Interview Attire

StormySkye

5 minutes ago, rainydaychai said:

I went to three interview weeks last year and the makeup choices of other applicants was something I did not notice - which probably means that no one was wearing anything too heavy! For myself, I wore foundation, eyebrow pencil, eyeshadow, and mascara, but only used one eyeshadow palette that is matte and in different tones of beige and brown. Overall, I was going for a "no-makeup makeup look" and I definitely didn't feel out of place.

Lipstick might be a little too much unless it's a very natural tone and you're comfortable wearing it in your daily routine outside of interviews (I usually notice lipstick and I can't say it was commonly worn by other applicants). A tinted lip balm or tinted lip gloss may be a better option. Just my opinion, though! :) 

I second this! I did very light makeup and a tinted lip balm. I don’t usually wear much makeup anyways (usually none at all) so some mascara and foundation was all I did. 

I have another question for folks about patterns. I love plaid and tweed, and while I wouldn't go for a tweed suit, what do you think about black slacks, a cream colored shirt, and a patterned blazer? I'm really leaning away from a plain jane black or navy suit. It just isn't my style. BUT I'm worried about being "too much". The blazer I love is a nice green color with black and cream. 

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I have to assume jeans of any kinds would be a solid no-no, regardless of concentration, same with t-shirts. I would still think you'd want to wear slacks of some kind and maybe  a sweater but more likely a dress shirt. 

Thanks for the response!

Is it okay to wear comfy outfits (still nothing crazy) on other days than the interview day? I am referring to the causal outfit I would wear in the evening I am flying in (and probs meet grad student who's housing me) and the morning I am flying out.

Just now, devpsych2020 said:

Thanks for the response!

Is it okay to wear comfy outfits (still nothing crazy) on other days than the interview day? I am referring to the causal outfit I would wear in the evening I am flying in (and probs meet grad student who's housing me) and the morning I am flying out.

I think so, I was planning on wearing dark jeans with a grey sweater and boots when I fly in. Probably not yoga pants or anything though...although wearing jeans on a plane sounds awful lol

5 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

Thanks for the response!

I wore jeans and sweaters for all social events. Didn’t wear leggings once all weekend. 

11 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I think so, I was planning on wearing dark jeans with a grey sweater and boots when I fly in. Probably not yoga pants or anything though...although wearing jeans on a plane sounds awful lol

Wear leggings/yoga pants/sweats on the plane and change into jeans either before you get off the plane or before you meet up with whomever is giving you a ride!

4 minutes ago, ImAFreudNot said:

Wear leggings/yoga pants/sweats on the plane and change into jeans either before you get off the plane or before you meet up with whomever is giving you a ride!

That is a genius idea. Especially since I'll be traveling for 6 - 7 hours! 

I know this might seem silly to ask, but I NEVER wear makeup. I don't really know how to do it and my skin is really sensitive to it. But is it kinda the norm or expected for women to wear makeup to things like this? I feel like in 2020 it shouldn't matter but I thought I would get your opinions?? 

28 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I have another question for folks about patterns. I love plaid and tweed, and while I wouldn't go for a tweed suit, what do you think about black slacks, a cream colored shirt, and a patterned blazer? I'm really leaning away from a plain jane black or navy suit. It just isn't my style. BUT I'm worried about being "too much". The blazer I love is a nice green color with black and cream. 

This was along the lines that I was thinking as well. I don't want to wear just a white button up with a black pantsuit, that's just not my style. Personally I love the idea of the patterned or colored blazer as long as it's obviously not hot pink or neon green. Go for it! 

2 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

I know this might seem silly to ask, but I NEVER wear makeup. I don't really know how to do it and my skin is really sensitive to it. But is it kinda the norm or expected for women to wear makeup to things like this? I feel like in 2020 it shouldn't matter but I thought I would get your opinions?? 

No, you definitely don’t need to wear makeup!! I did because I do sometimes for special events so I’m comfortable doing that but by no means do you need to. 

9 minutes ago, Psych1st said:

I don't think you would look "bad" at all for not wearing makeup. If anything, the basic expectations for the face area of applicants of any sex would be to look clean and awake (wash your face, slap on lotion/chapstick to avoid dry flakes, etc).

Edited by devpsych2020

4 minutes ago, devpsych2020 said:

I don't think you would look "bad" at all for not wearing makeup. If anything, the basic expectations for the face area of applicants of any sex would be to look clean and awake (wash your face, slap on lotion/chapstick to avoid dry flakes, etc).

I'm mostly concerned because my skin decided now would be a great time to breakout really badly and I don't know if I should try to cover up the acne or if it would even matter? Life happens man and sometimes adults get acne too.. haha

Just now, Psych1st said:

I'm mostly concerned because my skin decided now would be a great time to breakout really badly and I don't know if I should try to cover up the acne or if it would even matter? Life happens man and sometimes adults get acne too.. haha

I want to say it wouldn't (shouldn't) matter! And life definitely happens.

You could try a minimal makeup, just to spot-correct some. BUT I think it is unnecessary and would be the best to just go without makeup and be comfortable. Especially if you don't know a specific product that would not worsen your acne or are not familiar with setting the concealer/fixing it throughout the day.

Maybe look up some sleeping masks/sheet masks/moisturizers with tea tree oil, green tea, or cica. I find those to be the most effective with alleviating blemishes, acne, and other dermal inflammations.

4 minutes ago, sendhelp said:

Does anyone know what might be appropriate to wear to dinner at the faculty member's house with just the other few students he's interviewing? And for larger faculty and grad student dinners as well?

I have a dinner the first night of my interview session with the whole psych department and I was planning on wearing ankle length chinos and a nicer blouse with a sweater or blazer if I can find one I like. I'm actually driving 3 hours to this visiting day, so I wanted to be comfy in the car but also look nice enough for meeting the grad students when I get there and not have to change for dinner. 

For people looking at blazers, Old Navy seems to have a couple that are more affordable. I found this one that might be a little more flattering if you don't like traditional ones (like me) - open front and slightly cropped.

Also, for color: from talking with my POI, I think color is fine! Bright colors personally aren't my thing, so to be safe I would say go with colors you would see at a conference (in my experience, this is mainly jewel tones, but I've seen a lot more reds/burnt oranges/golden yellows recently). Main thing is make sure you're comfortable and professional, but let your personality show! You've all been selected because your application stands out in some way - don't be afraid to stand out as the amazing person you are at the interviews too! 

Best of luck to everyone! We're all gonna crush it!

4 hours ago, justacigar said:

I have to assume jeans of any kinds would be a solid no-no, regardless of concentration, same with t-shirts. I would still think you'd want to wear slacks of some kind and maybe  a sweater but more likely a dress shirt. 

Yeah I couldn't imagine wearing jeans, but for everything but clinical/counseling I've heard that business casual (leaning towards business formal) is perfectly ok! A grad student told me that you should wear conference appropriate clothes

I’ve seen discussions about facial piercings in other threads, but does anyone have any recommendations for ear piercings? I have several cartilage and lobe piercings and I would rather not remove them, but I’d be willing to if they come off as unprofessional.

2 hours ago, doingmybest said:

I’ve seen discussions about facial piercings in other threads, but does anyone have any recommendations for ear piercings? I have several cartilage and lobe piercings and I would rather not remove them, but I’d be willing to if they come off as unprofessional.

I am going to wear my nose ring and cartilage piercing but I think social psychology is a little more casual than clinical. 

7 hours ago, justacigar said:

I think that sounds like a beautiful combination and something I would personally wear. I think part of your personality should be able to show through as long as you look professional and it is flattering. 

https://youtu.be/vWohaZfuQRI

I really enjoyed this video. It gave me inspiration shopping for interview outfits! Some of these looks are a bit more casual, but I appreciate the different outfit ideas that can be done with a blazer. Many blazers + pant suits make me feel maternally so I appreciate this video for a more modern twist.

Does anyone know if clinical programs in Canada have different dress standards for interviews than American programs? I've basically seen that suits are standard for American programs, but I haven't heard anything about Canadian programs. 

8 hours ago, doingmybest said:

Clinical student here. I kept in all my earrings (I have my rook & tragus in addition to lobes) and my nose piercing. Someone in my cohort has ear gauges and she obviously kept them in for interviews. 

4 hours ago, hopefulgrad2019 said:

Clinical student here. I kept in all my earrings (I have my rook & tragus in addition to lobes) and my nose piercing. Someone in my cohort has ear gauges and she obviously kept them in for interviews. 

Yeah, I have gauges and feel like it would look worse to take them out lol. I also plan on having my hair down, so ears probably won't be a major focus! I'm surprised about keeping nose piercings in. I've always taken out facial piercings for job interviews and what not, but maybe I haven't needed to. I have my septum pierced now, though, which I will definitely be taking out haha

Yeah I second everyone suggesting to make sure the clothes fit right and comfortably before going. Last year I interviewed at once school (my undergrad) and my button up shirt kept popping open and (me being me) I don't wear tank tops or undershirts EVER so its just full frontal chest. There were a few times I had to walk/sit with my portfolio in front of my chest (which looks super awkward and uninviting) until I could get to the bathroom to button my blouse again ?