2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

On 1/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, anxiousinneuro said:

Any idea what's happening with these schools? I still haven't heard about an interview or a rejection...

• UPenn (maybe still sending invites?)
  • Columbia
  • JHU
  • NYU
  • Boston University

BU GPN is notoriously late every year, end of January/early Feb, so don't expect it anytime soon. Info from me working at BU for like 3yrs lol

JHU Neuro I believe already went out, JHU Psychological & Brain Sciences as well (I got an interview for the latter)

1 hour ago, hopefulgrad123 said:

I haven't heard back either. On the admission page it says applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews will be completed in early December. Anyone else hear anything about CU-Boulder Behavioral Neuroscience?

I applied to Boulder behavior neuro as well and haven't heard a thing. I have only seen 2 posts for prelims

49 minutes ago, iLikeBrainz said:

For the Mount Sinai interview: Can anyone tell me how we are supposed to get to the "scheduling system"?  The link in the email just takes me to my application page. 

I came here for the same reason - looks like they just fixed it, now there is an interview tab under PHD BSR when you go to that link

1 hour ago, brain_guy said:

It seems like a lot of people on here just searched "US News and Report top Neuroscience PhDs" and applied to the first ten schools they saw ? very few people get into these programs, I would suggest applying to some lesser known schools that still have great research programs as well!

Thats why I applied to the University of Iowa?

On 1/11/2021 at 9:04 AM, lowestprime said:

UCLA neuroscience response 1/11/21 9:00 AM:

"Thank you for your email and for your application! Currently applications are still be reviewed for the NSIDP program. We will contact you directly with any updates regarding your application and status."

I emailed UCLA neuroscience admissions on 1/11/21 and they replied with this message.

1 minute ago, canigetuhhhhhhhanswerpls said:

huh so late. Thank you! 

I believe they received 1.5-2x the typical number of applicants this cycle. Don't quote me on that, but I have definitely heard this is the case for other UCLA graduate departments and for neuroscience graduate programs at other universities this year.

16 minutes ago, brain_guy said:

Minnesota, Michigan, Oregon, UT schools, Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Dartmouth, most importantly find a PI that is doing research you like!

Agreed! When looking for grad schools, the focus should be on finding researchers that match your interests. At the end of it all, the research skills & techniques that you learned as a grad student are going to be much more important than where you went to school.

4 hours ago, brain_guy said:

It seems like a lot of people on here just searched "US News and Report top Neuroscience PhDs" and applied to the first ten schools they saw ? very few people get into these programs, I would suggest applying to some lesser known schools that still have great research programs as well!

yeah I did not do that at all and sometimes I wonder if maybe I should have applied to a few of those ?

On 1/12/2021 at 1:36 PM, hopefulgrad123 said:

I haven't heard back either. On the admission page it says applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews will be completed in early December. Anyone else hear anything about CU-Boulder Behavioral Neuroscience?

I got an email from a PI last Tuesday to schedule a brief Zoom call, which we had on Friday. He told me that they were contacting about 20 applicants for this preliminary interview, and would eliminate some before sending invites to the full interview weekend. The ~20 pre-interviews were divided among all the admitting faculty. I have a feeling most or all of those would have been contacted last week, but I'm not positive.

1 minute ago, akl97 said:

I got an email from a PI last Tuesday to schedule a brief Zoom call, which we had on Friday. He told me that they were contacting about 20 applicants for this preliminary interview, and would eliminate some before sending invites to the full interview weekend. The ~20 pre-interviews were divided among all the admitting faculty. I have a feeling most or all of those would have been contacted last week, but I'm not positive.

Based on that, I also feel like most would have been contacted at this point. I guess I'll just be waiting to be pulled off the waitlist or denied at this point. Thanks! 

On 1/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, actionpotential said:

Why would you not get accepted with 2 interviews? I also have 2, and I have high hopes of being accepted!

Honestly I was feeling pretty good until I told my family and they seemed a bit disappointed. But you're right, I still have a shot so I'll keep it positive :)