Interview Attire

StormySkye

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

Thank you both so much! There is an Old Navy in the mall near me so I'll check it out this weekend. I don't normally shop there but hopefully I can at least find some comfy pants! 

Old navy is an excellent option but I strongly recommend Torrid. It can be expensive but I find the clothes to be a good quality and last a long time. Also they always have some kind of buy one get one deal and they have a clearance section.  I also got clothes from Forever 21 ( if they have a plus section as most of their clothes are smaller) and Maurices (I’ve only seen this store in Michigan)

30 minutes ago, StudiestStudy said:

This may have already been discussed but how are girls wearing their hair? I prefer to wear mine down but I’ve been told that is not as professional looking. Plus my hair can get out of control after a long day. 

I'm definitely wearing mine down, I just don't like wearing it up and I have shorter hair so my my best other option would be a low ponytail (yikes). I'll probably straighten pieces that look too wavy in the morning and I'm definitely bringing a small brush with me in my bag. To look more professional you could always do something half-up or clip part of the front back with barrettes. 

Any advice about purses/portfolio? What size is appropriate?

And what is important to carry in your purse? I'm thinking headache/allergy pills, cellphone (on mute), my wallet, maybe a small umbrella (depending on the forecast), and pens. Should I also have copies of my resume and blank paper for notes?

Is a plastic portfolio fine, or should I get a fancier one (i.e. leather)?

I'm so nervous! 

28 minutes ago, psyapplicant said:

And what is important to carry in your purse? I'm thinking headache/allergy pills, cellphone (on mute), my wallet, maybe a small umbrella (depending on the forecast), and pens. Should I also have copies of my resume and blank paper for notes?

I'm so nervous! 

To be honest, I wouldn't stress the purse. No one is going to notice size as long as it's professional looking.

I'd also throw some food in there---granola bars or something. Gum maybe?

10 minutes ago, psyapplicant said:

I'm so nervous! 

I have a medium size purse that fits my water bottle and small leather document pouch in it. I found a great faux leather document holder at Target for 9 bucks!

I've also heard that bringing snacks might be good - a granola bar or some fruit or something like that. 

16 hours ago, sendhelp said:

Are ankle dress pants a no go then? I was planning on wearing black ankle pants with a white blouse and black blazer but now I am worried. My only full length pants option is a subtle plaid print - what do you guys think???

I think ankle dress pants are totally fine! The outfit you proposed sounds totally professional. 

22 hours ago, sendhelp said:

Are ankle dress pants a no go then? I was planning on wearing black ankle pants with a white blouse and black blazer but now I am worried. My only full length pants option is a subtle plaid print - what do you guys think???

I think for non-clinical programs that ankle length pants is totally fine, they are very much on trend right now, as long as they aren't some wild color, or inappropriately tight fitting.  Weather permitting, of course, if was touring a snowy site I would probably skip the bare ankles :)

Here's my advice from someone who also interviewed for clinical programs last year. Wear what makes you comfortable. ABSOLUTELY be professional in your dress, but show ankles if you want, or don't if you'd rather not. Wear maroon pants if you love color! If a PI rejects you because of an exposed ankle, you wouldn't wanna work with them anyway. 

17 minutes ago, penguinqueen said:

Here's my advice from someone who also interviewed for clinical programs last year. Wear what makes you comfortable. ABSOLUTELY be professional in your dress, but show ankles if you want, or don't if you'd rather not. Wear maroon pants if you love color! If a PI rejects you because of an exposed ankle, you wouldn't wanna work with them anyway. 

Agreed. As long as the attire is professional, it is fine. Ankle pants are still professional, but the material/cut impact how professional they are. It's definitely OK to show some personality, but it's also a double-edged sword. If someone walks in with a lime green blazer, the thought may be "ohhh they are showing who they are!" Or it may be "....does this person have issues with social norms? What other behavioral red flags can we find?" The interview is often times to do a personality check. You already look good on paper, so a big part of the interview is "would we want to work with this person for the next 5-7 years?" Giving room for doubt in that arena is sometimes a deciding factor in the "safe choice" and the "risky choice."

On 1/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, psyapplicant said:

I'm so nervous! 

DEFINITELY bring copies of your CV and something to take notes. I cannot tell you how helpful it is as a grad student who interviews prospective students when people bring their CV, as my PI makes it a point to not tell us much at all (beyond 1 paragraph) about applicants, so we are completely unbiased in our impressions going into the interview day. 

Having your CV (at least 1-2 copies -- I always give it back) is helpful so I can ask some questions about your past experiences and answer questions you may have about how our school may be the best fit (or not) for your future goals. 

Sorry if this is a dumb question haha (first-time interview-goer here!), but where exactly do people put their padfolios/document holders? Do they carry them around all the time, or do most people bring purses large enough to fit them? Is it weird to carry both a padfolio and a small purse? Also, for non-clinical interviews, is it expected that everyone has their own document holder going in?

On 1/13/2020 at 11:45 PM, justacigar said:

Alright ladies, I am having a super tough time finding a suit/blazer and pants. It's starting to stress me out. Any advice for places to shop for curvier bods? 

Hey! I’m not sure if you’ve gotten this response yet or not, but I was able to find 2 amazing blazers from Torrid (in-store). They are sometimes pricier but they are good quality and very flattering for someone with a curvier figure like myself. As for pants, I look ridiculous in traditional slacks, so I found some black pants cuffed at my ankles from Maurices on clearance for $7! I hope this helps! Message me if you have any questions! :) 

On 1/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, Ginger0211 said:

Thank you for the great advice! This Texas girl is headed to Michigan for her first interview next week and I think I am more nervous about the cold than the interview itself ? My plan is to layer and hope I adapt! 

West MI native here and I definitely agree with layers! The weather can be so hit or miss, so it is important to be able to shed or gain some layers. Best of luck! 

On 1/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, Ginger0211 said:

Thank you for the great advice! This Texas girl is headed to Michigan for her first interview next week and I think I am more nervous about the cold than the interview itself ? My plan is to layer and hope I adapt! 

2 hours ago, MnMz98 said:

West MI native here and I definitely agree with layers! The weather can be so hit or miss, so it is important to be able to shed or gain some layers. Best of luck! 

I am also from West MI and it is suppose to be a cold (mid to upper 20s) and snowy weekend so make sure you come prepared for that. I am not sure how bad it will be through out the entire state but where I live is suppose to be getting 5-8 inches on Friday night. I moved to Michigan from Texas so it can be quite the adjustment. Layers are important but remember whatever you wear in you will have to take off and then put back on every time you go outside. Make sure you bring warm, water proof shoes!

So I dyed my hair purple last semester for fun while I had a few months where I could. Over Christmas break I dyed my hair brown but you can kinda see a tint of the purple again. Should I dyed my hair again?? Does a tint matter? I don't know if they'd even notice. 

6 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Those of you who recommended Torrid for dress pants, ILY. Found a killer pair of great fitting ankle slacks and they were ON SALE for $20!! Win!

Yay! Sale prices for the win! You're gonna look confident and amazing :)

13 hours ago, justacigar said:

Those of you who recommended Torrid for dress pants, ILY. Found a killer pair of great fitting ankle slacks and they were ON SALE for $20!! Win!

YAAAAAS Torrid is amazing!!!!! You're going to rock this interview!!! :) Good luck!!!

Hi everyone! I apologize if this was already posted, but I wanted to ask about hairstyles-- I have long, thick curly hair which is usually the biggest pain for keeping under control ?. I have an 8am-4pm interview in a few weeks. I'm expecting to be indoors and outdoors for this (usually with a campus tour) and I know if I wear my hair down, it'll be a nightmare halfway through the day. Would a lower ponytail be appropriate? I can't do a tight bun because 1) my hair slowly falls throughout the day, and 2) my round face and a bun makes me look like an onion. So this was my best option. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks! :)

1 minute ago, webbz_world93 said:

Hi everyone! I apologize if this was already posted, but I wanted to ask about hairstyles-- I have long, thick curly hair which is usually the biggest pain for keeping under control ?. I have an 8am-4pm interview in a few weeks. I'm expecting to be indoors and outdoors for this (usually with a campus tour) and I know if I wear my hair down, it'll be a nightmare halfway through the day. Would a lower ponytail be appropriate? I can't do a tight bun because 1) my hair slowly falls throughout the day, and 2) my round face and a bun makes me look like an onion. So this was my best option. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks! :)

As long as you look neat and professional, no one will pay attention to your specific hairstyle. Do what makes you comfortable and works for your hair. 

13 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

As long as you look neat and professional, no one will pay attention to your specific hairstyle. Do what makes you comfortable and works for your hair. 

Thank you so much! This is really helpful. I wasn't sure if it was a big deal or not, so that's good to know!

13 hours ago, impicklerick said:

So I know what I am wearing for the interviews but what about socials/dinners after the interviews? Should I change or just wear the same thing? Or does it even matter lol?

Is the social immediately following the interview? Then you just wear the same thing. If there's time in between, I think you should feel free the wear what you wore to your interview, or something more business casual (I'd avoid jeans). 

And unrelate but re: suits- Brooks Brothers is having a massive sale rn. Yes, it's expensive, but if you're looking to invest in a nice suit, they have some great deals.