2019-2020 Application Thread

Dwar

1 hour ago, e2e4 said:

If eligible, I would recommend taking advantage of GRE fee reduction program. This opens up a number of fee waivers. Affiliation with some programs that promote diversity open up waivers, but not all programs are included. Most top schools are happy to offer fee waivers if candidate shows demonstrated need / hardship. Apply for these early. I'd like to put Stanford on blast as an exception, as they have a particularly distressing system of selectively applying program waivers after candidate jumps through a number of hoops. I find this gatekeeping abhorrent. Georgetown's is also particularly troublesome. As you go lower in rank, it seems these waivers are harder to come by, but still worth the ask. In my mind, this very high barrier to entry runs counter to missions of diversity and inclusion. As if there wasn't already enough inequality and exploitation in higher ed

I am an interntional and no wavers really apply to me, so I ended up sinking an insane amount of money in this whole process :)

2 hours ago, e2e4 said:

Most top schools are happy to offer fee waivers if candidate shows demonstrated need / hardship.

This is great advice! I also want to point out that the Big 10 has a Fee waiver program for their schools (and Chicago). This applies to graduates from their school. You’ll have to go through their system and apply to each schools fee waiver separately. Some are easier to get then others.
I’m not sure if this is a uniquely Big 10 thing, or if other sports conferences have something similar, but it’s worth a shot to check! 

Edited by Dwar

Congratulations to everyone who have been admitted to political science department.  For those who are like me waiting to hear from universities: Don't lose your hope! Up until now, I have heard from two universities: Pitt and UC-Merced. Because of POI, I am more interested in to go to UC Merced. In their list, I am waitlisted. I know maybe it is too early for you to make a decision, but can you please inform the university that you are not interested if you have a better offer. I have applied totally 11 universities. So far: 0a/0r/2w/9p. I hope everyone will get acceptance from their dream schools. 

22 minutes ago, cardinal35 said:

What is everyone's top 3 schools that you applied for and really want to get accepted into? Mine are:

1. Michigan

2. UNC-Chapel Hill

3. Ohio State (accepted)

Mine are: 

1. CU Boulder

2. George Mason

3. U Denver! 

8 hours ago, niceward said:

Just curious... Anyone else applying to CUNY, Rutgers, JHU, Brandeis, or Brown? I've yet to hear from any of them. All theory subfield. 

I also applied for Rutgers (CP subfield). They usually inform around late Feb.  

8 hours ago, niceward said:

Just curious... Anyone else applying to CUNY, Rutgers, JHU, Brandeis, or Brown? I've yet to hear from any of them. All theory subfield. 

I applied to Brown! CP subfield.  Anxious to hear back from them haha

Anyone apply to UChicago? I think I opted in their application not to be considered for their MA programs if I'm denied PhD admission but I'm unsure whether or not I did now and I can't find an application proof on their portal. Wondering if I should contact them to request that I be considered, wait until after their decisions come out before reaching out, or just submit a new application since their MA priority deadlines were January 4th but their final deadlines are April 30th.

Just now, fauxgranite said:

Anyone apply to UChicago? I think I opted in their application not to be considered for their MA programs if I'm denied PhD admission but I'm unsure whether or not I did now and I can't find an application proof on their portal. Wondering if I should contact them to request that I be considered, wait until after their decisions come out before reaching out, or just submit a new application since their MA priority deadlines were January 4th but their final deadlines are April 30th.

I believe reaching out to them to ask if they can modify your application and put this additional request would be wiser since for the new MA application, you'll need new recommendation letters, have to pay the application fee and write a new SOP etc. 

Just call them and ask if it's possible.

9 hours ago, niceward said:

I applied to Brandeis but already I am settling up for a program I got admitted to, so most likely will not even accept their offer if admitted. 

Good luck to those who get to study there though!

6 minutes ago, kemalgider said:

I believe reaching out to them to ask if they can modify your application and put this additional request would be wiser since for the new MA application, you'll need new recommendation letters, have to pay the application fee and write a new SOP etc. 

Just call them and ask if it's possible.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll reach out to them to ask.

12 minutes ago, GabriellaG said:

I did :)! Did you as well?

I did not, But i do know that its an amazing school! The Korbel program is one of the best ones in the country. It out performs some of its rival schools in DC. 

I hope you get in!!! 

Edited by Dwar

42 minutes ago, Dwar said:

I did not, But i do know that its an amazing school! The Korbel program is one of the best ones in the country. It out performs some of its rival schools in DC. 

I hope you get in!!! 

Thanks so much! I had heard that as well. It's supposed to really be incredible and the admissions staff are really helpful 

1 hour ago, Dwar said:

I hope you get in!!! 

I visited there this summer before applying. It’s an absolutely gorgeous campus and the department is run very well. I’ve heard they only accept 3-4 PhD students a year though. 

49 minutes ago, Mr_Spock2018 said:

Woa! Anyone claiming Columbia?  I know we've seen some Columbia trolls this cycle.  My portal is still unchanged..

I haven't seen anything either -- could be a troll or just an earlier admit. 

Also, huge congrats to @Dwar on the acceptance!