Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

8 hours ago, EmpatheticMastermind said:

What's the best way to get you updates for this? CUNY/John Jay just announced all GREs are optional 

Thank you! You can also enter as a comment in the document!

Edited by psyconfused

PSA to all program websites: make it easier to find faculty research interests and streamline your content! I am tired of having to scour sites for information about research interests, having to open a million tabs to sort through faculty, and finding faculty webpages with minimal to no information about their current research. It seems like it would be super easy to have one central webpage that has a brief research bio for each faculty member, right? Right?? Ugh. Anyways, end rant lol. 

Has anyone else been using their extra pandemic-induced free time to work on expanding their skillset? I've been learning Python and have started to dip my toes into machine learning. The last few months have been quite the learning curve, but I've started developing a portfolio. Still waiting for a return on investment, but hoping it will pay off in the end, whether it be a job or grad school!

3 hours ago, EileanDonan said:

Has anyone else been using their extra pandemic-induced free time to work on expanding their skillset? I've been learning Python and have started to dip my toes into machine learning. The last few months have been quite the learning curve, but I've started developing a portfolio. Still waiting for a return on investment, but hoping it will pay off in the end, whether it be a job or grad school!

awesome! i wanna get a hang on time-series analysis and machine learning at some point--really cool methods to answer pretty pressing qs.

Hi everyone, I have a question.

I plan on reapplying to a few labs this year, one at which I was an alternate, one where I was waitlisted, and one where I was told I barely missed the cut (and to come back with more national/international posters). I had a decent amount of contact with them last year, so I'm just not sure how to reopen the conversation with them. Do I tell them what I've been up to this year to increase my competitiveness? Do I give them a heads up I'm reapplying and am still super interested in their labs? I am confident in my PI emails normally but these three are throwing me for a loop. Any advice is appreciated! 

On 7/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, justacigar said:

Hi everyone, I have a question.

I plan on reapplying to a few labs this year, one at which I was an alternate, one where I was waitlisted, and one where I was told I barely missed the cut (and to come back with more national/international posters). I had a decent amount of contact with them last year, so I'm just not sure how to reopen the conversation with them. Do I tell them what I've been up to this year to increase my competitiveness? Do I give them a heads up I'm reapplying and am still super interested in their labs? I am confident in my PI emails normally but these three are throwing me for a loop. Any advice is appreciated! 

If you don't mind me asking, what ranking school asked for more posters and what are your pub stats?

On 7/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, HopefulPsych2020 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what ranking school asked for more posters and what are your pub stats?

No I don't mind - I'm honestly not sure what ranking the school is, I don't usually look for that stat. It was Eastern Michigan University. Last year, I had 2 previously presented posters, two posters under review, and one second author publication under review. All of my posters were presented for a regional conference which I think hurt my chances. Also, having such a large chunk under review probably didn't do me any favors. 

17 hours ago, justacigar said:

No I don't mind - I'm honestly not sure what ranking the school is, I don't usually look for that stat. It was Eastern Michigan University. Last year, I had 2 previously presented posters, two posters under review, and one second author publication under review. All of my posters were presented for a regional conference which I think hurt my chances. Also, having such a large chunk under review probably didn't do me any favors. 

Thanks! From your post, you've been here for a bit. What's the consensus on student pubs (e.g., undergrad journal)? Are they seen as equals to poster presentations?

1 hour ago, HopefulPsych2020 said:

Thanks! From your post, you've been here for a bit. What's the consensus on student pubs (e.g., undergrad journal)? Are they seen as equals to poster presentations?

LOL yes I have been here for a bit ? not sure if that means I'm more or less qualified to answer questions, still trying to figure that out ? 

I think publications are preferable to posters, depending on the journal. So, I'm not 100% about undergrad journals. It would probably depend on how easy/difficult it was to get your work published. But generally, manuscripts take much more writing work than posters, and if you had the choice to work on a pub or work on a poster I would probably say to work on publishing something. 

Hi All!

In the process of reapplying to clinical/counseling phd programs, and had a quick question.

What is the general consensus on reaching out to POIs you applied to and/or interviewed with in a previous cycle to ask for feedback on your application? I am interested in reapplying to these POIs, and was wondering what the etiquette is surrounding this. 

24 minutes ago, StayinPositive said:

Hi All!

In the process of reapplying to clinical/counseling phd programs, and had a quick question.

What is the general consensus on reaching out to POIs you applied to and/or interviewed with in a previous cycle to ask for feedback on your application? I am interested in reapplying to these POIs, and was wondering what the etiquette is surrounding this. 

It's worth a shot but I would say don't expect replies. If you interviewed for a lab and got rejected, it may be worth asking, but honestly the whole process is a bit of a crap-shoot. 

On 7/21/2020 at 2:28 PM, Clinapp2017 said:

It's worth a shot but I would say don't expect replies. If you interviewed for a lab and got rejected, it may be worth asking, but honestly the whole process is a bit of a crap-shoot. 

Yep I've heard of people getting the "cold shoulder" from initial emails, follow-ups, and even post-interview thanks and STILL get in. You just never know.

Plus with the pandemic... well, that speaks for itself.

I think I'd reach out if you wan't to get a fall RA position, but if it's for grad school I'd wait until sept-oct

This year has been so crazy and I just need to vent for a minute. I went from having no interviews since April to three in about a week! All at good schools, too! I feel like things might finally be starting to head in the right direction for me (knock on wood...). Has anyone else been hearing back more from RA jobs recently?

12 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Faculty from UC Irvine have announced a brand new clinical psychology program, accepting students for Fall 2021!

OMG!! I've been waiting for this news! I met a faculty member from UCI last year at a conference and she mentioned in passing that they were working on this. Can't believe it's ready for this cycle! 

23 minutes ago, justacigar said:

OMG!! I've been waiting for this news! I met a faculty member from UCI last year at a conference and she mentioned in passing that they were working on this. Can't believe it's ready for this cycle! 

Wow that's awesome! I wonder how APA accreditation works for brand new programs. So exciting!!

52 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Wow that's awesome! I wonder how APA accreditation works for brand new programs. So exciting!!

Accreditation requires a cohort to graduate, so APA instituted accredited on contingency as an accreditation option for newer programs. If granted, it means you graduated from an accredited program minus the outcome data. 

30 minutes ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Accreditation requires a cohort to graduate, so APA instituted accredited on contingency as an accreditation option for newer programs. If granted, it means you graduated from an accredited program minus the outcome data. 

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation! So if students started in the program next fall and they are accredited on contingency, they’d graduate from a fully accredited program even though it wasn’t accredited when they started? 

5 minutes ago, PsychApplicant2 said:

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation! So if students started in the program next fall and they are accredited on contingency, they’d graduate from a fully accredited program even though it wasn’t accredited when they started? 

Correct. As long as the program is accredited on contingency (which really means that they meet all criteria expect graduation data), then you are graduating from an accredited program. They only have a certain amount of time to submit the final self study and such before the visit for full accreditation. 

14 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Correct. As long as the program is accredited on contingency (which really means that they meet all criteria expect graduation data), then you are graduating from an accredited program. They only have a certain amount of time to submit the final self study and such before the visit for full accreditation. 

It seems like there could be some danger in attending a program that is waiting on full accreditation? Although I wouldn't be too worried that a school like UC Irvine would fail to meet the requirements. 

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

It seems like there could be some danger in attending a program that is waiting on full accreditation? Although I wouldn't be too worried that a school like UC Irvine would fail to meet the requirements. 

I agree... I think there could be danger, but like you said, UC Irvine is definitely one of those schools that would meet APA requirements. I guess it depends on what students are willing to take the risk - I'm curious to know how many applicants they'll get this year. Regardless, I'm so excited a new clinical psych program has been formed!!!

2 hours ago, justacigar said:

There is definitely a risk. However, if a program has some solid faculty, it could be a good gamble. Also, even if the program loses accreditation status later on, if you graduate while it still has the contingency status, you have graduated from an accredited program. It's not a chance I would take from Dr. Smith's Psych Shack School of Psychology, but can be a good bet when it's housed in a reputable department such as UC Irvine. 

1 hour ago, ellamarie123 said:

Hey All! I'm about to start my 3rd round of clinical psych applications and am really freaking out a bit...anyone else on their 3rd+ time? 

Third rounder checking in ?‍♀️I am also very nervous. It's really difficult to know how this cycle will shake out. Could be 10x harder, could be better for those of us with extra experience and GRE scores, faculty could have no money for new students... I honestly have no idea. I think the pressure feels more intense this time because I don't know if I have it in me to apply again!