2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

12 hours ago, fauxgranite said:

There's another rejection posted. I would take them with a grain of salt though, there were two rejections and one acceptance two days ago that were later removed. I'm just going to assume the BU submissions are spam until we see something more credible.

I have received a generic rejection email from Boston University today.... just hoping one of the schools I applied to will accept me .... :( 

13 hours ago, Artifex_Archer said:

If this were the case, it would be very uncharacteristic for a number of reasons. I’m not one to give people false hope [especially since hope is a Hesiodic vice, yo], but here’s what’s up:

- Let’s waive the low GRE. Fact is Northwestern accepts lower GREs, given ranking. 

- Northwestern, historically speaking, sends out both acceptances and denials all throughout the month of February. This would be both slightly early and against pattern if this first wave were the only wave of acceptances Northwestern had to offer. Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that this first wave is entirely legitimate and only contained acceptances. There would still be more waves, with scattered acceptances and increasing amounts of denials, over the next few weeks. 

- As stated before, people who like trolling but, like, in the least entertaining and economical way possible, given its cost-benefit analysis, will watch GC forums and post/re-post for different schools given the amount of ‘bite’ they think they’ll receive. Since there’s been so much speculation about whether the initial Northwestern results were valid, IF they weren’t [I’m agnostic on this], I can see someone making them look ‘more’ valid by posting a later acceptance. Again, I’m dealing with two hypotheticals in this post: one where the first wave contained legitimate acceptances; and one where it didn’t. This bullet stipulates that it did not.

- For a school like Northwestern to have no CLAIMED admissions in a cycle would be unprecedented. Every year is different, and there’s a first time for everything. But that’s just odd. Very odd, especially given everything else. 

Thanks for the info.  There were a ton of rejections today (7 or 8).  Do you think this means that acceptance is less likely?  Or do you think that there is still a good chance that there a significant number of acceptances left?  

9 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

Thanks for the info.  There were a ton of rejections today (7 or 8).  Do you think this means that acceptance is less likely?  Or do you think that there is still a good chance that there a significant number of acceptances left?  

I’m not sure. I do think that at least a few more are likely. But we also don’t know how many of the first batch were real. 

In general, I think it’s futile to try and play too many guessing games with this. I try not to, apart from trying to gauge the general time frame for admissions and rough size of admit cohort. But even that can vary considerably from year to year. I also try to insulate myself from getting too desperate, either with expectation or with doubt. 

It’s easier said than believed/done, but: There will be people who get into higher ranked scores who look ‘worse’ than you on paper. There will be people who only get into lower ranked schools who look ‘better’. So much of this is fungible and arbitrary. And these decisions can be grueling for faculty as well.

You worked really hard and deserve to be proud of your effort and all the achievements that got you here. Right now, that’s all you can know, and you can and should move forward with that certainty regardless.

I think that’s important to keep in mind for acceptances as well as denials. 

1 hour ago, Artifex_Archer said:

I’m not sure. I do think that at least a few more are likely. But we also don’t know how many of the first batch were real. 

In general, I think it’s futile to try and play too many guessing games with this. I try not to, apart from trying to gauge the general time frame for admissions and rough size of admit cohort. But even that can vary considerably from year to year. I also try to insulate myself from getting too desperate, either with expectation or with doubt. 

It’s easier said than believed/done, but: There will be people who get into higher ranked scores who look ‘worse’ than you on paper. There will be people who only get into lower ranked schools who look ‘better’. So much of this is fungible and arbitrary. And these decisions can be grueling for faculty as well.

You worked really hard and deserve to be proud of your effort and all the achievements that got you here. Right now, that’s all you can know, and you can and should move forward with that certainty regardless.

I think that’s important to keep in mind for acceptances as well as denials. 

Gorgeous ! That’s really important for everyone during this special period of time 

8 minutes ago, PoliticalTheory13 said:

Claiming an OSU acceptance. Political Theory. Anyone know the chances of getting guaranteed funding?

Historically OSU has had issues funding all of their students, i believe they make those decisions near the visit date. If your letter doesn't talk about it i'd reach out to the DGS and ask. 

3 minutes ago, billk said:

Yes, but I think it's probably just a "you applied to the grad school 2020 class."

Yeah I think so too. I was thinking that, since it appeared kinda newly, they kinda made a decision for me, whatever it is. But I think it's a rejection!?

Edited by horololo

Just now, billk said:

why waste time say "Graduate Application 2020," when "Grad 2020" do trick

Image result for kevin from office why waste

Haha? I wanted to push the like button here, but it seems that I "cannot add more reactions" today. I hope they will just give me (my application) an instant and painless death already!

I just received my rejection from Northwestern. Super bummed - it was my #1 and I networked the hell out of the department. They emailed me to check website- I applied for CP.