2021 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neuroticneuro6

2 minutes ago, neuro_boy said:

From the email: "The sessions will take place on two consecutive days on 2/8/2021 - 2/9/2021 or 2/11/2021 - 2/12/2021, depending on the availability of the interviewing faculty."

Thanks!! Did it seem like a mass email?

5 minutes ago, Prefrontalvortex said:

Yale sent an email to all interviewees of the BBS program and forgot to hide the recipient emails (whoops, LOL). It was sent out to 300 people, and since there’s 8 tracks I assume about 38 people per track received invites. Wanted to share because I was asked before how many invites they were sending out! 

Lol glad I’m not the only one who took the time to count literally every email address in the recipient list ?

Hello everyone! ik I've seen some stuff going out for the following schools, but I was wondering if anyone has heard directly from the programs. one of my friends is applying this cycle too and I told her I'd check on these schools.

has anyone heard from the neuro programs at OHSU, Scripps, and UCSD? interviews, rejects, or news from the schools?

1 minute ago, neurokenzie said:

Hello everyone! ik I've seen some stuff going out for the following schools, but I was wondering if anyone has heard directly from the programs. one of my friends is applying this cycle too and I told her I'd check on these schools.

has anyone heard from the neuro programs at OHSU, Scripps, and UCSD? interviews, rejects, or news from the schools?

I think UCSD Neuro interviews went out sometime during the holiday break, but not rejections have come out yet

2 hours ago, neuro_boy said:

The email did include my name, but bulk of it seemed generic. I was also a little thrown off since I applied for the PhD in Neuroscience Program, but in the email they thanked me for my interest in the PhD in Biomedical Sciences Program. 

Congrats! Seems thats over for me, not a single invitation. Seeing your profile you got a lot of interviews, could you share with us your background?

1 hour ago, neurokenzie said:

I got an interview invitation from UCSD. The email was sent on Dec 28th.

2 hours ago, OldFire Mamba said:

Congrats! Seems thats over for me, not a single invitation. Seeing your profile you got a lot of interviews, could you share with us your background?

Sure! So I'm an American student in my fourth year at a liberal arts college (GPA ~3.75). I've done three years of research during undergrad & summers, and I have one mid-author publication. 

I'm sorry that this application cycle has been tough for you, but I'm sure that if you take another year or two to gain more research experience you'll be a stronger applicant the next time around! Wishing you the best of luck!!

6 minutes ago, neuro_boy said:

Sure! So I'm an American student in my fourth year at a liberal arts college (GPA ~3.75). I've done three years of research during undergrad & summers, and I have one mid-author publication. 

I'm sorry that this application cycle has been tough for you, but I'm sure that if you take another year or two to gain more research experience you'll be a stronger applicant the next time around! Wishing you the best of luck!!

Well that's the problem, I already have my bachelor in biology (3.57) and a MS in biochemical sciences (3.93) and have +5 years in research with two publications in preparation both in high impact journals and as first author, my "deficiency" is I'm an international applicant. I guess I'll just start the phd in my own country or just quit science and work as a teacher full time. Thanks and good luck in your phd

19 minutes ago, OldFire Mamba said:

Well that's the problem, I already have my bachelor in biology (3.57) and a MS in biochemical sciences (3.93) and have +5 years in research with two publications in preparation both in high impact journals and as first author, my "deficiency" is I'm an international applicant. I guess I'll just start the phd in my own country or just quit science and work as a teacher full time. Thanks and good luck in your phd

Aww man, that's really rough ? 

I wish you happiness with whatever you choose to do moving forward, whether that be sticking with research, working as a teacher, or trying something else!

About Sinai: I did not get an interview invite and I did not get a rejection either (I am an international applicant). Do you think all the invites have already been sent out? Is it possible that they will send invites to international applicants later?

1 hour ago, OldFire Mamba said:

International student here too so I hear your. I've also seen international students (that aren't me :( but also my stats aren't as high) be pretty successful despite not having stats as high as yours. A prof once gave a friend who is also applying to PhDs advice explaining not to take rejections personally because sometimes ppl with great stats aren't accepted because of poor fit or lack of funding. I hope you're able to find something in your country or in America.