Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

After an interview, are you guys sending thank you emails to everyone you met with (all the grad students in the lab you met, other random pis you met, AND your pi)? Or are you just sending it to the PI? 
I don’t know how these things work and don’t want to seem insane for sending everyone an email but also don’t want to be rude if most people do that. 

1 hour ago, 379337933793 said:

I wish I didn't even waste my time applying this cycle, wow. 

I have been there. It is my 3rd time applying, and the first time I had literally no clinical experience, so it was completely a wash. It is so hard to come to terms with when you think about all the time and money you spent!! However, I will say I am thankful for each application cycle, and I have learned so much along the way. Not to mention the fact that rejection doesn't phase me anymore - it has made me stronger!! If this year is not your year, some year in the future will be!!!

20 minutes ago, soobak said:

After an interview, are you guys sending thank you emails to everyone you met with (all the grad students in the lab you met, other random pis you met, AND your pi)? Or are you just sending it to the PI? 
I don’t know how these things work and don’t want to seem insane for sending everyone an email but also don’t want to be rude if most people do that. 

I have no special expertise, but after a recent interview, I only sent thank you emails to my PI and her current grad student who I had a pretty in-depth conversation with (but not to other faculty or grad students from other labs). I had read suggestions that you should send thank you notes to everyone, but in my case it felt like too much — even like it might be annoying or come off like I'm just doing it to improve my chances or something. I mentioned in my note to the PI that I had really enjoyed my conversations with other faculty (which was true!). 

That said, I don't think it would hurt you to send a short thank-you email to everyone if that feels natural to you.

29 minutes ago, soobak said:

Based on the advice of a professor in a clinical psych program, it is a good idea to send thank you emails to the grad students and other faculty you met with in addition to your poi. 

12 minutes ago, raindr0p said:

I have no special expertise, but after a recent interview, I only sent thank you emails to my PI and her current grad student who I had a pretty in-depth conversation with (but not to other faculty or grad students from other labs). I had read suggestions that you should send thank you notes to everyone, but in my case it felt like too much — even like it might be annoying or come off like I'm just doing it to improve my chances or something. I mentioned in my note to the PI that I had really enjoyed my conversations with other faculty (which was true!). 

That said, I don't think it would hurt you to send a short thank-you email to everyone if that feels natural to you.

Thanks!! I was leaning towards that (I met with so many people that it might come across weird if I did people in other labs as well) but I think I'll just send it to the grad students in his lab plus the PI. 

8 minutes ago, KeepItCaffeinated said:

Based on the advice of a professor in a clinical psych program, it is a good idea to send thank you emails to the grad students and other faculty you met with in addition to your poi. 

Good to know this is what other people are doing, thank you both!!

1 hour ago, spring2000 said:

I just got this response from ASU Clinical: "Thank you for your email. I am sorry that the admissions committee did not select you for an interview. With nearly 400 applicants and 25-30 interview slots, we are unable to interview many very qualified applicants. Critical in our decision-making process are students' research experiences, research productivity, and match with both our program and specific mentors. The most competitive applicants have more than a year of research experience, have presented at national conferences and/or worked on a manuscript for publication, and have research experience that is highly relevant to one or more potential mentors. I hope this information is helpful in providing some understanding of our process. We wish you the best of luck with your remaining applications."

Wow, I appreciate this in-depth response. It's really helpful to know what competitive applicants look like, and many programs give us so little information in that regard.

Are there any implications behind having an interview scheduled at a later date than other people? E.g. I have an interview on 3/6 but I noticed other people have interviews for the same program on 2/21. Btw this is for a PsyD program so I don't think it's based on individual POI's schedules.

Edited by eloisetheapplicant

Just now, NotYourMothersGrad said:

Honestly didn't occur to me ??‍♀️ If anything I would assume I'd be bugging them and I'm not sure it would have any impact on their decision anyways.

I wholeheartedly recommended sending thank you notes. I've heard that it does matter to some people and I can assure you it would not be perceived as bothering them.

How long has it been since your interview?

Just now, UroboroS said:

I wholeheartedly recommended sending thank you notes. I've heard that it does matter to some people and I can assure you it would not be perceived as bothering them.

How long has it been since your interview?

Over a week for both. I guess if it's not too late I'll send them one ? but I'll keep this in mind for my other ones. Thanks!

Ugh I can't wait until this season is over... it's such a soul-sucking process. I had one interview but it doesn't look like I'll get anymore at this point, and this is already my second time applying. Is it just me or is this year crazy competitive even compared to other application years? Maybe it's a combination of COVID creating less funding and the GRE requirement being waived for many programs, I'm not sure... 

Just now, Kelso123 said:

Ugh I can't wait until this season is over... it's such a soul-sucking process. I had one interview but it doesn't look like I'll get anymore at this point, and this is already my second time applying. Is it just me or is this year crazy competitive even compared to other application years? Maybe it's a combination of COVID creating less funding and the GRE requirement being waived for many programs, I'm not sure... 

For some programs, PsyD at least, some students deferred their admission last year because of covid, so some cohorts are already partially filled with admits from last year.