Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

Just now, silvicultrix said:

Hey all, just wondering, have any of you heard from UMD college park? My PI is AG. I saw one interview on the results board, but haven't seen anything since so unsure if invites have already gone out. I so appreciate everyone's willingness to share information and be collaborative on here!

On their website it said they would reach out at the end of January, so I'd assume by next week?

1 hour ago, ekilgallon said:

Just emailed my POI at Yale (who I have had pretty extensive contact with in person and over zoom so I felt comfortable doing this) if all interview invites have been extended. I'll post when they respond! Gosh I'm so nervous. This is my top program and has been for years and I know they received 1,000+ applications to the Clinical Psych program - YIKES!

Excuse me - 1,000+ ?????

7 hours ago, Gavindorf said:

Is there anyone here that applied to Idaho, ISU who didn't submit GRE scores? Was wondering if your application checklist still says "materials needed" because of "awaiting test scores". I'm not sure they've sent out apps yet but that kind of stuff makes me nervous my app never went through to review.

Following up - I don't know if they send by POI or as a whole, but ISU just sent interview invites, according to results page. 

On 1/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, illuminatingvisage said:

Georgia State? Clinical? I haven't heard back from that program either. Their site says interviews are Feb 10 & 12 so I'm still holding out hope.

I saw on the results page that Georgia State already gave out all of their formal interview offers. Super bummed :(

19 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

I believe they normally get ~700, so I can't say I'm that surprised.

You'd have to be absolutely god level to get in this cycle.

700 is for the whole department on usual years, clinical is between 240-450 depending on the year https://psychology.yale.edu/sites/default/files/ic-26_template_cudcp_2020.pdf

3 minutes ago, higaisha said:

700 is for the whole department on usual years, clinical is between 240-450 depending on the year https://psychology.yale.edu/sites/default/files/ic-26_template_cudcp_2020.pdf

Oh wow look at that, my bad. Not sure how I missed that. Technically speaking that's better than some schools, although I imagine the average quality is significantly higher. I wonder what happened with the big uptick in last year's cycle?

Edited by EileanDonan

I had an email prelim interview with my POI at UPitt exactly a week ago, and I haven't gotten a response from her yet... it sounded like she was considering interviewing me but now quite sure what to do from here. 

2 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

I had an email prelim interview with my POI at UPitt exactly a week ago, and I haven't gotten a response from her yet... it sounded like she was considering interviewing me but now quite sure what to do from here. 

I’d say give it another week and email her to ask for updates if you haven’t gotten any information yet. Or at the end of this week, maybe!

Just now, PsychApplicant2 said:

I’d say give it another week and email her to ask for updates if you haven’t gotten any information yet. Or at the end of this week, maybe!

Is that considered rude or impatient?? Ugh, I feel like this is the most stressed and overwhelmed I've been in ages and no one else around me can relate or understand, so I'm forced to vent to a bunch of strangers online ? appreciate yall

8 minutes ago, plantgirl96 said:

Is that considered rude or impatient?? Ugh, I feel like this is the most stressed and overwhelmed I've been in ages and no one else around me can relate or understand, so I'm forced to vent to a bunch of strangers online ? appreciate yall

I honestly don’t think so... does Pitt’s website say anything about interview dates? From what I’ve gathered from talking to professionals, if you can’t find it on the website, it’s fair game to ask about. I would definitely reach out in a few days or next week and ask for an update or if all interview invitations have been sent out if you can’t find it anywhere. Keep it short and sweet and thank them! Or maybe ask the admissions coordinator?

Edited by PsychApplicant2

56 minutes ago, EileanDonan said:

I believe they normally get ~700, so I can't say I'm that surprised.

You'd have to be absolutely god level to get in this cycle.

I would love to see who got in at Yale etc. this cycle! Like show yourself extraterrestrial creature haha

I'm shocked to read in this thread that some applicants applied to 15-20+ schools! I heard about this phenomenon, but didn't think it was prevalent. I struggled to find 6 programs that were strong matches. I totally understand applying to a zillion places to try to improve the odds of admission. But, wow - if this trend continues the number of applicants to each program almost certainly will impact the amount of time that committees can spend on individual review. The field has to figure out a better way of getting the right applicants to the right programs. The current system and trends in admissions are not sustainable.

When I messaged USC, they said, “We have a large increase in applications this cycle, so timing might be stretched. Not all initial interview have been done yet.  Faculty typically start contacting applicants early on and sometimes all the way into April.  However, the majority of the formal interviews are done within February which is when our formal interview day is held.  All applicants are considered, until they receive a deny letter.”

When I messaged my PI, he said, “I believe invitations for interviews started going out today. I don’t think everyone has received a reply yet. You should receive an email soon.” (this was on January 13th).

4 minutes ago, PyschMama said:

I would love to see who got in at Yale etc. this cycle! Like show yourself extraterrestrial creature haha

For real, I'll be doing a lot of peeping around lab websites this coming year. ?

3 minutes ago, socpsyc said:

I'm shocked to read in this thread that some applicants applied to 15-20+ schools! I heard about this phenomenon, but didn't think it was prevalent. I struggled to find 6 programs that were strong matches. I totally understand applying to a zillion places to try to improve the odds of admission. But, wow - if this trend continues the number of applicants to each program almost certainly will impact the amount of time that committees can spend on individual review. The field has to figure out a better way of getting the right applicants to the right programs. The current system and trends in admissions are not sustainable.

I think this is a fair concern. Can you imagine if we had a central system like med school applicants?! We wouldn't know what to do with ourselves.

Still, there's a reason for the competitiveness. In addition to PI's wanting competent students, there simply isn't enough "product" (programs) to satisfy the "customers" (us poor sods). And that ultimately boils down to funding. At what point will this bubble burst?

3 hours ago, DigitalBuddha said:

This is a bit random but I've been killing some time setting up an academic Twitter. Is it weird to add someone who I hope would be a potential POI? I don't want to cross any boundaries and the goal behind adding them is just that I love their content in general and often just search them anyways. My gut feeling is just to wait until after application season is over but I'd love your perspective. 

I felt the same way following potential POI's on Research Gate! I decided to wait until after app season. 

13 minutes ago, expensiveswimmer said:

Hello - is it weird to reach out to assumed rejection POIs to ask about the status of your app? Like for feedback?

I don't think so, I did the same today for Fordham. At worst, you won't hear back from them but at least you won't regret not trying.