2021 Applicants

Definitely agree with all of the previous posts, I have most certainly been feeling quite anxious knowing results will most likely head my way soon. I cannot stop imagining what it will feel like if I do get accepted (but also the disappointment of when I'm rejected) I worked in retail as a manager before getting accepted to my current program, and my worst fear has been having to stay in retail or go back into it after this semester. I do have a backup thankfully, a teaching job, but that hasn't stopped me from panic checking my email and the results section every day. I became really obsessed with results when I applied last time, so I've been trying to limit my time here on Gradcafe. The semester also started for me today, so I'm hoping that can occupy some of my time and keep me from being so obsessive!

Despite being ridden with anxiety, I have so many good feelings for all of us. I remember some of you from the last time I applied, and there is just no way we have not become stronger scholars and people in the last couple of years! I really wish all of us the best and that people get into their dream schools this cycle!

I have diagnosed anxiety but I must say, this waiting process is causing my anxiety to sky rocket. I've been having nightmares and trouble sleeping. All I can think about these days is hearing back from programs. I know I have to exercise patience, but I'm sure I can speak for many of us in saying that it is a lot harder to put it into action. I can't stop obsessively checking the results on here. Thank you all for providing an outlet and a community here on this forum. Glad to know I'm not alone :)

4 hours ago, angrychalupa said:

Just had a panic attack over an email from UC Davis Grad School--turns out, it was just their update on where things stand with Covid. Nearly threw up at work....

haha I got that email too. When I read the subject line: "UC Davis Graduate Admissions......" I was like: omg is this a proposal?!

3 minutes ago, Magic Lantern said:

haha I got that email too. When I read the subject line: "UC Davis Graduate Admissions......" I was like: omg is this a proposal?!

I was dying! And then just like...oh, okay.

What did you apply for? English or Comp Lit?

1 minute ago, angrychalupa said:

samesies! It looks like they might do interviews; have you gotten an interview request?

I haven't. Since their application deadline is Jan 15, I imagine it might take a few more days (weeks?) until we hear from them. Best of luck with your applications! It's good to meet another comp lit applicant. :) 

Just now, Magic Lantern said:

I haven't. Since their application deadline is Jan 15, I imagine it might take a few more days (weeks?) until we hear from them. Best of luck with your applications! It's good to meet another comp lit applicant. :) 

Doesn't alleviate the anxiety ;) And you too! Fingers crossed for us both.

7 hours ago, TheorySchmeory said:

That's very exciting! What program is that for?

It's for UChicago English. It's only strange because the email says "possible interview for admissions" and sends a doodle poll out for availability for interview but then at the end of the email says that they department "cannot interview all applicants at this stage of admissions". It says I should know by the end of the day today if I am indeed being asked to interview. 

Though I explored the 2020 applicant thread and it looks like not everyone who applied gets this email it's still strange that they ask people for availability who they don't plan to interview? I'm nervous about what it means if I don't get a slot? 

14 hours ago, angrychalupa said:

Just had a panic attack over an email from UC Davis Grad School--turns out, it was just their update on where things stand with Covid. Nearly threw up at work....

UT Austin did something similar! I thought I was going to have heart palpitations when I saw the email... turns out it was just a survey about how they could improve their application mostly directed at undergrads and their parents ?

10 minutes ago, kirbs005 said:

UT Austin did something similar! I thought I was going to have heart palpitations when I saw the email... turns out it was just a survey about how they could improve their application mostly directed at undergrads and their parents ?

Are these schools doing this on purpose? Do they find it amusing??

59 minutes ago, angrychalupa said:

Are these schools doing this on purpose? Do they find it amusing??

I definitely don't think it's nefarious, even if we might lean that way. I think a lot of the undergrads have probably already heard back (or at least the early applicants have) so it's not as stressful for them and they want to make sure we have information which is good.

But I did tell them not to send it to grad students because 1) the application being easy/hard isn't going to deter someone from applying to a PhD program and we have to use separate apps for everything anyways 2) It's not funny to send me an email while I'm anxiously waiting to hear back *shrug* 

I'm starting to see calls for acceptances for some schools. Do you all usually assume that if you haven't received a call for an interview or an acceptance, it's usually a rejection? Or do you hold out hope. Curious to know how you all interpret it.

One more (Illinois State extended their deadline) but the anxiety is setting in. I keep saying I'm prepared (I applied to fewer schools than normal, it's more competitive than normal, etc.) but it's still worrying. But the prospect of another round of applications (a third one for me if it were to happen) is kind of anxiety-inducing as well.

Also some schools admit in weird time scales so hearing nothing doesn't necessarily mean bad news

1 hour ago, jkv152 said:

I'm starting to see calls for acceptances for some schools. Do you all usually assume that if you haven't received a call for an interview or an acceptance, it's usually a rejection? Or do you hold out hope. Curious to know how you all interpret it.

My guess is it's a wait list. 

1 hour ago, jkv152 said:

Not getting an interview might be an indicator that you might not be in the final round, but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and what the adcoms might be thinking, so you shouldn't assume anything. It definitely is not the *best* position to be in, but you shouldn't give up hope! 2 years ago when I applied to grad school the first time I was waitlisted a week an a half after the first waitlists went out. I had thought for sure I was out of the running. You never know!

Edited by semiotic_mess

Okay... did anyone just get a weird message from Syracuse about financial aid?? I usually wouldn't think anything of it (just another generic infographic), but this message made my palms a bit sweaty: "After you're admitted to Syracuse for graduate/professional study, you'll receive instructions for accessing MySlice, your secure virtual gateway to life at Syracuse. Your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List will house your Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application and requirements." Anyone else get this message? I'm 99.9% it means literally nothing, but now I'm jumping to wild anger at their AUDACITY to play with my mind like that.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:39 PM, lingc35 said:

Hi! 

Did anyone receive the email from UChicago about a "possible" interview?

I'm very confused about it? Any insights? 

I did, though I have yet to receive a follow up message. I truly have no idea how to interpret it, so of course I'm assuming the worst... Did you receive confirmation?

Also, don't let my over the top anxiety freak you out, and good luck!

Edited by isabelj

7 minutes ago, isabelj said:

I did, though I have yet to receive a follow up message. I truly have no idea how to interpret it, so of course I'm assuming the worst... Did you receive confirmation?

Also, don't let my over the top anxiety freak you out, and good luck!

No confirmation either! 

someone just responded to me on results saying that it means we’re on the long list, those who actually get an interview are shortlist and then they accept about half of those they interview. 

so we can be proud we at least made first round!