Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, Psych1023 said:

I saw on the results page that 1 person got an email from HPCS at CUNY. Did anyone else? Trying to figure out if it was a mass email or if I still have a chance of getting an interview. This waiting thing sucks!! 

Haven't heard anything from HPCS either. If I see several interviews (n>2) posted on the results list and a week follows without hearing from them, I will assume I'm out.

16 hours ago, K3lD1Psych said:

I fully agree with everything you said! I have never posted there and didn't even know how until like yesterday (apparently the button is way at the bottom), so I didn't know what options were included in the results survey form thing. I edited my response to include they put the link too and how I found it helpful for people but didn't get the chance to add it before you quote-replied. I didn't even see that you included it in your response too. ?  Ooooohh also editing to add for some reason I was under the impression that they used caps so that people saw it. I didn't even see the post until it was caps. I tend to ignore or brush over lots of text on the results page when it is not my school. 

Just chiming in to let everyone know that I was not using caps to yell at anyone. Even if, yes, I was frustrated, I meant to use caps to make the post visible. And thank you for calling out the ableism in the persons response to me. As someone with a learning disability, I was not thrilled to see that response. I tried to be helpful and include the link to the forum, but apparently it doesn't matter because the person refuses to stop after repeated requests from users. Thank you for the support, and best of luck to you in the application process!

2 hours ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

I'm not sure if anybody has posted about this yet, but the FAQ on their website says they will be contacting people in February! Looks like their interview day is in March so there's a while to wait still.

Thank you so much! 

1 hour ago, K3lD1Psych said:

Exactly my thoughts. At least getting frustrated is understandable. Not everyone can just “not let” something stress them out. I’m not saying I agree with everything, but I really don’t think this person posting to stop clogging the results came from a bad place. They’re stressed too. We’re stressed. Everyone’s stressed and I’m not ok with seeing this person get attacked and invalidated over it.

I don’t see how this person‘s response is “worse” in terms of stress management compared to people who are constantly, constantly posting on the board asking questions because they’re stressed too.

The responses telling them that they can’t handle grad school over a.. results survey post? Yikes. Maybe don’t feed into potential imposter syndrome or try to break someone down about their dream before it even starts. I’m way more disturbed by the invalidating responses from prospective psychologists that this person is receiving than I am by them saying to stop using the results as a conversation board. I just feel like I would respond totally differently to someone stressed.

Idk but if the person who posted on the results sees this please remember that person is wrong. Posting in caps on a results page absolutely has no bearing on whether you will succeed in graduate school. Keep your head up and hope this helps. I understand the stress and where the desire came from to tell people to stop clogging it up.

Once again, thank you. It was encouraging to read this. I wish you the best of luck.

3 minutes ago, clinical_sike said:

Just chiming in to let everyone know that I was not using caps to yell at anyone. Even if, yes, I was frustrated, I meant to use caps to make the post visible. And thank you for calling out the ableism in the persons response to me. As someone with a learning disability, I was not thrilled to see that response. I tried to be helpful and include the link to the forum, but apparently it doesn't matter because the person refuses to stop after repeated requests from users. Thank you for the support, and best of luck to you in the application process!

You don’t have to justify yourself or your response to anyone, especially not to strangers on the internet. Some people just like to be keyboard warriors. They can kick rocks. We’re all stressed together and wish you the best of luck! 

4 minutes ago, expensiveswimmer said:

Me too ?

5 minutes ago, Maybe2021 said:

Me neither. This one hit me hard- it was one of my top choices :( 

Yup- another one bites the dust. I guess the amount of posts on here just goes to show that they must have received an insane amount of apps, but that doesn't make it sting any less. Really struggling now that over half my programs have rejected me without an interview- I knew this would be a grueling process but damn it's been getting me down! I'd like to think I'm a competitive applicant, and it sucks that I feel as though I've been burning the candle at both ends in an RA job for years post-undergrad to not even be considered seriously as an applicant... at least we're all in this together ?

2 minutes ago, shutupsigmundfreud said:

Yup- another one bites the dust. I guess the amount of posts on here just goes to show that they must have received an insane amount of apps, but that doesn't make it sting any less. Really struggling now that over half my programs have rejected me without an interview- I knew this would be a grueling process but damn it's been getting me down! I'd like to think I'm a competitive applicant, and it sucks that I feel as though I've been burning the candle at both ends in an RA job for years post-undergrad to not even be considered seriously as an applicant... at least we're all in this together ?

Hang in there! All the hard work will pay off eventually! 

Curious to hear what your guys' approaches were to discussing your post-PhD career plans in your statements? I was fairly open about the fact that I wanted to be involved in both research and practice, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have kept my cards closer to my chest. We all hear about programs that might look down on applicants that aren't entirely academia-focused in the long run. Given how sucky this cycle has been, it's easy to wonder if this might be one of the factors that could have worked against me. ?

One thing that always helps me deal with these painful setbacks is to stay focused on the big picture/long-term path. I always tell myself and others "In the grand scheme of things, will this matter in, say, 5, 10, or 15 years?". Probably not if you think about it. I'm going to take the rest of the day off to process this and try to relax. Tomorrow is a new day that will hopefully bring us other opportunities!

Just now, EileanDonan said:

Curious to hear what your guys' approaches were to discussing your post-PhD career plans in your statements? I was fairly open about the fact that I wanted to be involved in both research and practice, but I'm starting to wonder if I should have kept my cards closer to my chest. We all hear about programs that might look down on applicants that aren't entirely academia-focused in the long run. Given how sucky this cycle has been, it's easy to wonder if this might be one of the factors that could have worked against me. ?

I mentioned in my statements I wanted to be a researcher, clinician, and scholar (academic). I think a lot of professors, or at least the ones I applied to, also do all three. It's important to me that I leave grad school prepared to wear multiple hats so I don't think there is anything wrong with being honest about that.