Applying to NPSIA - MUNK - Fall 2020

Just now, theGoodGhosts said:

Is that on Carleton360, or in Carleton Central? Mine still says "Preliminary Review Required" on Carleton360, but when I go into Carleton Central, it shows "review in progress by department"

That thought just crossed my mind. I am at the recommended for assessment hell with the other. Thanks @theGoodGhosts

9 hours ago, irnerd said:

I think it really depends what you want out of the program. The MGA is incredibly expensive with very limited financial support, however u of t is the best school in the country by far and there is a lot of name recognition. the professors at u of t are leading experts  and i think the program also provides more flexibility in terms of whether you want to work in the private or public sector (I know several MGAs working in Ottawa as well as many others at deloitte, consulting agencies and so forth).

Having also attend u of t, I found there are a lot of academic enrichment opportunities too (fully funded research trips,  conferences with prominent scholars, etc). 

I think for public sector orientated people, npsia still slightly ends ahead of gpsia (although gpsia seems to have a fantastic internship/Co op program). And it's also obviously better than u of t in this respect too

I guess the one down side of npsia/gpsia though is also it's strength - it's more suited for people who want to work in the government. Happy to answer any more questions ? if money wasn't an issue for me I think the MGA wouldve been very appealing 

Wow thank you for the great insight! I think my biggest concern has been the return of investment! Investing to attend MGA (if i get in) would be costly, but the name probably carries quite a bit of international merit. However, it only offers a 4 month internship program, so idk how that would effect life for me after when looking for future employment. Are your friends employed after completing the MGA program? If so, are they leaning more into the private sector or public?  

45 minutes ago, ElleG said:

Also they are already  sending acceptences to NPSIA and mine is still stuck in "Preliminary review required" even thoughI submitted everything before Jan31. Anyone in the same boat?

ElleG don't worry. I submitted my application in December and I am still 'recommended for assessment'. Clearly they have started reviewing some applications but I don't think there is any specific order. Our time will come soon!

5 minutes ago, ZiggyZiggyZiggy said:

I'm a bit confused. Does the process go from "review in progress" to "recommended for assessment" and then back to "review in progress"? 

Seems like it. At least, that's been the trajectory for a number of us so far.

17 minutes ago, ZiggyZiggyZiggy said:

I'm a bit confused. Does the process go from "review in progress" to "recommended for assessment" and then back to "review in progress"? 

I think the Carleton Central system is all messed up which is consistent with what people in past forums have said. I went from preliminary review in progress, to recommended for assessment, then on to review in progress by department. According to the link below that order is backwards, despite being the normal trajectory for people in past forums. All told, I wouldn't sweat it.

https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/

I got accepted to another program at Carleton (MA Legal Studies) so maybe I can share that experience with you guys. I was moved from Recommended for Assessment to Review in Progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs then the next day I got the acceptance email and it was updated on Carleton Central. Which has made me confused about all you guys going back to review in progress by department, I'm still at recommended for assessment. 

@schneebz You're right. Looking back, the two "review" stages were phrased differently. I definitely conflated the two, hence the confusion of being "back to the review stage"

@MA_more_like_no_way Okay, so your other application followed the stages listed on Carleton's application status info page (https://graduate.carleton.ca/application-status/). Weird!

Edited by theGoodGhosts
Edited for clarification

2 minutes ago, martlets said:

also received an unofficial offer, which i expected after the email i received from the program director yesterday (still not sure why I got one?)

anyone else is getting funding? excited to get the official offer and funding package!

The e-mail offer said I was getting funding but no mention of TA or RA-ship! Need that official offer!!!

Edited by schneebz

16 minutes ago, martlets said:

also received an unofficial offer, which i expected after the email i received from the program director yesterday (still not sure why I got one?)

anyone else is getting funding? excited to get the official offer and funding package!

One of the NPSIA profs told me a couple months ago that pretty much everyone accepted in the first round gets some amount of funding. But yeah, also looking forward to the official offer with the funding package.

12 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

Dang - nothing yet. To those who are accepted, did you status move back to in review first? Mines still at Recommended for Assessment. . 

Yeah, I think we all went through the stages @schneebz laid out up above:  preliminary review in progress > recommended for assessment > review in progress by department.

Edited by theGoodGhosts
Proven wrong, below