Fall 2021 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

1 hour ago, missmusical said:

What do I talk about with faculty that aren't my POI? I've never quite nailed this portion of the interview process! (Or is there somewhere else I should be asking this question)? 

I would also ask them about their research areas. People love to talk about themselves and their work, and it's nice show a little interest. You also never know what those conversations may bring - it's not unheard of to make really good impressions on more than one faculty member and have multiple people in a program interested in you. 

Just now, justacigar said:

Honestly I have a hard time with that as well, but I think on twitter you can follow "topics" so I'd be sure you are following things like "graduate school" "clinical psychology" "post bacc positions" etc.

Thanks for the advice and for letting me join the slack! You have been the only positive part of my day so far and I really needed it. 

3 minutes ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Thanks for the advice and for letting me join the slack! You have been the only positive part of my day so far and I really needed it. 

? wow that made me tear up. I think you'll really like the Slack. Everyone is so supportive and uplifting! Happy to have you!

So about Yale. I heard back from my POI. She got 400+ applications for her alone and she said I was 4th in line for an invite but that she decided to invite 3 people and she sent out those invites last week. SOOOO frustrating to be so close! Shed a few tears over this one. :( Good luck to everyone!

3 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Looks like someone posted on the results page that it was directly from the PI...I guess I'll naively hold on to hope for a bit longer lol 

Yes me too, hope is the only thing we have in this soul-sucking process! I have a feeling we'll know by Friday ?. Fingers crossed for us both!

21 minutes ago, ekilgallon said:

So about Yale. I heard back from my POI. She got 400+ applications for her alone and she said I was 4th in line for an invite but that she decided to invite 3 people and she sent out those invites last week. SOOOO frustrating to be so close! Shed a few tears over this one. :( Good luck to everyone!

I’m so sorry to hear this. :( I know it might not offer much consolation, but I think it’s so impressive that out of the 400+ people, you made it to the top! Your efforts did not go unnoticed and the fact that the POI noticed you is amazing. I wish you luck and hope that you find happiness wherever you end up! 

Edited by ResilientQueen

Just now, ResilientQueen said:

I’m so sorry to hear this. :( I know it might not offer much consolidation, but I think it’s so impressive that out of the 400+ people, you made it to the top! Your efforts did not go unnoticed and the fact that the POI noticed you is amazing. I wish you luck and hope that you find happiness wherever you end up! 

Ugh thank you so much! I had been going to her lab's meetings every week for the whole semester and then to hear this is just heartbreaking. And not to mention this is my second year applying to work with her. She said I was an alternate but everyone said yes to interview. Thank you for the kind words

Anyone know if USC's affiliated staff sent out invites? I only applied to work with them and freaking out as its my top choice :( thanks in advance!

Also for WSU- anyone with PI MES/MS get an invite?

Edited by clincpsych1010

Has anyone heard a PEEP from the Rutgers clinical PhD program? There was 1 post in the results page from the 15th, but looks like the interview invite was directly from a PI. Starting to wonder if the other PIs have sent invites out already... not gonna email the department to ask yet because I don't want to seem impatient, but not knowing is driving me insane ? 

4 hours ago, ClinicalGradCandidate said:

When I messaged USC, they said, “We have a large increase in applications this cycle, so timing might be stretched. Not all initial interview have been done yet.  Faculty typically start contacting applicants early on and sometimes all the way into April.  However, the majority of the formal interviews are done within February which is when our formal interview day is held.  All applicants are considered, until they receive a deny letter.”

When I messaged my PI, he said, “I believe invitations for interviews started going out today. I don’t think everyone has received a reply yet. You should receive an email soon.” (this was on January 13th).

Hi, thanks for reaching out to USC! I’m kinda confused what their email to you means. Does that mean that not all interview invites have gone out? 

2 minutes ago, ResilientQueen said:

Hi, thanks for reaching out to USC! I’m kinda confused what their email to you means. Does that mean that not all interview invites have gone out? 

I was confused when I got the email too. I don’t think I was invited because I feel like he would have said so when I reached out. It seems like not all of them have gone out; however, that was sent to me on the 13th. 

hi everyone! is anyone an international student applying to a program in the US, or an American student applying elsewhere? i was just wondering if the US has a different process for considering international applicants or if it's more competitive because of the pandemic or something like that. i'm Canadian and noticed that almost all the schools in Canada i applied to were not even considering international applicants. and this could be totally unrelated but i've heard back from several Canadian schools but from none in the US so far. just thought i'd ask to see if anyone is having a similar experience!

43 minutes ago, Psych1023 said:

Wow any encouraging advice for those of us who didn’t get interviews from your PI? Thanks for sharing the information! 

All he said was that the people who got interviews typically had more post-grad research experience than me, which is fair considering I just graduated this December. He did say I was a strong candidate though so that's nice I guess.

1 hour ago, clincpsych1010 said:

Anyone know if USC's affiliated staff sent out invites? I only applied to work with them and freaking out as its my top choice :( thanks in advance!

Also for WSU- anyone with PI MES/MS get an invite?

I had a prelim interview with her early this month then was offered an official invite 6 days later for their interview day in late Feb. Good luck with your interviews, you're going to do great and end up somewhere awesome! 

47 minutes ago, PsychologyCat said:

I had a prelim interview with her early this month then was offered an official invite 6 days later for their interview day in late Feb. Good luck with your interviews, you're going to do great and end up somewhere awesome! 

Thanks so much for letting me know!!

2 hours ago, justanotherbutterfly said:

Thank you so much! Also any tips for finding jobs on twitter? I've seen PIs post here and there but I feel like I'm missing so much because I don't follow that many people

I also recommend specifically following @psychchatter on Twitter, they tend to retweet and post a lot of job opportunities and anything related to academic psych Twitter. 

Ugh I hate that GradCafe has a limit on reactions!! I'm trying to heart and upvote everyone but I ran out of reactions ? thats a true sign that I've been glued to my computer all day 

Anyways this is me telling you all that I heart and upvote all of you ❤️ 

Just now, justacigar said:

Ugh I hate that GradCafe has a limit on reactions!! I'm trying to heart and upvote everyone but I ran out of reactions ? thats a true sign that I've been glued to my computer all day 

I've started having this issue too. ? Keep your head up and take my invisible updoot!

4 minutes ago, justacigar said:

I ran into the same issue too ?. Well I guess here's to upvoting and hearting tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, seeyounextyear said:

Would you mind sharing your PI's initials?Just so I can throw away my last hopes ?