2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

For whoever is interested in Georgetown applications

Dan Nexon (twitter, @ dhnexon) tweeted Feb 2 that: their gov't admission committee hasnt met yet and that they usually have two spots for IR. Other info included, like the odds are against you no matter what/job market is awful so it might just be good not to get into the program!

On a more personal note, I've learned a ton this past year via Twitter. It's an incredible source of information if the academic world is interesting for you. If you aren't there, you are missing out. For instance, this year I've applied only to Georgetown University. The decision was so easy to make once I have looked at the broader picture of admissions, the +- seven years of PhD work and the prospects of what's statistically about to happen after graduation. It became clear to me that its either Georgetown or just go pracademic. We do not live in an era in which you must have a PhD or be some ex-government personnel in order to become an expert. Are you smart enough? (because you truly don't have to be a genius... many professors prove that everyday lol) Is this truly your passion? are you devoted? the research, the dissemination of knowledge... then fear not, you can make it and have a really great time. You'll have it all - the publications, the respect, et cetera.

Best of luck to everyone :) 

1 hour ago, DrPepperGuy said:

Has anybody heard back from Brown yet?  It seems like we're coming up on their historical average to get back to applicants.

I have not heard anything from Brown; my portal remains unchanged. Theory subfield. 

Edited by niceward

Just spoke to someone at Upenn and the committee hasn’t made decisions yet, so we won’t hear until mid to late February. Which matches up with the dates from last year. I was hoping maybe they would be earlier this year ?

10 hours ago, niceward said:

I have not heard anything from Brown; my portal remains unchanged. Theory subfield. 

Same here - CP subfield.  I was hoping to get some closure from them last week but looks like it'll drag on a bit.

1 hour ago, niceward said:

Just spoke to someone at CU Boulder. They said, "The first round of decisions will come out this week."

I think I will be faint with relief whatever the result is when it comes. Now for the stress to monumentally increase this week! 

3 hours ago, sloth_girl said:

Just got an admittance to UC San Diego (Comparative subfield) via email

Congrats! That's outstanding. Did you by any chance submit either of those posts that had lower GRE scores? Just want to confirm that it's real.