Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, missmusical said:

Was told I'd hear back from Ohio University probably by the end of this week (so... today). I havent heard back yet so I'm assuming it's a 'no'.I have one other interview next week but am feeling really disheartened. This is my second time applying to PhD programs. I'm thinking of contingency plans and am considering applying to clinical psych Masters programs. I cannot, for the life of me, find a list of competitive schools. Where should I be looking?! I would likely reapply to PhD programs after receiving my masters. I want something research-heavy. 

Here's a link to a list of Psych Master's programs. If you definitely want to pursue a PhD, you can complete a Psych Sciences master's program to get more research experience. Some programs have clinical faculty you can work with on research. Clinical Psych Masters programs are intense because for some you have to do a thesis, plus clinical courses, plus clinical training hours.

https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

Edited by DrApple

12 minutes ago, DrApple said:

Here's a link to a list of Psych Master's programs. If you definitely want to pursue a PhD, you can complete a Psych Sciences master's program to get more research experience. Some programs have clinical faculty you can work with on research. Clinical Psych Masters programs are intense because for some you have to do a thesis, plus clinical courses, plus clinical training hours.

https://clinicalpsychphd.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/funded-psychology-masters-programs/

Thank you so much! I do have a lot of research experience already (3 years full-time plus an additional 1.5 years part-time). Unfortunately, I only have a few under review or drafted manuscripts, which POIs may consider insufficient given the amount of time I've been a research assistant. I am hoping a research-heavy masters program will give my ample opportunities to to publish and present (an absurd amount of red tape at my current job that made it almost impossible to get any poster presentations or writing done... I more or less had to beg). 

14 minutes ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

I saw someone was accepted to one of the programs I interviewed at (Miami U). Does the DCT usually send out acceptance emails or are they usually sent out by the PI? And are acceptances usually sent out at the same time across faculty? I'm already getting bummed out.

Also wondering about this program!

1 hour ago, NotYourMothersGrad said:

I saw someone was accepted to one of the programs I interviewed at (Miami U). Does the DCT usually send out acceptance emails or are they usually sent out by the PI? And are acceptances usually sent out at the same time across faculty? I'm already getting bummed out.

56 minutes ago, clinpsychgradschool said:

Also wondering about this program!

This was my post! I received notification of acceptance from a staff member and a signed letter from the grad director of psych. I did not hear directly from the DCT nor my POI (yet). I also got a notification that my application status has been updated. I hope this helps! When I have formally accepted the offer, I will mention my POI's initials. 

41 minutes ago, impicklerick said:

Has anyone heard from Florida institute of technology for the psyd?

The website says they’ll likely reach out around the 5th (2 weeks before the interview date) so I’m a little nervous now ?

42 minutes ago, Sikedout said:

Does anyone know when UMSL acceptances will be sent out? 

During interview day, the DCT mentioned they would be making their initial decisions the second week of Feb, but that they have to send them to the grad school for approval. Hoping to make acceptance calls Feb 19th. 

One of the schools I applied to apparently send me two emails and a voicemail about interview invite and I never got it!! I mean checked all my folders everywhere. I by chance emailed my POI today asking if all invites had been extended because I was getting so upset, who then apparently fwd my email to admissions who then emailed me and asked if I had gotten any of the emails. They didn’t say whether I could still interview, just asked me to confirm I got the email. I know that the deadline to sign up for interviews was 2 days ago... I of course emailed as soon as I got her email but now it’s Friday evening and she will probably not reply until Monday. Anyone think they will still let me Interview? I am shaking as this is for a program I really really wanted to interview! The interview date is on the 15th 

Edited by PyschMama

25 minutes ago, chickenlover12 said:

I know someone posted that they would be contacting UND about interview invites on the results page - was there any resolution to that?

So I’m not the person who posted on the results page about contacting them, but I have been in contact with a current student there. They were SUPPOSED to send invites out on Thursday and that didn’t happen. Then they were going to send them out yesterday but as of 2pm yesterday she said they still hadn’t sent them out. So idk if they were just never sent yesterday or if I didn’t get an invite ??‍♀️

I have a very random question. For those of you who received an interview invitation from George Mason, did anyone get a Starbucks gift package from them? They had previously asked me what my beverage preference is, and today I received this Starbucks gift package with two kinds of coffee, cookies, and a mug. None of my friends sent it, so I'm just wondering if it could be from GM given that they asked me if I prefer coffee, tea or hot chocolate :) 

If it's indeed from them, what a sweet gesture! 

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the best way to answer questions asking you to describe a time that you had a disagreement with a coworker or supervisor and how you handled it? I worry that I don’t come off well when I answer these sorts of questions. I’m not great at storytelling, and I used to be someone who wasn’t great at handling disagreements. What sorts of things are interviewers looking for with this question?

1 hour ago, absolutelynott said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the best way to answer questions asking you to describe a time that you had a disagreement with a coworker or supervisor and how you handled it? I worry that I don’t come off well when I answer these sorts of questions. I’m not great at storytelling, and I used to be someone who wasn’t great at handling disagreements. What sorts of things are interviewers looking for with this question?

Hi! I think it's always best to answer these questions honestly but one thing I always emphasize is that I make sure that I take time to process the argument and then respond when I'm feeling calmer. I honestly tell them that I want to respond in the most rational way possible and that if I answer back with a hot-head, I may not. I use an example where a PI said something really problematic and I took some time to process the comment itself and think about how I wanted to address it, and then emailed the PI and set up a meeting so we can work through the comment and how it affected me.

6 minutes ago, SpoopyScholar said:

Hi! I think it's always best to answer these questions honestly but one thing I always emphasize is that I make sure that I take time to process the argument and then respond when I'm feeling calmer. I honestly tell them that I want to respond in the most rational way possible and that if I answer back with a hot-head, I may not. I use an example where a PI said something really problematic and I took some time to process the comment itself and think about how I wanted to address it, and then emailed the PI and set up a meeting so we can work through the comment and how it affected me.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful! I usually get such vague advice about these sorts of questions, so I really appreciate you giving an example.

4 hours ago, chickenlover12 said:

I know someone posted that they would be contacting UND about interview invites on the results page - was there any resolution to that?

4 hours ago, Copingwithcarbs said:

So I’m not the person who posted on the results page about contacting them, but I have been in contact with a current student there. They were SUPPOSED to send invites out on Thursday and that didn’t happen. Then they were going to send them out yesterday but as of 2pm yesterday she said they still hadn’t sent them out. So idk if they were just never sent yesterday or if I didn’t get an invite ??‍♀️

So I just got an invite from UND! It came from admissions and not my POI. I hope you hear something too!

17 minutes ago, chickenlover12 said:

Just heard back, too! :)

Congratulations! To both posters of UND invites. I've heard very good things about their program.

This one sucks as the DCT called me Wednesday and were asking about my app as I have a master's and they categorize master's based off of practicum experiences. I was hopeful!

Anyone know if SHSU sent out admissions offers yet?? I heard they were going out at the end of this past week, and I haven't heard anything from my PI, who's usually been great about communicating things throughout this process. Any info is appreciated, thanks!!

Edited by fingers.crossed