Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

6 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Does anyone have any experience reaching out to POI's for rejection feedback? I've read some conflicting advice as to how helpful that can be. Is it better to try contacting admissions first? Should you only reach out to those PI's you officially interviewed with, or is prelim contact enough? Better/worse idea if you plan on reapplying to the same POI next cycle? Also, is there an ideal time to wait before reaching out?

I've had great luck asking for feedback from PIs! The worst that can happen is they say no/don't reply. I'd been reaching out fairly soon either after interviews went out or soon after acceptances went out. I've gotten fabulous direction from PIs and it made me feel much more competent as an applicant. 

22 hours ago, bubbles27 said:

I've heard some applicants to American University, who didn't receive an interview, were rejected. Has anyone who interviewed heard any notice? Whether a rejection or acceptance or anything

I just heard today that I received an offer. Honestly I’m shocked because they said they can only take 3 students total. I’m still deciding what to do but I promise to release my offer ASAP if I choose not to go. Really excited about this program though. Best of luck to you!

4 hours ago, Psyched21 said:

University of Houston has been radio silent this entire time--sometimes I wonder if the department even got my application, though it does say "submitted" on the portal. My person of interest ignored my introductory emails, the only one who reacted that way.  It was my first choice at the beginning, so the complete lack of response was disappointing.

I don't think you should view the lack of response as a sign of anything... some professors just have a rule they set for themselves that they don't respond to any emails from potential applicants or perhaps they missed the email. Either way I hope you hear something back soon! Good luck!

On 2/25/2021 at 5:24 PM, rlo007 said:

I had a preliminary interview at SHSU back in December and never heard anything beyond that. I emailed the POI several times for feedback and also didnt hear anything. I am wondering how common this is and if typically applicants recieve feedback from POI especially after meeting?

I had a preliminary at SHSU in December and had the official interview in January. I didn't get an offer and post-interview, the POI ignored my emails... so odd and frustrating. This is my second time applying and I've never had a POI not respond.

Edited by spicemelange

21 minutes ago, coconut123 said:

I have heard nothing so far post-interview!

Hi guys - I contacted Cathy (the person who coordinated interviews) last week, and she informed me all initial offers went out on the 19th and that I was waitlisted. So you may want to reach out to inquire as to wether or not this is the case for you as well!

53 minutes ago, eloisetheapplicant said:

Do people ever get Master's degrees in Mental Health Counseling as a step toward getting into a Clinical Psychology PhD program? Or does an MA in Counseling Psychology limit you to attend a PhD in Counseling Psychology?

A mental health counseling MA can lead to a Counseling Psych or Clinical Psych PhD. The difference is, if you have an MA in mental health counseling, you will usually take one year longer at a Clinical Psych PhD (6 years) than a Counseling Psych PhD (5 years).

Keep in mind that mental health counseling MAs are clinically-focused degrees usually. So it requires you to boost your research experience independently, rather than it being built into the curriculum. Clinical psych MA degrees or general psych MA degrees are more likely to help with research experience.

2 hours ago, eloisetheapplicant said:

Do people ever get Master's degrees in Mental Health Counseling as a step toward getting into a Clinical Psychology PhD program? Or does an MA in Counseling Psychology limit you to attend a PhD in Counseling Psychology?

I'm currently finishing up my masters in Mental Health Counseling and applying this round. I'd be more than happy to talk more about this with you if you want to DM me. There are some important differences! 

13 hours ago, SendMeAnEmailPlz said:

A mental health counseling MA can lead to a Counseling Psych or Clinical Psych PhD. The difference is, if you have an MA in mental health counseling, you will usually take one year longer at a Clinical Psych PhD (6 years) than a Counseling Psych PhD (5 years).

Keep in mind that mental health counseling MAs are clinically-focused degrees usually. So it requires you to boost your research experience independently, rather than it being built into the curriculum. Clinical psych MA degrees or general psych MA degrees are more likely to help with research experience.

One extra benefit is that let's be honest, Clinical PhDs are superbly competitive, and you can do all the right things and still not have it work out. With a MHC you can at least move on with your career if the Clinical PhD is not in the cards for you. If you want to do counseling that is, and if you don't then obviously you shouldn't pursue this. 

Out of curiosity, did anyone get rejected from The University of Akron's counseling psychology program after interviewing? I am on the waitlist and am trying to figure out if everyone who interviewed was either accepted or waitlisted, or if some people were rejected. Also, is anyone who was accepted planning to release their spot? Thanks :) Feel free to DM if that's more comfortable!