It seemed like a semi-personalized email so they might be sending our decisions individually. Good luck!! 

8 minutes ago, Ps20 said:

Claiming a BU acceptance - no update to my portal yet either. Got an email from a prof on the grad committee last week, said official letters and funding info would be coming soon. It seemed like a semi-personalized email so they might be sending our decisions individually. Good luck!! 

Congrats on BU admission! You already got accepted last week?? If so you might be the first and only person to be accepted to BU in this cycle. Congrats also for that!

Someone has reported an interview from UPenn, has anyone else received an email from them or is still waiting to hear anything? Keeping my fingers crossed that I get an email soon.