2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

1 hour ago, NeurototheT said:

Hi! 

Super SUPER nervouse PhD applicant here. I only applied to one PhD program due to some issues/self-doubt. 

I am very nervous about receiving an interview. My GPA is terrible (GREAT GREAT resume, over 400 hours of research), but I really SHINE in the interview portion. 

Interview decisions come out at the end of this month and february, wish me luck please?

Good luck! I also have a terrible GPA and had confidence issues while applying but I went in the opposite direction and applied to 18 schools. You'd be surprised how many places are willing to overlook a bad GPA as long as the rest of your resume is good! I'm sure you'll hear good news soon!

I'm new to gradcafe, sorry for being late to the party.

I am a current CRC at a hospital in NYC and have applied to 5 Neuroscience PhD programs (first time applying): 

Mount Sinai, NYU, Albert Einstein, Weill Cornell, WashU in St. Louis, Columbia

I have interviews at Mount Sinai & Cornell (so excited). Rejected thus far from WUSTL and haven't heard back from the others. I'm thinking NYU & Columbia is out but who knows! lmk if you wanna connect, i'm rather friendly and love talking science

Hey all! Has anyone heard from Carnegie Mellon who applied to the Neural Computation program? It doesn't appear so on the results page and throughout this thread, but just thought I would ask?

Also, for Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior, does anyone know of an update of whether or not they are done sending out invites? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, neurolingr said:

Hey all! Has anyone heard from Carnegie Mellon who applied to the Neural Computation program? It doesn't appear so on the results page and throughout this thread, but just thought I would ask?

Also, for Columbia Neurobiology and Behavior, does anyone know of an update of whether or not they are done sending out invites? Thanks!

I can't say for certain if they are done or not, but I got my invitation via email on December 24th. Hope that helps! 

Hello guys I'm Korean (of course South) future neuroscientist. I graduated my local top 5 Univ. and have a 3yr research experience in one of national science institution. 

I just got an interview offer from UMass Neuro. I guess international interview offers are kinda late this year. Lets wait for more interview letters.

Good luck for  both domestic and international applicants.

Edited by Sonnny

Hi all! ❤️ hope everyone is doing well, wishing you all peace of mind. Yesterday I received an interview invitation from Vanderbilt-I had read they had sent out interview invitations before Christmas, so wasn't expecting to be contacted positively from this school. This is just to say, stay hopeful!! Some schools really may be reviewing applications and contacting on a somewhat rolling basis ?

This thread has been really helpful to read as a fellow applicant. I appreciate all of you and am rooting for ya

UCSF (r) UNC Chapel Hill (i) Emory (i) Tulane (i) Vanderbilt (i) UCLA (?) UC Berkeley (?) Columbia (?) Georgetown/NIH (?)

Edited by stinker-in-training

19 hours ago, 4sdch said:

I signed up for the SNAAP program that was also advertised on this forum. I met with a PhD grad student that gave me some tips on what things I could work on. One thing she suggested is important to have is to have a good 20-30 second elevator pitch that you can use to explain a little of your background (where you graduated from, majors, RESEARCH). She said to practice outloud, which will allow you to be comfortable talking about your research. I'm also meeting with another PhD student for her advice and will ask the PI that I work for to meet also to discuss. If you don't have neuroscience research per se that is fine, just shift the focus on something else but that shows that you have initiative and also what brought your passion to learn about neuroscience (taking a class, going to a summer internship, etc).

I will also try to do at least one mock interview. 

4sdch, thank you for sharing this! I hope SNAAP still does what it does. I signed for the interview. I already had one preliminary talk with a professor from a program, and I remember I was thinking, "it is so good that I have a detailed answer to the question "why you chose our university and my lab in particular." I think it is crucial to indicate some important distinguishable features of the program and the university. That question, I think,  will be asked everywhere.

I have done a lot of research in Psychology and Behavior. Also, I did summer volunteering, and I have 1,5 years of research in the neuroscience lab. My problem is to arrange them logically and tell only essential details.

19 hours ago, miacara13 said:

I'm new to gradcafe, sorry for being late to the party.

I am a current CRC at a hospital in NYC and have applied to 5 Neuroscience PhD programs (first time applying): 

Mount Sinai, NYU, Albert Einstein, Weill Cornell, Wash U in St. Louis, Columbia

I have interviews at Mount Sinai & Cornell (so excited). Rejected thus far from Wash U and haven't heard back from the others. I'm thinking NYU & Columbia is out but who knows! lmk if you wanna connect, i'm rather friendly and love talking science

Hey, I also have interviews at Sinai and Weill Cornell, and applied to Einstein but have not heard back (I also work there). If you want to DM me, I'd love to connect and know a bit more about your research interests/POIs!  

Congrats on your interviews!

1 hour ago, neurocookiemonster said:

Hi! I received interview invitation from Einstein 12/30 if that's helpful!

Hey! Do you know the date when you submitted your AECOM app?  I am wondering what the rolling basis for interviews will mean for me as I have not heard back yet.  Thank you and congrats on the interview!!

On 1/11/2021 at 4:11 AM, Just_Alice said:

My last year's research advisor almost broke my heart by refusing to give me a reference, intimating me that I got my hopes too high and he would not support my applications. To be fair, I was not the only one he treated this way; he is quite a complicated person. But I did my best and always did everything I was asked, he graded me with A- on my term thesis which is a good grade to receive from him. I thought we had a good relationship, and then he treated me this way. And I know that even those professors who agreed to support me probably made a face at me inside. My family, obviously, also does not support me in this... Well.. I am even afraid that if I do not go anywhere this year, I may not be able to get myself together next year to apply. And my program actually has cases of alumni getting into Ivies.

I can only imagine what you must have gone through, I do not know your particular situation, so I am sorry if I am wrong. But I still think that the fact that you have applied and have put so much effort into this shows that you are a brave and strong person and you will succeed in whatever you choose one way or another. 

Hey Just_Alice, so sad to hear that you had to go through that painful situation, if you'll ever need a place to rant about that person (or anything in general), you're always welcome in my DMs. If you have to go through the application cycle again next year, look up "Project SHORT" - it's mostly ivy league students helping those in need craft their applications and do the mock interviews. Also if you want to message me and I'll share any tips and trick that I've learned over this fall (both the season and the fact that universities rejected me)

Anyway, let me know if I can be any kind of help! 

25 minutes ago, iLikeBrainz said:

Hey! Do you know the date when you submitted your AECOM app?  I am wondering what the rolling basis for interviews will mean for me as I have not heard back yet.  Thank you and congrats on the interview!!

I submitted my part of the app around October 18th and all of my recs were in around November 15th, so a bit on the earlier side. And thank you!

Just now, neurocookiemonster said:

I submitted my part of the app around October 18th and all of my recs were in around November 15th, so a bit on the earlier side. And thank you!

Thank you so much for the response! That makes me feel a lot better because I was definitely on the later side with both app and LORs. 

25 minutes ago, miacara13 said:

Not yet ! Wondering when those would come out

Apparently they already sent some invitations. I did apply pretty late though (2 days before the deadline). I also applied pretty late for Weill Cornell (1 day before the deadline) and they sent me an interview invite not too long after. 

Just now, davidoff05 said:

Apparently they already sent some invitations. I did apply pretty late though (2 days before the deadline). I also applied pretty late for Weill Cornell (1 day before the deadline) and they sent me an interview invite not too long after. 

I am in a similar situation, pretty sure that AECOM is looking at applications on a rolling basis whereas Cornell was not (but idrk).

5 minutes ago, iLikeBrainz said:

I am in a similar situation, pretty sure that AECOM is looking at applications on a rolling basis whereas Cornell was not (but idrk).

Yea I am thinking the same thing. btw good luck on that Weill Cornell interview! I am super excited for mine. if you don't mind me asking, what sort of research are you looking to get into?

Just now, davidoff05 said:

Yea I am thinking the same thing. btw good luck on that Weill Cornell interview! I am super excited for mine. if you don't mind me asking, what sort of research are you looking to get into?

Sending you a DM :)

3 hours ago, davidoff05 said:

Anyone heard from Albert Einstein Graduate program in the biomedical sciences?

Einstein sent me an invitation to interview last week — in the email, they said that interview dates are being offered "on a rolling basis." Not really sure what their process is for reviewing applications, but I submitted mine two days before the deadline. My guess is that they're still sending out invites since their interviews aren't until late February!

4 hours ago, Mike_AB said:

4sdch, thank you for sharing this! I hope SNAAP still does what it does. I signed for the interview. I already had one preliminary talk with a professor from a program, and I remember I was thinking, "it is so good that I have a detailed answer to the question "why you chose our university and my lab in particular." I think it is crucial to indicate some important distinguishable features of the program and the university. That question, I think,  will be asked everywhere.

I have done a lot of research in Psychology and Behavior. Also, I did summer volunteering, and I have 1,5 years of research in the neuroscience lab. My problem is to arrange them logically and tell only essential details.

I applied to SNAAP and I was assigned to a mentor to help me with interviews.

It is a bit confusing as I still did not receive an invitation for interview from Stanford. 

3 minutes ago, SalamNeuro said:

I applied to SNAAP and I was assigned to a mentor to help me with interviews.

It is a bit confusing as I still did not receive an invitation for interview from Stanford. 

iirc SNAAP was open to anyone applying for PhD programs in neuro this cycle, not just at Stanford/if you got an interview at Stanford!

On 12/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, loci_thepoki said:

Has anyone heard back from boulder yet? Specifically for behavioral neuroscience

I haven't heard back either. On the admission page it says applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews will be completed in early December. Anyone else hear anything about CU-Boulder Behavioral Neuroscience?