Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 minute ago, Oxford_comma2 said:

Guys thanks for reacting to my post because now when I refresh my email, I at least have new emails to look at ❤️

? but then you get a little red notification on your email and you think it’s a decision letter from a school and then it’s disappointing when it’s not 

Oh friend, I have 4,000+ unread emails, another one doesn't surprise me anymore. At least these are from people that know I exist, as opposed to the donation department of my undergrad which just sends me mass emails asking for money. :)

Plus I'm praying for a phone call more than an email at this point. I feel like phone calls are more likely to be an acceptance. :P

1 minute ago, Oxford_comma2 said:

Plus I'm praying for a phone call more than an email at this point. I feel like phone calls are more likely to be an acceptance. :P

I've received an acceptance via email! So don't immediately panic if you get an email from a program :) Good luck to you!!!

49 minutes ago, Oxford_comma2 said:

80% of my life is cycling between grad café, my email, r/gradadmissions and discord. ?

1 hour ago, HopefullyAccepted said:

Just another day of obsessively refreshing my email. #thisistorture

I mean every day feels a bit like 10 years.... Meanwhile, I doubt I will hear from my waitlist until April 15th or so so I am in perpetual limbo and want to just assume rejection to move on and make plans, but holding on to a tiny bit of hope that I can't let go of. So my days include cycling between crying a bit, changing my plan B, obsessively overanalyzing past email correspondences, crying a bit more, trying to explain to non psych people what this actually is like (given up on that one), hiding from most my relatives and friends because I feel too embarrassed that I may have not gotten in anywhere but it's pointless to explain to them how competitive this field is in general, crying a bit more, changing plan B again, contemplating giving up, checking my emails every 30 min, checking grad cafe results every 30 min, crying a bit more. RINSE and REPEAT. PS. I swear I was a "normal" and sane person before this process. 

1 minute ago, Biopsychosocialyzing said:

I mean every day feels a bit like 10 years.... Meanwhile, I doubt I will hear from my waitlist until April 15th or so so I am in perpetual limbo and want to just assume rejection to move on and make plans, but holding on to a tiny bit of hope that I can't let go of. So my days include cycling between crying a bit, changing my plan B, obsessively overanalyzing past email correspondences, crying a bit more, trying to explain to non psych people what this actually is like (given up on that one), hiding from most my relatives and friends because I feel too embarrassed that I may have not gotten in anywhere but it's pointless to explain to them how competitive this field is in general, crying a bit more, changing plan B again, contemplating giving up, checking my emails every 30 min, checking grad cafe results every 30 min, crying a bit more. RINSE and REPEAT. PS. I swear I was a "normal" and sane person before this process. 

Completely understand! It’s so frustrating that people don’t understand how competitive it is to get into a doctorate program in psychology compared to other graduate programs. I think it was just a bad year to apply due to Covid, the waiving of the GRE’s, and the amount of applicants. So grateful for this community where we can relate to one another and vent our grievances. Chin up!

I’m irriationally checking my junk email inbox  *just in case* so much so that I’m now getting lovely ads in my normal inbox. And of course my heart bungee jumps each time it sees a new email come in only to be asked if I want to invest in an ED pill. 

Is anyone here accepted to The University of Miami's counseling program and willing to DM me to let me know whether you are you planning to accept or to release your offer? This is where I want to go, but I am currently waitlisted. I am trying not to become hopeless or too hopeful, and so, I want to find any information I can to ground myself! 

32 minutes ago, lets-hope said:

Is anyone here accepted to The University of Miami's counseling program and willing to DM me to let me know whether you are you planning to accept or to release your offer? This is where I want to go, but I am currently waitlisted. I am trying not to become hopeless or too hopeful, and so, I want to find any information I can to ground myself! 

I’m in the same boat as you! Fingers crossed!

On 2/28/2021 at 12:40 PM, missmusical said:

For those of you who have completed a masters prior to applying for clinical PhDs, did you receive an MA/MS in clinical psychology or general psychology? Going off this list of programs someone provided: https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

and it seems only a select few are actually masters in clinical psych. What other masters psych programs do research and prep you for a PhD in clinical psych?

I'll be applying for clinical phd programs for fall 22 and I'm currently a developmental psychology masters student, but I'm working in two clinical labs at my school. Everyone in my developmental cohort gets research experience, mostly outside of developmental labs. 

1 hour ago, Hayley_L said:

I did, I received a email yesterday - got waitlisted. 

Interesting, I reached out yesterday but have not gotten a response. Would you mind Dming me to tell me who you applied to work under? 

20 hours ago, shouldhavebeenagoatfarmer said:

I’m irriationally checking my junk email inbox  *just in case* so much so that I’m now getting lovely ads in my normal inbox. And of course my heart bungee jumps each time it sees a new email come in only to be asked if I want to invest in an ED pill. 

The WORST thing is some schools already put you on their grad student newsletter or send you info about upcoming events before they've even made admissions decisions so you get a heart attack every time you see their name pop up

38 minutes ago, missmusical said:

The WORST thing is some schools already put you on their grad student newsletter or send you info about upcoming events before they've even made admissions decisions so you get a heart attack every time you see their name pop up

WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT

Just curious (as an antsy waitlisted person) — does anyone know which Clinical PhD programs are still interviewing or are still sending out their first round of offers? The only program I know of that has not had interviews yet is Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine. Just wondering which other programs are interviewing in March.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:40 PM, missmusical said:

For those of you who have completed a masters prior to applying for clinical PhDs, did you receive an MA/MS in clinical psychology or general psychology? Going off this list of programs someone provided: https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

and it seems only a select few are actually masters in clinical psych. What other masters psych programs do research and prep you for a PhD in clinical psych?

I will be earning an MS in clinical psychology from Western Kentucky University this spring and feel like the program really prepared me for clinical PhD programs. Post undergrad I applied to 12 PhD programs and got 3 interviews and 0 offers. This cycle I applied to 15 PhD programs, got 13 interviews, and 3 offers! 

28 minutes ago, raindr0p said:

Just curious (as an antsy waitlisted person) — does anyone know which Clinical PhD programs are still interviewing or are still sending out their first round of offers? The only program I know of that has not had interviews yet is Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine. Just wondering which other programs are interviewing in March.

According to the results page, Syracuse University still hasn't sent out interview invites. I don't know how accurate that is because their original interview dates were supposed to be in mid/late February, but as we all have experienced, this application season has been weird so anything is possible. Good luck!

I have come to the conclusion that the worst part of applying to graduate programs isn’t all the personal statements and essays that need to be written, isn’t studying or taking the GRE, isn’t researching specific programs, but is the waiting period after an interview. 

Edited by HopefullyAccepted

On 3/1/2021 at 8:37 AM, Oxford_comma2 said:

Virginia tech, anyone? Historically they've sent out notifications the last week of Feb...

I got an email on Monday from my PI saying decisons will take longer this year because they have to redo the budget due to two professors (probably a couple?) announcing they were going to be leaving just last week.

Just now, NervousNelly12 said:

I got an email on Monday from my PI saying decisons will take longer this year because they have to redo the budget due to two professors (probably a couple?) announcing they were going to be leaving just last week.

OH SHIT I hope it's not my PI!!!!!