Feel like I'm going Crazy

thetruewalkingwoman

Hello to fellow applicants!

Any one else feel like they are going absolutely insane waiting? I know that there is nothing left for me to do but sit it out and hope that I'm accepted somewhere. But goodness, I just feel like I'm going nuts. I feel nauseous 90% of the time. Can't sleep. 

Anyone else?

FYI: I've applied to 13 literature programs for Ph.D. studies.

I'm absolutely with you.   I'm bouncing back and forth between extreme panic and losing the will to live.  There's no real "decision dates" for my field so it's just this long, drawn out hell of uncertainty.

Yup, feel you. I applied to eight PhDs in history and haven't heard back from anything but I've slowly started to see people get interviews on the results page which is torture. None of my programs/my field doesn't really have a set deadline so it's just waiting until they decide to tell me it's over. 

Same. Notification dates range over a month or two, would be so much easier if they would just say what date their decisions are going to be made. Got an acceptance (unexpectedly early) this week, but am not as confident about remaining programs. 

Edited by mediajinx
typo

Same here, I feel like I'm losing my mind. (Applied to 9 history PhD.) This is my second round and the first time around getting a spate of rejections really stung, it's almost worse going in now with that experience. Checking the Grad Cafe results page probably isn't helpful either...

On 1/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, thetruewalkingwoman said:

Hello to fellow applicants!

Any one else feel like they are going absolutely insane waiting? I know that there is nothing left for me to do but sit it out and hope that I'm accepted somewhere. But goodness, I just feel like I'm going nuts. I feel nauseous 90% of the time. Can't sleep. 

Anyone else?

FYI: I've applied to 13 literature programs for Ph.D. studies.

110%! I'm so anxious about how long it's taking to hear anything! I applied to 8 different programs and only 1 has sent out interview e-mails. 

I spend all my spare time lurking these sites for an update. When I wake up in the morning and check my email, my heart nearly stops as I wait for my new emails to load. I can't do this for another month?

5 hours ago, WanYesOnly said:

I spend all my spare time lurking these sites for an update. When I wake up in the morning and check my email, my heart nearly stops as I wait for my new emails to load. I can't do this for another month?

Every time my phone buzzes my heart stops for a second. 

I wouldn't say no to a group chat.  Knowing that there are others out there who are going through extremely similar situations is comforting in a way, we can commiserate about wanting to throw our phones every time we get a junk email or spam call.  ?

I can't stop checking gradcafe and my email obsessively every few hours. 

I don't know why I torture myself like this. Comparing myself with others getting decisions doesn't make my application get considered faster or anything...

I'm literally giving myself anxiety. 

Ditto on the checking my email the first thing I wake up, crusty eyes and all...

8 hours ago, masthana said:

I can't stop checking gradcafe and my email obsessively every few hours. 

I don't know why I torture myself like this. Comparing myself with others getting decisions doesn't make my application get considered faster or anything...

I'm literally giving myself anxiety. 

Ditto on the checking my email the first thing I wake up, crusty eyes and all...

Same. Oh hey! I'm from the Bay Area too and also an Anthropology student! ? I moved to Arizona exactly a year ago though and have applied to ASU and UofA.

I've been going insane checking my e-mail, university portals, every time my phone rings my heart immediately starts to race, and it's all I think about. At least I'll know about one decision soon since ASU is supposed to send out admission decisions next week (per an e-mail last month from the graduate coordinator). Which is exciting, but at the same time, if I am rejected, I will be absolutely crushed.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, LadyWolfshadow said:

I wouldn't say no to a group chat.  Knowing that there are others out there who are going through extremely similar situations is comforting in a way, we can commiserate about wanting to throw our phones every time we get a junk email or spam call.  ?

On 1/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, marthajones said:

yesss

Y’all who want a group chat. Message me your # and we can get get something going!